COMPLETE Worker Classification under NLRA, FLSA, ABC Test - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jhturner wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 11:20 am Can't have that! I've renamed the first file without a capital letter and reposted it, and have posted the second section as well (no caps).

Thanks much for listening,

Joanne
Decades ago---quite literally---I took a course in college called Labor Law. One of the most interesting I experienced.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 1 PL OK!
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Thanks! I've posted sections 2 and 3. Let me know if you think they should be combined--they are both quite short and could be combined, as both relate to the NLRA. Same goes for the next 2 sections.

Labor law can be fascinating, if taught correctly. If not, it's pretty darn dull. I have a soft spot for it: my father (a high school math teacher who served on the teachers' bargaining committee) wrote the first collective bargaining agreement for teachers in our county back in the 1960s.

Thanks for listening.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sections 2 and 3 PL OK!

I think these two should remain separate sections.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Ok, I agree. I'd love to know what you found interesting about your labor law course!

Thanks for listening,

Joanne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jhturner wrote: May 16th, 2021, 9:12 am Ok, I agree. I'd love to know what you found interesting about your labor law course!

Thanks for listening,

Joanne
We talked mostly about the struggle for collective bargaining. At least, that's what I remember best. Of course, there is tons more involved, but the NLRA was a focal point. We began, I suppose, with trusts and Constitutional issues and then headed for reform and the recognition of rights. Public vs. private was discussed, too. That last point is especially interesting today as the private unions have such little pull nowadays. And you may know about Act 10 here in Wisconsin.

Myself, I'm personally detached from the issues as I am retired. In my working life, I labored---happily enough---in private schools. Not to start in on politics---they might be discussed privately---but I don't understand why all our billionaires of all stripes, don't invest in American jobs. Making quality products, even if more expensive, but with a winning warranty would work, I think.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

I agree. It's easy to forget just how much we take for granted today that were innovations in union agreements--the 40-hour week, sick leave, paid benefits, etc. My mother (also a teacher) was not too far removed from the day when a married woman (much less a pregnant one) could not teach. All that changed when teachers began to bargain collectively.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Kevin, the balance of the sections are ready for you. I was particularly interested in reading about the new federal rule, and somewhat relieved to read that it is likely to be withdrawn.

Thanks as always for listening,

Joanne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sections 4, 5, 6, and 7 PL OK!

Great job!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ok, off to the catalog we go!
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Can you check section titles for 6 and 7? Unusual to have two that are the same ... without adding part 1/part 2. But these are so short, it doesn't look like you split anything ... so is the title for 7 correct?

Thanks.
MaryAnn
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 21st, 2021, 9:30 am Can you check section titles for 6 and 7? Unusual to have two that are the same ... without adding part 1/part 2. But these are so short, it doesn't look like you split anything ... so is the title for 7 correct?

Thanks.
MaryAnn
Good catch! I'm sorry I didn't notice this. The recordings have the correct titles, but the Magic Window will have to be corrected as follows.

Section 5 is: Independent Contractor Rule
Section 6 is: The “ABC Test”
Section 7 is: The ABC Test and Federal Legislation

Should I make these corrections, or should we wait for Joanne?
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

I'll fix them!

Joanne
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

All fixed! Thanks much, both of you!

Joanne
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/worker-classification-by-jon-shimabukuro/