[COMPLETE][solo][Mystery] Cut by the County by Mary Elizabeth Braddon - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Cut by the County; or, Grace Darnel, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (1835 - 1915)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/cut-by-the-county-by-mary-elizabeth-braddon/
Darnel Park is the typical country park. Full of lovely views, furniture which goes down through generations, and many secrets. Sir Alan Darnel recently married the beautiful Claire, widow of captain Stuart. Nobody knows anything about her. Yet, as his good friend points out, "her eyes look sad". But the family lives, and the secrets remain buried. Everything changes when sir Alan is fatally shot and even the detective from Scotland Yard cannot find a clue. (Summary by Stav Nisser.)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cutbycounty00brad

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Cut by the County. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Cut by the County; or, Grace Darnel, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Cut by the County; or, Grace Darnel, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Cut by the County; or, Grace Darnel, by Mary Elizabeth Braddon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: cutbythecounty_##_braddon_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. cutbythecounty_01_braddon_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread or pm me.
Last edited by miss stav on April 8th, 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Stav

I love a good mystery, so I can MC this

MW coming up soon...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok the MW is up and I changed the intro a bit to include the subtitle of the book as well. I think the chapters are not that long so they all fit inside one section, so we can say "Chapter" in intro.

I let you fill out the MW and we wait another day to attract a DPL.

Have fun !

Sonia
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Sonia, how are you? Glad to see you here. Chapter titles are in the mw. Not their names or wordcounts because the etext from archive.org is not accessible. I guess this would do.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

miss stav wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 2:27 pmHi Sonia, how are you? Glad to see you here. Chapter titles are in the mw. Not their names or wordcounts because the etext from archive.org is not accessible. I guess this would do.
well since the chapters have actual titles, I think it is much better to insert those than just plain chapter. If you cannot do it, I'll do it, no worries. Also at least the page count I would insert, as a courtesy to the volunteers, who can find the start of the chapter better that way and assess how long a section would be. I will populate the MW later on in the day.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, MW is now completely filled in and we can move to readers wanted. Maybe you want to advertise for a DPL ? I already put a tilde in the title, so it will additionally alert prospective DPLers.

Sonia
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow, thanks for that. I usually wait for longer at the lonch pad, and advertise for a dpl after the first chapter or two are up. So I would not advertise right now.
AdriPrev

Post by AdriPrev »

This looks like fun, and from the first couple pages that I skimmed, it's something I can see myself enjoying reading all the way through. Is it reasonable to ask for this as a solo project?
Adrienne "Adri" Prevost (she/her)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

AdriPrev wrote: April 8th, 2021, 5:45 pm This looks like fun, and from the first couple pages that I skimmed, it's something I can see myself enjoying reading all the way through. Is it reasonable to ask for this as a solo project?
Sure, why not? There are no other readers around. And I know you from Children Of The Abbie. You are a relyable and fast reader. so I give my blessing.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent, Adrienne, welcome to the project. And is this your very first solo ? How exciting. We can move this over to Going Solo then and I'l updated the status and the intro disclaimer. As a soloist you can read the abbreviated disclaimer starting with section 2. Only the long one for section 1.

Also, as a soloist, you will be your own BC as well, so I'll give you access to the Magic Window. If you click on BC/Admin underneath the MW it will take you to the workflow and you maybe have to change your password to get access. Please try it and let me know if you manage to get in.

The BC work is not that difficult, as the chapter titles have all been filled in by now. Only copy/paste the links to your recordings in the appropriate slot, put the length in the Notes section and change the status to Ready for PL in the final column. Then leave a note in the thread as always, that a new section is up for PL.

Stav...thank you for being ok with this becoming a solo. I remember I MCed a previous project of yours which also turned into a solo. I agree, these novels lend themselves nicely as solos. :9:

Let's wait a bit longer for a DPL to show up, but I am also not against PLing this myself, as the topic sounds really interesting. So Adrienne: here's to a fruitful cooperation. :birthday:

Sonia
AdriPrev

Post by AdriPrev »

I've accessed the system before (as a DPL), so accessing the MW should be fine. And thank you both for the opportunity - this is exciting!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AdriPrev wrote: April 9th, 2021, 4:23 am I've accessed the system before (as a DPL), so accessing the MW should be fine. And thank you both for the opportunity - this is exciting!
right...I did not think about DPL jobs :lol: well all is well then, you know what all this is about.

On to a great solo then :thumbs:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi again

I just saw by coincidence that you updated the MW with two sections....please always post a short message in the project thread, that way I get notified of any updates. It saves me to check projects all the time in case there is an update.

As you don't have a DPL yet, I will try to PL it myself sometime soon...but I have a few things queued still for listening, it may take a bit of time.

Sonia
AdriPrev

Post by AdriPrev »

Oh, I must have forgotten to do that, thanks for reminding me. I'll post in the thread in the future!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AdriPrev wrote: April 15th, 2021, 6:48 am Oh, I must have forgotten to do that, thanks for reminding me. I'll post in the thread in the future!
thank you :thumbs:

Sonia