COMPLETE [SOLO] The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

If this project still needs a DPL, I would like to offer my services. I read this book in High School over 60 years ago, and recall it having a profound effect on me. I would love to read it again.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

msfry wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:57 pm If this project still needs a DPL, I would like to offer my services. I read this book in High School over 60 years ago, and recall it having a profound effect on me. I would love to read it again.
That would be wonderful, thank you! Her story really is inspiring.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Great and I look forward to listening and working with you, Teabender. As you are new, I might give you some LV tips along the way. For starters, you could go into your Control Panel and set up a signature (like mine below) giving a name you'd like to be called besides your username (totally optional, of course), add a slogan you like, a link to your own website, put CC after your name if you welcome Crits/Comments on your recordings, etc. You can also set up other things, like how you want to be contacted about posts (email, notifications, etc.) Poke around and have a look.

You can access the Control Panel by clicking the down arrow to the right of your username, upper right corner of any forum page.

I'm listening to Chapter 1 this morning. It sounds great so far!
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

I'm still learning the ins and outs, so that sounds great! Thank you, I've just added a signature. I'm hoping to have the next chapter ready in a day or two.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 1 is PL OK!

No need to rush, Victoria. I'll be here, and able to access the MW once Leni puts me in as DPL, then I'll change the status of each chapter as we go along.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

msfry wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:57 pm If this project still needs a DPL, I would like to offer my services. I read this book in High School over 60 years ago, and recall it having a profound effect on me. I would love to read it again.
Added.
Leni
=================
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 2

5:56 with little bunches of fuzzy hair, you say corkscrews (wouldn't mention it except that corkscrews is repeated further along in the sentence).

This is sounding good so far! :thumbs:
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Oops, ha! Thanks for catching that! I've re-uploaded chapter 2, same file (https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_02_keller_128kb.mp3), same duration (12:52).
msfry

Post by msfry »

2 is PL OK. Nice edit! :thumbs:
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 3 is PL OK
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Thank you! I have the next one ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_04_keller_128kb.mp3

Duration: 6:36
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 4 is PL OK.

I did notice that in Chapters 3 and 4, the background noise is quite a bit higher than in Chapters 1 and 2. Thus, while both 3 and 4 pass Checker specs, I recommend you apply a bit of Noise Reduction to each one. In Audacity, I would select about 4 seconds of silence from the end of each file, go Effects/Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile. Then select the entire file, go Effect/Noise Reduction/set settings to 12, 6, 3, Reduce/OK. This should cut down the hissy background noise by about half, without affecting your voice quality, which is very good. NOTE: Different people use different settings, so feel free to experiment, and beware that if you do additional passes it might begin to affect the quality.

You want some background noise, but not too much. I apply NR to all my files, being as I record where the interstate highway noise a mile away is constant 24/7. You'd think it would be quieter at night, but actually the sound seems to carry better at night, and the 18 wheelers hum by all night.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

That's good to know, thank you! I cranked up the volume and heard what you're describing. I gave chapters 3 and 4 the noise reduction treatment and re-uploaded them.