[COMPLETE] Some Do Not... - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Some Do Not..., by Ford Madox Ford (1873 - 1939)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/some-do-not-by-ford-madox-ford/
Set immediately before and during the Great War, Some Do Not... is a tale of social cruelty among the English upper classes that pits real honour against shameless duplicity and subjects its principal characters to extremes of mental suffering that appear to be analogous to the (never directly described) physical horrors of the actual fighting. The plot revolves around the mores and desires of the intellectually brilliant but impossibly high-minded Christopher Tietjens, his icy wife Sylvia, and Valentine Wannop, a poor but well-educated young woman who loves Christopher, and is in many ways his moral and intellectual equal. In its time, the novel was unusual for its daring, often disorienting, use of flashbacks within scenes, for its scrambling together of interior and spoken dialog, and for the demand it places on the reader to interpret what is "really" taking place on the basis of slender and widely dispersed clues. As Julian Barnes has written "It will be a very rare reader who does not intermittently look up from the page to ask, ‘But did I know that? Have we been told that already or not?’ " Notwithstanding these difficulties, Malcolm Bradbury has described Parade's End, the tetralogy of which Some Do Not... forms the first part, as being, in toto, "the greatest modern war novel from a British writer".

As the text sometimes mentions persons' names out of context, the following list of characters is included to help the listener keep track of who is who:
Christopher Tietjens: intellectually brilliant youngest son of a wealthy landowner.
Sylvia Tietjens, née Sattherthwaite: Christopher Tietjens' wife.
Mrs Satterthwaite: Sylvia Tietjens' mother.
Father Consett: an Irish priest, friend of the Satterthwaites.
Vincent Macmaster: a colleague and friend of Christopher Tietjens.
General Campion: an old friend of Christopher Tietjens' father.
Lady Claudine Sandbach: sister of General Campion. Wife of Paul Sandbach.
Paul Sandbach, Conservative politician, husband of Lady Claudine Sandbach.
Mrs Duchemin: wife of the Rev. Mr. Duchemin, an Anglican clergyman.
Valentine Wannop: daughter of Professor Wannop, deceased (an old friend of Christopher Tietjens' father) and Mrs Wannop.
Gertie Wilson: friend of Valentine Wannop, wanted by police for allegedly criminal suffragette activities.
Mrs Wannop: an accomplished novelist and journalist fallen on hard times.
Lord Port Scatho: manager of one of London's greatest and most respected banks.
Mr Brownlie ("Brownie"): banker and nephew of Lord Port Scatho. Hopes to marry Sylvia Tietjens if/when she divorces Christopher.
Mark Tietjens: Christopher Tietjens oldest but childless brother. Current occupant of Groby, the Tietjens' estate.
Ruggles: A friend of Mark Tietjens who shares his London quarters and deals extensively in gossip.
Glorvina: Nickname of a 'great lady' who is the mother of two of Sylvia Tietjens' closest friends.

(Summary by Peter Dann)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64248

Target completion date: 2021-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: adultery, divorce, Great War, social climbing, shell shock, bluestocking

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Some Do Not.... This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Some Do Not..., by Ford Madox Ford. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Some Do Not..., by Ford Madox Ford. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Some Do Not..., by Ford Madox Ford."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: somedonot_##_ford_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. somedonot_01_ford_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by TheBanjo on May 19th, 2021, 4:23 pm, edited 17 times in total.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 has kindly agreed to act as DPL for this project.

And a big shoutout to alanmapstone for drawing my attention to this novel as a project well worth taking on — an opinion I now share, having read the novel silently over the past few weeks.

I don't expect to be able to start actual recording for another ten days or so, but I should be able to populate the MW with section descriptions before then.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi
Glad to see you are doing this 👍

One comment on your summary, it should be "Valentine Wannop" not Wallop 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

alanmapstone wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 12:54 am Hi
Glad to see you are doing this 👍

One comment on your summary, it should be "Valentine Wannop" not Wallop 😺
Oh what a dumb booboo! Thank you!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed. I updated the summary on the Project Screen to correct the spelling previously noted and the author's name. Enjoy.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

craigdav1 wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 6:50 am Moving to Going Solo forum to keep the Launch Pad tidy.
Thank you for setting this up for me!
Will get down to work now.
To this end, I have uploaded section 01: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_01_ford_128kb.mp3 (48:19)
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

Glad to be able to discover another novel by FMF. I was a bit apprehensive if we were getting into a very dark tale when I read the summary but the first chapter was alright.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:17 am Glad to be able to discover another novel by FMF. I was a bit apprehensive if we were getting into a very dark tale when I read the summary but the first chapter was alright.
Thanks Susanne. I wonder if I have overplayed the darkness. Will think about this more as we proceed. As I recall, I wrote that summary as I was near the end of reading this novel silently to myself for the first time a few weeks ago. Will be interested to see, too, whether your own thoughts on this change as the novel proceeds.

I've just uploaded section 03: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_03_ford_128kb.mp3 (30:19).

There are some references in the text to the concept of "Senior Wrangler" and "Second Wrangler" in this section (which do appear capitalised, in fact, though there's no way to tell that from a reading). I was not familiar with these terms at all, but they do have some significant bearing on Tietjens intelligence, as it's being presented to us. There's a Wiki explanation here that I found helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Wrangler
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: April 14th, 2021, 6:13 am Have uploaded section 02: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_02_ford_128kb.mp3 (49:26)
A preview of the cruelty....

PL of section 2 is fine.
==========
Susanne
Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:36 am
Sunrise2020 wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:17 am Glad to be able to discover another novel by FMF. I was a bit apprehensive if we were getting into a very dark tale when I read the summary but the first chapter was alright.
Thanks Susanne. I wonder if I have overplayed the darkness. Will think about this more as we proceed. As I recall, I wrote that summary as I was near the end of reading this novel silently to myself for the first time a few weeks ago. Will be interested to see, too, whether your own thoughts on this change as the novel proceeds.

I've just uploaded section 03: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_03_ford_128kb.mp3 (30:19).

There are some references in the text to the concept of "Senior Wrangler" and "Second Wrangler" in this section (which do appear capitalised, in fact, though there's no way to tell that from a reading). I was not familiar with these terms at all, but they do have some significant bearing on Tietjens intelligence, as it's being presented to us. There's a Wiki explanation here that I found helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Wrangler
Thank you for the heads up about the term “Wrangler”. I looked up the term before i listened to the sections. Without the explanation I would have been baffled.

PL of section 3 is okay.
==========
Susanne
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I just uploaded section 04: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_04_ford_128kb.mp3 (19:03)

I remember the first time I read this scene to myself I felt rather confused by the relatively large number of characters introduced, the purpose of whose presence wasn't at all clear to me. It becomes clear over time that FMF quite often throws us into the middle of a confusing situation involving many characters, and only later allows us to understand what cross-currents are being played out (quite often by taking us back in time, subsequently, so that we can better understand how the present situation arose). I can imagine some modern readers throwing up their hands (or their devices) and saying "this is all just too confusing". For myself, I've come to accept it as an idiosyncrasy of FMF's art. It does take a bit of getting used to, though.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 »

TheBanjo wrote: April 16th, 2021, 12:37 am I just uploaded section 04: https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/somedonot_04_ford_128kb.mp3 (19:03)

I remember the first time I read this scene to myself I felt rather confused by the relatively large number of characters introduced, the purpose of whose presence wasn't at all clear to me. It becomes clear over time that FMF quite often throws us into the middle of a confusing situation involving many characters, and only later allows us to understand what cross-currents are being played out (quite often by taking us back in time, subsequently, so that we can better understand how the present situation arose). I can imagine some modern readers throwing up their hands (or their devices) and saying "this is all just too confusing". For myself, I've come to accept it as an idiosyncrasy of FMF's art. It does take a bit of getting used to, though.
PL of section 4 is okay.

It's so much easier to go back in a real book when characters get too many. Sometimes I even keep a list of characters. I find it's much harder with an e-book and I haven't found a good solution for an audio book. :-/
==========
Susanne