COMPLETE [SOLO] The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

15 is PL OK! 3 weeks at the World's Fair, and they let a young girl touch the exhibits. Was she already famous? Looking forward to the next chapter.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

I wondered just how dangerous the machinery was and whether any of it could take fingers off if you're not careful. But if Helen herself wasn't famous yet, it probably it didn't hurt that she was friends with Dr. Alexander Graham Bell.

The next chapter is pretty short, but I need to practice pronouncing the title of a French play so I hopefully won't butcher it too badly :shock:
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Chapter 16 is ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_16_keller_128kb.mp3

Duration: 3:54

I'm blown away that Helen learned German, French, and Latin. It can't imagine what a struggle that must have been.
msfry

Post by msfry »

16 is PL OK.
This line describes me perfectly: "tasking slender powers for great ends".
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

It's a great line, and one I can relate to as well!

Chapter 17 ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_17_keller_128kb.mp3

Duration: 5:14
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Chapter 19 is ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_19_keller_128kb.mp3

Duration: 10:10

Apologies for skipping chapter 18. I need to redo significant portions, particularly the parts where I butchered the names of all the German works. :cry:
msfry

Post by msfry »

17 and 19 are PL OK. What incredible obstacles she had to overcome.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

msfry

Post by msfry »

18 is PL OK. Nicely read.

Sorry this is taking me so long. Hurricane Ida left Baton Rouge in a torn up condition, big swaths of it without power. I have power now, but the internet is very sluggish, and my attention is on getting my yard back in shape before the grass gets to tall to mow.

Only 4 chapters to go, and I will try to claim the cover if I can get my other covers done in time.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry! No hurry at all, I'm glad you're okay and have power again.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Chapter 20 is ready: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/storyofmylife_20_keller_128kb.mp3

Duration: 16:14

College in 1900 must have been brutal. :shock:
msfry

Post by msfry »

20 is PL OK. A very pleasant listen.
I agree with Helen's complaints about cramming all kinds of facts into ones head, and missing the entire point. I personally did best in college during Summer School, when campus had far less distractions, I took only 2 classes, 1.5 hours long, 5 days a week, and had just one final exam each. Always made A's when I could focus on a single subject.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

I agree, it's much easier when you can focus on fewer subjects at a time. It's part of why I did a part-time schedule, even though it meant slower progress.
msfry

Post by msfry »

We watched the 1962 version of The Miracle Worker last night, with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke, who both also starred in the Broadway play. That was one helluva movie! Easy to see why Anne and Patty won Best Actress awards at the Oscars for that one.

Next, I'm going to watch the newer movie for comparison.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi, Victoria. I just ran across this posting on Facebook about Anne Sullivan. Don't know if it's true, but it's worth a read.

"One of the better stories I have read in a long time.
Dr. Frank Mayfield was touring Tewksbury Institute when, on his way out, he accidentally collided with an elderly floor maid. To cover the awkward moment Dr. May field started asking questions.
"How long have you worked here?"
"I've worked here almost since the place opened," the maid replied.
"What can you tell me about the history of this place?" he asked.
"I don't think I can tell you anything, but I could show you something."
With that, she took his hand and led him down to the basement under the oldest section of the building. She pointed to one of what looked like small prison cells, their iron bars rusted with age, and said, "That's the cage where they used to keep Annie Sullivan."
"Who's Annie?" the doctor asked.
Annie was a young girl who was brought in here because she was incorrigible—nobody could do anything with her. She'd bite and scream and throw her food at people. The doctors and nurses couldn't even examine her or anything. I'd see them trying with her spitting and scratching at them.
"I was only a few years younger than her myself and I used to think, 'I sure would hate to be locked up in a cage like that.' I wanted to help her, but I didn't have any idea what I could do. I mean, if the doctors and nurses couldn't help her, what could someone like me do?
"I didn't know what else to do, so I just baked her some brownies one night after work. The next day I brought them in. I walked carefully to her cage and said, 'Annie, I baked these brownies just for you. I'll put them right here on the floor and you can come and get them if you want.'
"Then I got out of there just as fast as I could because I was afraid she might throw them at me. But she didn't. She actually took the brownies and ate them. After that, she was just a little bit nicer to me when I was around. And sometimes I'd talk to her. Once, I even got her laughing.
One of the nurses noticed this and she told the doctor. They asked me if I'd help them with Annie. I said I would if I could. So that's how it came about that. Every time they wanted to see Annie or examine her, I went into the cage first and explained and calmed her down and held her hand.
This is how they discovered that Annie was almost blind."
After they'd been working with her for about a year—and it was tough sledding with Annie—the Perkins institute for the Blind opened its doors. They were able to help her and she went on to study and she became a teacher herself.
Annie came back to the Tewksbury Institute to visit, and to see what she could do to help out. At first, the Director didn't say anything and then he thought about a letter he'd just received. A man had written to him about his daughter. She was absolutely unruly—almost like an animal. She was blind and deaf as well as 'deranged.'
He was at his wit's end, but he didn't want to put her in an asylum. So he wrote the Institute to ask if they knew of anyone who would come to his house and work with his daughter.
And that is how Annie Sullivan became the lifelong companion of Helen Keller.
When Helen Keller received the Nobel Prize, she was asked who had the greatest impact on her life and she said, "Annie Sullivan."
But Annie said, "No Helen. The woman who had the greatest influence on both our lives was a floor maid at the Tewksbury Institute."