COMPLETE: Sam In The Suburbs by P. G. Wodehouse-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

Sam In The Suburbs, by P. G. Wodehouse (1881 - 1975)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/sam-in-the-suburbs-by-p-g-wodehouse/

Volunteers outside the USA: P. G. Wodehouse died in 1975. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
A young and somewhat eccentric American named Sam Shotter is sent by his uncle, a wealthy businessman, to England to get him out of his hair. Sam's uncle sends him to work for Lord Tilbury's well known Mammoth Publishing Company, much against Lord Tilbury's better judgment. Sam accidentally comes to reside in Valley Fields, that peaceful suburb of milk and honey, where many complications of romantic, business, social and criminal natures ensue. This book also marks the first appearance of Chimp Twist, "a man so crooked he could hide behind a spiral staircase", and his (alternately) associates and rivals in misdoing, Dolly and Soapy Molloy. This book was published in England under the title Sam The Sudden. (Summary by Zach Hoyt)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.google.com/books/edition/Sam_in_the_Suburbs/-bdHAAAAYAAJ?hl

Target completion date: 2021-11-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sam In The Suburbs. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Sam In The Suburbs, by P. G. Wodehouse. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Sam In The Suburbs, by P. G. Wodehouse. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sam In The Suburbs, by P. G. Wodehouse."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: sam_##_wodehouse_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. sam_01_wodehouse_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by zachh on August 31st, 2021, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I am planning to read this from a physical 1925 edition of the book, and I will upload pictures of the title and copyright pages to show that it is PD. In the project generator I put in a link to the Google Books text that KevinS kindly found for me. I'm probably going to move pretty slowly on recording this book now that summer is here, but I will record at least one chapter a month, and likely no more than one or two a week depending on the length. I've been a fan of Wodehouse since I was 9 or 10 and am looking forward to trying to record one of his books.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I would be most gratified if allowed to serve as DPL.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I will be deeply honored by your kind service as DPL. You helped me learn about DPLing back in the winter, both by PLing my first book and then by letting me PL the last part of one of your books, and it was all quite enlightening. Thank you very much.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Zach,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
zachh

Post by zachh »

MaryAnn, thank you very much for MCing this for me. I think I've uploaded the two zip files the right way for the PD check, and I'll put the links in below:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/P5210020_jpeg.zip

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/P5210021_jpeg.zip
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks. Those are fine. I'll move you over to going solo.

MaryAnn
zachh

Post by zachh »

MaryAnn, thank you for checking the pictures for me, and for making the filename so short. It's very easy to type.

KevinS, I've uploaded Chapter 1. I'm planning to go quite slowly so please don't feel like you need to PL at any particular time, I know you have a lot of projects going on.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:08 am MaryAnn, thank you for checking the pictures for me, and for making the filename so short. It's very easy to type.

KevinS, I've uploaded Chapter 1. I'm planning to go quite slowly so please don't feel like you need to PL at any particular time, I know you have a lot of projects going on.
Got it!

Slow works well for me as I'm dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck. I'm trying to work out a better computer posture.
zachh

Post by zachh »

That sounds very painful and unpleasant, I hope you'll feel better soon. My target date to finish reading for this project is September 31, and that may have been overly optimistic, so there's lots of time.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:08 am KevinS, I've uploaded Chapter 1. I'm planning to go quite slowly so please don't feel like you need to PL at any particular time, I know you have a lot of projects going on.
PL OK!
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 2 is finally ready for PL. I just downloaded Tales Of St. Austins, and I'm looking forward to listening to it as soon as I get caught up, in a couple of weeks or so.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: June 10th, 2021, 4:08 pm Chapter 2 is finally ready for PL. I just downloaded Tales Of St. Austins, and I'm looking forward to listening to it as soon as I get caught up, in a couple of weeks or so.
I hope you enjoy the Tales.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: June 10th, 2021, 4:08 pm Chapter 2 is finally ready for PL.
PL OK!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I listened to the Tales Of St. Austins a couple of weeks ago and very much enjoyed your reading of them. I'd never known about that book before. Progress on my recording and editing has been glacially slow, but Chapter 3 is done at last. We've been having a run of Sundays with nice weather so I have been out canoeing on my day off instead of in Librivoxing. Once fall arrives I should get back up to a normal speed. Thank you very much.