[COMPLETE] Discourses of Epictetus - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

If you love Epictetus, you will love the work of Byron Katie. Check out thework.org, it has freed me from the restraint of thoughts that make me suffer.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Problems getting into MW. I tried all the things in the instructions - logged out of regular, went and did forgot password in workflow link, then tried to log in as BC but it said I wasnt authorized. Can you check on this?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops! Try it now.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Sorry but sooo happy it was you not me! :)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

It is still not working for me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It should be working, from my end. Log out of the workflow (the uploader, etc.; you don't have to log out of the forum) and try logging back in with your personal login/password.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Yes! I got in. All set now. Thanks
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Good job on filling in the Magic Window! :thumbs:

I was looking at the sections, and I think the two at the end (Colophon and Uncopyright) are not needed for the audiobook?

Then "Endnotes" in itself is about 38000 words so it would not fit in one section. It's up to you how you want to handle Endnotes, essencially footnotes; you can either read them within the main text, when their number appears, saying something like "Footnote [...] End of Footnote"; you may ignore them altogether; or, you may include just those you find worth including. You can still just record them at the end, but in my opinion, it wouldn't be practical as they won't be easily referenced (linked to the text they refer to).

Here's some more extensive advice on how to handle footnotes: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=English_Pronunciation_Guides#Footnotes
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I decided not to read the footnotes at all. I think Epictetus would want the reader to digest and use in their own way and not how others have interpreted his words. So we can remove 96-98.
Last edited by brownrottger on June 4th, 2021, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

I'm not finding a save button in the compiler for the url link. Anyways, length 14:46.6 https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/discourses_0_epictetus_128kb.mp3
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

NVM I figured it out. Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Looks good.

You don't have to put the tenths of a second, if you don't want to. :)

Be sure to change the very last column from "assigned" to "Ready for PL" (or to "ready for spot PL" if you edited it according to the prooflistener's notes). This status change puts the section into the DPL's "to do" list. ;)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 0 is PL OK! :clap:

I did get the file at duration 14:48 instead of 14:46. (Just mentioning it because you posted the exact time :mrgreen: ) My guess is you added the phrase "End of Introduction" after taking the duration?

I'll make a note in the Magic Window about the filename, and it can be fixed during cataloguing (it should have ## double digits, that is, discourses_00_epictetus_128kb.mp3 )

By the way, I watched the video you posted about Noise Reduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zeZnIBpbQ and wanted to comment that different kinds of background noise can benefit from different settings. In the video, the background noise is some kind of high tone (for which I would actually use the Notch filter, but that is another topic :mrgreen: ) and the settings he is using are quite aggressive. So I don't know what kind of background noise you have, but I think it's worth experimenting with the different settings, while listening with headphones, to check what works best for you. When I record, I get some slight background white noise, so I use lighter settings:
Noise reduction: 10
Sensitivity: 3
Frequency smoothing: 2
If after applying Noise Reduction once, I still notice the background noise, I just run it again. I have found that for my sound, two passes of light noise reduction work better than one aggressive.
And one last thing; whenever I mention Noise Reduction in Audacity, I like to stress that it's a two-step action. Step 1: Select only a part with no speech, just background noise, to "Get Noise Profile". Step 2: Select the whole track to noise clean with "OK" :thumbs:
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Thanks!