(Complete) The Story Of The World: A Simple History For Boys And Girls, by Elizabeth O'Neill -lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lisad

Post by lisad »

The Story Of The World: A Simple History For Boys And Girls, by Elizabeth O'Neill (1877 - 1951)

Abandoned Sept 6, 2021. Reader last active in May
Reactivated as group project 10/29/2021

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-story-of-the-world-a-simple-history-for-boys-and-girls-by-elizabeth-oneill/

Dedicatory Letter. Dear Doris, I could not tell you all the things which have ever happened in the world, but I have tried to tell you shortly about all the most important things from the very beginning, even before people had come into the World at all, right down to our own wonderful times. I have chosen the greatest men and women to tell you about, and in reading their stories I hope you will understand better something of what the times were like in which they lived, and what the other people too were like who were not so great and the kind of lives they led. The pictures in the book are not like those in most of the books you see and read, because most of them are not pictures made by people who are alive now, but they are copies of pictures, and statues, and buildings made by the very people you are reading about in the book. When you are reading about the Egyptians you get a picture of a pyramid made by the Egyptians themselves 6000 years ago. When you read about the Greeks you find pictures of statues of great Greek statesmen made by great Greek artists long ago, and so on. In the Middle Ages you are given pictures from the beautiful stained glass windows and the wonderful manuscripts which the people of the Middle Ages knew so well how to make. Sometimes the drawing may seem a little curious to you, but it is much more interesting for you to have these pictures than imaginative pictures made by people who are living now. Just as all the pictures are true so all the stories are true too. Indeed, there were many tales I could have told you which are often told to children as history, but are not true at all. I hope you will like those I have told just as well, for after all history should be true. Very affectionately I dedicate the book to you. (Summary by Elizabeth ONeill)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/storyofworldsimp00onei/

Target completion date: 2021-12-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/History; *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: history, education

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of The Story Of The World: A Simple History For Boys And Girls. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. Read by Lisa-Marie Duffield." "The Story Of The World: A Simple History For Boys And Girls, by Elizabeth O'Neill. Chapter #, Section Title."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Story Of The World: A Simple History For Boys And Girls, by Elizabeth O'Neill."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: storyoftheworld_##_oneill_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. storyoftheworld_01_oneill_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by lisad on May 4th, 2021, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I would enjoy serving as DPL, if you'll have me.
lisad

Post by lisad »

KevinS wrote: May 4th, 2021, 11:58 am I would enjoy serving as DPL, if you'll have me.
Thank you so much! I look forward to journeying together!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi lisad,

I'll set this up for you. The MW will be available shortly. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Please also note I have shortened the suggested filenames.

If you have any questions, let me know. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
lisad

Post by lisad »

Thank you so much. I will get started on these first tasks!
lisad

Post by lisad »

Last edited by lisad on May 6th, 2021, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lisad

Post by lisad »

I should note, I have opted to include the picture captions in the reading at a nearby paragraph break because they include interesting information, and this will be helpful for those who may use the audio to read along with the text. I use the following format:

"Picture Caption" ..... "End Caption"

:D :D lisad
lisad

Post by lisad »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lisad wrote: May 5th, 2021, 7:21 pm Here goes! Chapter 1 uploaded and added.
21:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/storyoftheworld_01_oneill_128kb.mp3
PL OK!

I like how you have included the captions.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

PL OK!
lisad

Post by lisad »

Thank you Kevin! I was away travelling and Scouting for a bit, but will be back on track and hopefully uploading more things all week!
Lisa
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Lisad,

Still planning to work on this? Please post with an update.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

No response from the reader. Last logon in May. Moving thread to abandoned.
Jo
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Reactivated as group project
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be happy to serve as DPL.