COMPLETE [SOLO] The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/the-story-of-my-life-version-3-by-helen-keller/

The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller (1888 - 1968)

Volunteers outside the USA: Helen Keller died in 1968. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a young woman studying at Radcliffe College. Keller shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn how to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student. (Summary by Victoria Neely)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2397

Target completion date: 2021-08-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Story of My Life. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: storyofmylife_##_keller_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. storyofmylife_01_keller_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Leni

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hello! Just making sure you know, this will be version 3 of this book in our catalog. That doesn't mean you can't read it, but some people prefer not to record books that have already been done. If you still wish to go ahead and read it, just let me know and I can MC this for you. :)
Leni
=================
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Thank you so much, Leni! This is a meaningful one that I really enjoyed, and even though others have already recorded their own versions, I decided I still wanted to make it my first solo project. :)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Perfect! I have set it up.

Since this will be your first solo, you will need to set up your login for the window. Here is a document that explains how to do it. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs Please observe that the forum login and the window login are not the same!

Also, as a soloist, you are the coordinator of your project. That means you should fill in your window with the titles of sections, and add the links and length of recording when you complete a section. Here are some instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Please, feel free to ask if you have any doubts with any of this. :) I will leave the project in the Launchpad for a few days, to see if we can attract a DPLer. Then, I will move it to Going Solo.
Leni
=================
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Thank you kindly! :D I will look over the instructions and update the window later today.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Chapter 1 recorded and added to the window:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_01_keller_128kb.mp3

Duration: 9:33
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Looks good! I will announce for a PLer.

ETA: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=87199
Leni
=================
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Thank you!
Frankely728

Post by Frankely728 »

I'm a newbie and just listened to chapter 1 while following along with text. I checked certain pronunciations such as "clematis" and "jessamine" as well as the required intro verbiage and 5 second of silence at all. It sounds good to me - what an interesting, well read text! Any/all feedback welcome. Thanks Laurie
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Frankely728 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 2:02 pm I'm a newbie and just listened to chapter 1 while following along with text. I checked certain pronunciations such as "clematis" and "jessamine" as well as the required intro verbiage and 5 second of silence at all. It sounds good to me - what an interesting, well read text! Any/all feedback welcome. Thanks Laurie
Thanks very much, and welcome! :) I'm still new at this too. Yes, those were definitely words I wasn't sure about either and had to look up. Tricksy flower names!
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Just realized I'm not sure what the protocol is once a section has had a proof listener. Leni, is it fine if I'm the one who marks something as PL OK?
Frankely728

Post by Frankely728 »

You're welcome and thanks. Nice of you to put the book once again out into the inter-sphere :)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Teabender wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:20 pm Just realized I'm not sure what the protocol is once a section has had a proof listener. Leni, is it fine if I'm the one who marks something as PL OK?
Yes, if the person is just a Proof-Listener (that is, the person is not a DPL, Dedicated Proof-Listener, comitted to listening to the whole book) you can change the status of the section to PL OK. A DPL would have access to the window, and then they could do it themselves. :D
Leni
=================
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Leni wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:53 pm
Teabender wrote: May 7th, 2021, 6:20 pm Just realized I'm not sure what the protocol is once a section has had a proof listener. Leni, is it fine if I'm the one who marks something as PL OK?
Yes, if the person is just a Proof-Listener (that is, the person is not a DPL, Dedicated Proof-Listener, comitted to listening to the whole book) you can change the status of the section to PL OK. A DPL would have access to the window, and then they could do it themselves. :D
Ah, good to know! Thanks, I'll go do that now. :)
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

:thumbs:
Leni
=================