SOLO White Cockades, by Edward Prime-Stevenson -philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Chapter 1 - PL ok, including intro.

I had to smile when you suddenly said One, two, one, two. I thought you were testing your microphone! But I guess when the author wrote that, he didn't even know that microphones would exist some day :D
Elin

Post by Elin »

Hee. And for your amusement, here are the bits of dubious history/geography in just the first chapter...

- Neith, no such place as far as I can tell (but I guess inventing places is okay!)
- The Earl of Arkaig, no such person (this is more baffling, why not just use Lochiel who lived at Loch Arkaig? He is mentioned in a future chapter...)
- George II was German, not Dutch.
- Why would Andrew have a Lowland accent when he lives in the Highlands?
- The book implies that Highlanders were Jacobites and Lowlanders were not.
- But most strange is the whole setup where Andrew's grandfather was an Englishman who bought a large estate near Loch Arkaig! Would never have happened, that was Clan Cameron land...why does the book go to such lengths to make Andrew an Englishman?

And thanks! : )
Elin

Post by Elin »

Section 5 is up.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Section 6 is up! Halfway through. : )
Elin

Post by Elin »

Chapter 7 is up.
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Chapter 2

There's a bit I couldn't manage to parse at 2:37. It sounds like "I slept last night [something] in a [slightly?] [something]. Maybe it's some old-fashioned or dialect words?

Otherwise, PL OK.

Chapter 3

PL OK

Just for interest, I think hoofs is always pronounced "hooves" even when it's spelt "hoofs" (as at 16:19 in Chapter 3). But I'm not 100% sure. Anyway I guess we don't know how it was pronounced back when the "hoofs" spelling was more common :D

Also, how considerate of the soldiers to sing loudly in Chapter 3 to announce their approach :lol:
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Elin wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 5:37 am Hee. And for your amusement, here are the bits of dubious history/geography in just the first chapter...

- Neith, no such place as far as I can tell (but I guess inventing places is okay!)
- The Earl of Arkaig, no such person (this is more baffling, why not just use Lochiel who lived at Loch Arkaig? He is mentioned in a future chapter...)
- George II was German, not Dutch.
- Why would Andrew have a Lowland accent when he lives in the Highlands?
- The book implies that Highlanders were Jacobites and Lowlanders were not.
- But most strange is the whole setup where Andrew's grandfather was an Englishman who bought a large estate near Loch Arkaig! Would never have happened, that was Clan Cameron land...why does the book go to such lengths to make Andrew an Englishman?

And thanks! : )
Yeah, I have to laugh at how many English characters the author is squeezing in, for a book set in Scotland :D

I have not quite worked out where they're supposed to be yet, except that it's south west of Fort Augustus...
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! Re: chapter 2, the sentence is "I slept last night airily, in a stout yew." The issue might be that it's, um, an unexpected combination of words? They sound clear to me, but then, I'm the one who recorded them.

Re: chapter 3, I think it's not so much an issue of whether it's f or v, but that I didn't know the vowel in "hooves" was supposed to be long! I'll re-record that.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Chapter 8 is up.

I have fixed and re-uploaded chapter 3. If you notice other instances of mispronounced "hooves", let me know! Unfortunately I can't search for it in the scanned book.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Chapter 9 is up.
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Elin wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:37 pm Thanks! Re: chapter 2, the sentence is "I slept last night airily, in a stout yew." The issue might be that it's, um, an unexpected combination of words? They sound clear to me, but then, I'm the one who recorded them.
Yes, indeed your reading is perfectly clear. it's just such an unexpected combination of words that I could not work out what I was hearing until I saw it written down in your comment :lol: I guess there is nothing that can be done about it.
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Elin wrote: May 11th, 2021, 10:37 am

I have fixed and re-uploaded chapter 3. If you notice other instances of mispronounced "hooves", let me know! Unfortunately I can't search for it in the scanned book.
Okay, will do!
Elin

Post by Elin »

And Chapters 10-12 are up! : ) The last two are quite short.
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

Chapter 4 PL OK

Also, on the subject of 18th C English words that are modern day French, I noticed disarrange = déranger = disturb/bother :)
Garonne

Post by Garonne »

I'm just making a post to make sure this isn't marked as a "languishing project" after a month of inactivity. I'll be back again tomorrow with some more PL.