[COMPLETE]Gaudium Crucis: A meditation for Good Friday-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

So when you said you had started recording, what you meant was you were practically done. :wink:

I'll try to get started on this over this weekend, if I can snatch some time.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:46 pm So when you said you had started recording, what you meant was you were practically done. :wink:

I'll try to get started on this over this weekend, if I can snatch some time.
Yes and no. I just charged through it.

And please don't feel you need to rush. I'm on a roll with some Wodehouse.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kevin, I think I'm going to really truly enjoy listening to this. :9: What a great text, just from this first section, and you read it well. I look forward to hearing more, but I only had time for one tonight.

2:03 Word change here. I might not have noticed it if I wasn't following along, so I don't know that it counts as part of standard PL. But, for what it's worth, the text reads (p. viii), "the freezing reason's colder part." I hear "the freezing region's colder part."
5:20 The Greek word here is pronounced IK-thoos, if you'd like to include it. Personally, I think that you should, just as we wouldn't omit or simply translate French or German words that sometimes appear in the texts we read.
13:41 Again, I would not have caught this one had I not had the text in front of me. But here (p. 6), the author repeats this clause for emphasis: "Suffers us not to be silent." I suspect that you heard the repetition in editing and thought it was a mistake. :wink:
16:01-16:15 In this section, you have two takes of "and we come in its light and peace to listen if the risen Christ will speak some word to us from out the glory." (p. 7-8) Both takes sound good to me, so just choose one to keep and one to toss.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 9th, 2021, 8:00 pm Kevin, I think I'm going to really truly enjoy listening to this. :9: What a great text, just from this first section, and you read it well. I look forward to hearing more, but I only had time for one tonight.

2:03 Word change here. I might not have noticed it if I wasn't following along, so I don't know that it counts as part of standard PL. But, for what it's worth, the text reads (p. viii), "the freezing reason's colder part." I hear "the freezing region's colder part."
5:20 The Greek word here is pronounced IK-thoos, if you'd like to include it. Personally, I think that you should, just as we wouldn't omit or simply translate French or German words that sometimes appear in the texts we read.
13:41 Again, I would not have caught this one had I not had the text in front of me. But here (p. 6), the author repeats this clause for emphasis: "Suffers us not to be silent." I suspect that you heard the repetition in editing and thought it was a mistake. :wink:
16:01-16:15 In this section, you have two takes of "and we come in its light and peace to listen if the risen Christ will speak some word to us from out the glory." (p. 7-8) Both takes sound good to me, so just choose one to keep and one to toss.
Thank you. I really enjoyed this text. I found it provocative, though that may be too strong of a word.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 1 is PL ok! :thumbs:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 11th, 2021, 7:28 pm Section 1 is PL ok! :thumbs:
Thanks! Technically Section 2, but I know what you mean! (Hahah!) I should have used a Section 00; I learned my lesson.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hah! That's what I meant!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:19 pm Hah! That's what I meant!
I know, I know. From the very beginning.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 3:

13:30 This is one I'll call OPTIONAL. It's quite clear what is meant, but it sounds odd here. P. 29 says: "...and to the word of grace on the one hand corresponds the silence of doom on the other." I hear: "...and to the word of grace on the other hand corresponds the silence of doom on the other."

Section 4 PL ok! :thumbs:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm about to start proof listening section 5, and if all goes as planned, I'll follow it up immediately with 6, 7, and 8.

Stand by. :mrgreen:

(Just to clarify, Kevin, not to sway you in either direction... If you do decide after all to change the numbering so that you have sections 0-7 instead of 1-8, I can still make that change with minimal effort. Just let me know.)

EDIT: Oh except then you'd need to change intros/outros. I forgot that was in the audio too. No worries! :thumbs:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 31st, 2021, 3:03 pm I'm about to start proof listening section 5, and if all goes as planned, I'll follow it up immediately with 6, 7, and 8.

Stand by. :mrgreen:

(Just to clarify, Kevin, not to sway you in either direction... If you do decide after all to change the numbering so that you have sections 0-7 instead of 1-8, I can still make that change with minimal effort. Just let me know.)

EDIT: Oh except then you'd need to change intros/outros. I forgot that was in the audio too. No worries! :thumbs:
I'm too lazy to change things now. (Maybe I should a better word than 'lazy.') But I have learned my lesson!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

No, don't worry about it. I also don't know that I'd pick the word "lazy," but I agree that it isn't worth it at this point. I wouldn't have suggested it if I'd remembered that the audio would need changing too, not just sections numbers in the MW.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 5:

17:20 OPTIONAL suggestion. This is a personal stylistic choice, and it works fine the way you have it. P. 58: "Let not him who seeks [eternal life?] cease till he finds." You have read this as: "Let not him who seeks, bracket, eternal life, question mark, close bracket, cease till he finds." Personally, I find this stilted and clunky, and would probably have chosen to read it as: "Let not him who seeks (pause) eternal life? (pause) cease till he finds," speaking the words "eternal life" with a rising inflection. But as I said, that is a personal choice. So I put this out simply for your consideration. If you still like your choice best, then by all means disregard this suggestion.

Otherwise PL ok!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

6 PL ok!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: May 31st, 2021, 3:48 pm Section 5:

17:20 OPTIONAL suggestion. This is a personal stylistic choice, and it works fine the way you have it. P. 58: "Let not him who seeks [eternal life?] cease till he finds." You have read this as: "Let not him who seeks, bracket, eternal life, question mark, close bracket, cease till he finds." Personally, I find this stilted and clunky, and would probably have chosen to read it as: "Let not him who seeks (pause) eternal life? (pause) cease till he finds," speaking the words "eternal life" with a rising inflection. But as I said, that is a personal choice. So I put this out simply for your consideration. If you still like your choice best, then by all means disregard this suggestion.

Otherwise PL ok!
Yes, it is clunky. I'll see what I can do. (I puzzled over this a good while already, but I value your opinion greatly.)