COMPLETE SOLO Coptic Homilies in the Dialect of Upper Egypt, by E. A. Wallis Budge-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

Coptic Homilies in the Dialect of Upper Egypt, by E. A. Wallis Budge (1857 - 1934)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/coptic-homilies-by-e-a-wallis-budge/
The present work contains the Coptic versions of ten Greek Homilies on fasting, repentance, the end of the world, the Incarnation, etc., which are attributed to John the Faster, Athanasius of Alexandria, Proclus of Cyzicus, Eusebius and Basil of Caesarea, and Archbishop Theophilus. The texts, written in the dialect of Upper Egypt.

Linguistically the texts are of great importance, and they form a mass of material which is of the highest value to Egyptologists generally. From the theological point of view they are no less interesting, for they illustrate Egyptian Theology in its Christian form, and reveal the opinions which were current among the dwellers in monasteries on the essentials of faith and works. (Summary from the preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/coptichomiliesin00budgrich/page/146/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-09-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Coptic Homilies in the Dialect of Upper Egypt. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Coptic Homilies in the Dialect of Upper Egypt, by E. A. Wallis Budge. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Coptic Homilies in the Dialect of Upper Egypt, by E. A. Wallis Budge. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Coptic Homilies in the Dialect of Upper Egypt, by E. A. Wallis Budge."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: coptichomilies_##_budge_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. coptichomilies_01_budge_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to MC this for you as well. You find the most interesting material!
M.A.
ancientchristian

Thanks Mary Ann.... Yes it does look interesting, and thankful not too long. Most of the book is in Coptic and the Appendix seems to be duplicate material, just a different translation.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there!

I cannot DPL however I can PL a couple of sections for you this weekend if you want...

Lynda
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That would be great Lynda,
I'll give you MW access, without putting you in as DPL, so you can update the MW for any sections you have time to listen to.
MaryAnn
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

MaryAnn -

I thought our recordings had to be under 1 hour? Just seeing the 1st recording at 90 minutes and I am wondering if it needs to be split into 2 recordings...

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there -

You have a WONDERFUL reading voice! Wow!

Here is some feedback on Section 6 - some of this is getting used to your style of reading.

Sometimes you do say the items in the brackets and sometimes you do not - do you just want me to assume when you leave them out that is your decision?

3:32 – missing (I,e, the world) – perhaps you left it out as it was a repeat of the previous sentence? If so that is fine. :)
5:04 – said “glorying” and text says “glorifying”
7:06 – missing (or, covering)
7:50 – missing (of wool)
9:01 – said Abraham, text says Abel
11:36 – missing (or, sanctified)
11:58 – said dominion, text says domain
12:00 – missing (i.e. the Almighty)

I will try do some more tomorrow (which is really today as it is after midnight now I just realized...)

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi!

Me again - here is Section 7 feedback. This time I just went with what you selected with the words before or in the ( )'s.

You can also pass on these - you might have said the words I heard intentionally.

5:41 – heard incomprehensibleness, text says incomprehensibility
5:51 – heard spirits, text says powers

Lynda
ancientchristian

Hi Lynda,

Thank you for the compliment on my mic setup. I made a number of your changes except with regard to the following points.

1) Homily 1: I was undecided about splitting it up. From reading a forum discussion on the matter I figured I would leave it intact. Just because that is the natural... crazy long... length of the sermon. However, I'll leave it up to the MC to decide if it should get split. I'm fine no matter what.

2) Yes the words in square brackets are added by the translator and are not in the original text. I make judgment calls on the fly when I'm reading if I think it makes sense to include them. Normally I just read them of course.

3) The "(or X)" statements are basically in line footnotes where the translator is giving an alternate translation for the word. Again, on the fly, I make a judgment call between which word makes the most sense, and when in doubt I give them both. Generally, I find it doesn't sound good to say them both, i.e. the woman drank the water (or liquid).
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

ancientchristian wrote: April 11th, 2021, 4:55 pm Hi Lynda,

Thank you for the compliment on my mic setup. I made a number of your changes except with regard to the following points.

1) Homily 1: I was undecided about splitting it up. From reading a forum discussion on the matter I figured I would leave it intact. Just because that is the natural... crazy long... length of the sermon. However, I'll leave it up to the MC to decide if it should get split. I'm fine no matter what.

2) Yes the words in square brackets are added by the translator and are not in the original text. I make judgment calls on the fly when I'm reading if I think it makes sense to include them. Normally I just read them of course.

3) The "(or X)" statements are basically in line footnotes where the translator is giving an alternate translation for the word. Again, on the fly, I make a judgment call between which word makes the most sense, and when in doubt I give them both. Generally, I find it doesn't sound good to say them both, i.e. the woman drank the water (or liquid).
Thanks so much for the explanation! My concern for the length of Section 1 is not that I am concerned about PL'ing it - it is more I thought we stayed at under 1 hour for some technical reason that is all.

I get items 2 and 3 - what you read I will go with unless something is really out of sorts then. WAY easier a PL!

I have about a 3-4 hour block of dedicated time tomorrow to PL so I hope to attempt Section 1 then :) It is very interesting to listen to!

Lynda
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MWs are not loading quickly for me tonight, for some reason, so I can't see the time on section 1. But you get about 74 minutes before it needs to be split.

MaryAnn
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: April 11th, 2021, 7:11 pm MWs are not loading quickly for me tonight, for some reason, so I can't see the time on section 1. But you get about 74 minutes before it needs to be split.

MaryAnn
This one is at 1:33:17 so 94 minutes. I just realized that if we split it then all the following sections will need to be renumbered too.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi there!

Section 8 is PL OK! Congratulations!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Wow!

Those are excellent corrections to Sections 6 and 7! I could not even tell where you put them without looking up the times for reference!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Homily 3 is also completed tonight!

Great reading - PL Perfect! Now off to PL my own readings....

Lynda