Complete-SOLO Bannertail by Ernest Thompson Seton-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
misikis719

Post by misikis719 »

Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, by Ernest Thompson Seton (1860 - 1946)
A baby squirrel is adopted by a farm cat after his mother is killed, but when he is half-grown the barn which is his home catches fire. He flees into the woods, where he learns to survive and make a new life. (Summary by Wikipedia)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/bannertail-the-story-of-a-graysquirrel-by-ernest-thompson-seton/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42827

Target completion date: 2022-08-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature; Nature & Animal Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: nature, squirrel, (i can add more later)

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, by Ernest Thompson Seton. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, by Ernest Thompson Seton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, by Ernest Thompson Seton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bannertail_##_seton_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bannertail_01_seton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by misikis719 on January 9th, 2022, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
I will MC this for you. I will send you a private message with information on how to access and set up the magic window.
Cheers!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I'll put you in Going Solo now. If a proof listener doesn't come along, you can advertise for one in the Listeners Forum.
Cheers.,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
misikis719

Post by misikis719 »

Thank you for helping me set this up! I'm a little behind after finishing up the spring semester. I will start recording in June and I will advertise for a PL.

~Misikis :)
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Sounds good. :thumbs:
misikis719

Post by misikis719 »

Whew, I'm getting a later start than I intended. I'm hoping to record a bit each week. Very excited for this squirrel story!

~Misikis :)
TheSheepGal

Post by TheSheepGal »

Still need a DPL? I'm happy to do it for you, Misikis!
Last edited by TheSheepGal on September 21st, 2021, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misikis719

Post by misikis719 »

TheSheepGal wrote: September 15th, 2021, 3:13 am Still need at DPL? I'm happy to do it for you, Misikis!
Oh that would be great!!! There are a few chapters ready to go as you can see in the MW. I will be adding more in the upcoming weeks and months. Thank you!

~Misikis
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

TheSheepGal is added as DPL now. Sorry for the delay!
TheSheepGal

Post by TheSheepGal »

Okay, sure! I'll work on them over the next few days.
TheSheepGal

Post by TheSheepGal »

Great reading!
Chapter 1 is all good except that you forgot to add the full LibriVox blurb. If this isn't required for every chapter of a solo recorded book, I haven't seen anywhere that it states such. But if it is, just add that and I'll mark it PL OK.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

For Solo projects,
"For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:

"Section (or Chapter) # of Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, by Ernest Thompson Seton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."

It should be fine if this is what the disclaimer says.
Thanks,
TheSheepGal

Post by TheSheepGal »

Okay, thanks for clarifying that, Amy!
Sorry to be so incompetent! :lol: :lol:
TheSheepGal

Post by TheSheepGal »

Misikis, I've listened and marked all your recordings so far as PL OK. However, I have a question about consistency. For the first four chapters, you said:
This LibroVox recording is in the public domain. Chapter #: Chapter Title
For chapters 5 & 6 though, you didn't mention the Chapter number, just went straight on in to the Chapter Title. It probably isn't necessary, but I would recommend that you either edit out the first ones' Chapter Numbers or add the Chapter Title to these last two.

It's up to you.
misikis719

Post by misikis719 »

Hello!! It looks like I've lost access to the Magic Window. I'm sorry that I've been too busy to work on this lately. Can someone help me get back on the MW? I'm going to work on this the next few weekends.

Here are my uploads for today:

Ch.5 redo (2:25)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/bannertail_05_seton_128kb.mp3

Ch.6 redo (4:50)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/bannertail_06_seton_128kb.mp3

Ch.8 (4:51)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/bannertail_08_seton_128kb.mp3

Ch.12 (4:21)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/bannertail_12_seton_128kb.mp3