(Complete) Terror Out of Space by Leigh Brackett - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

Terror Out of Space, by Leigh Douglass Brackett (1915 - 1978)

Volunteers outside the USA: Leigh Douglass Brackett died in 1978. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/terror-out-of-space-by-leigh-douglass-brackett/

In the wake of unexpected meteor activity, a wave of inexplicable madness sweeps the already strange and ill-charted world of Venus. Racing to locate the source of the disturbance, Lundy and his team from Tri-World Police, Special Branch quickly find that locating the problem isn't half so tough as transporting IT back to headquarters. Out of his depth metaphysically and quickly sinking into the black pit of a Venusian sea, Lundy is about to discover his own profound reserves of strength and pit them against that which lurks behind a veneer of beauty-- the Unknown. (Summary by EVKesserich)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63062

Target completion date: 2021-05-05

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Brackett (Leigh Douglass Brackett)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 5
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1944
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction; Fantastic Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: sword and planet, Vénus, pulp science fiction, outerspace, alien encounters

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Terror Out of Space. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Terror Out of Space, by Leigh Douglass Brackett. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Terror Out of Space, by Leigh Douglass Brackett. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Terror Out of Space, by Leigh Douglass Brackett."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: terroroutofspace_##_brackett_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. terroroutofspace_01_brackett_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by EVKesserich on April 2nd, 2021, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up.

Edit: all set. Do you have a DPL or do you need to advertise for one?
Let me know if you need anything else.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

Lynnet wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:29 am I can set this up.

Thank you so much, Lynette! I don't have a DPL yet. I was going to let this sit for today and post an ad tomorrow if no one picks it up. If you suggest doing so sooner or no anyone looking for a project, just let me know! :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

EVKesserich wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am

Thank you so much, Lynette! I don't have a DPL yet. I was going to let this sit for today and post an ad tomorrow if no one picks it up. If you suggest doing so sooner or no anyone looking for a project, just let me know! :D
It would be a good idea to add a tilde (~) to the subject line so potential DPLs know you are looking 8-)
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

Lynnet wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 9:03 am
EVKesserich wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am

It would be a good idea to add a tilde (~) to the subject line so potential DPLs know you are looking 8-)
Thanks, did not know that!
loon

Post by loon »

Hey, there's a tilde on this project. I would be happy to DPL for you.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:59 pm Hey, there's a tilde on this project. I would be happy to DPL for you.
And I would be thrilled to have you! :D Thank you so much.
Taking the tilde off now. I have the raw recording for part one finished, so hopefully I'll have something ready to PL in the next day or so.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Loon added as DPL.
Moved to Going Solo.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:59 pm Hey, there's a tilde on this project. I would be happy to DPL for you.
Finished with Part I, clocking in at 17:55. Thanks again!!
loon

Post by loon »

Part 1 -

Note: in the introduction you read "Terror out of Space by Leigh Brackett" - the suggested text in the first post for this book has the name Leigh Douglass Brackett. I think your reading is proper; I believe she was always just 'Leigh Brackett' in book and script credits.

At ~1:19 I hear "in the pilot's seat" - the text reads "in the co-pilot's seat".
Unimportant, imho.

At ~16:08 I hear "Smith said something that sounded like She and folded up his chair." - the test reads "Smith said something that sounded like She and folded up in his chair." This one should probably be changed as it sounds confusing.

Note: normally all the sections would end with just "End of part [ ]" and section five would end with "End of part 5. End of Terror Out Of Space, by Liegh Bracket" (and maybe your name).

I'll suggest just making the one change near 16:08. That should do it.

This book starts off with a bang, whee!
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
I'll suggest just making the one change near 16:08. That should do it.

This book starts off with a bang, whee!
I went ahead and made all three changes-- 1:19, 16:08, plus the cut of the redundant title at the end. :) The new time is 17:52.
I agree with you on the name. I collect physical pulp publications of her work when I can find them and I've never seen her credited in any other way.

Nothing like a rollicking space adventure to put a little spring in your step! ;-P

Thanks so much for your attention to detail. Working on part 2 now.
-EVK
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: April 5th, 2021, 3:41 pm
I went ahead and made all three changes-- 1:19, 16:08, plus the cut of the redundant title at the end. :) The new time is 17:52.
I agree with you on the name. I collect physical pulp publications of her work when I can find them and I've never seen her credited in any other way.

Nothing like a rollicking space adventure to put a little spring in your step! ;-P

Thanks so much for your attention to detail. Working on part 2 now.
-EVK
All three fixes are unnoticeable - well done. Terror Out Of Space - part 1 - PL OK.

Aaaah classic SF Venus: steaming stinky swamps and hostile critters... don't expect to find any of those if you manage to book a flight to the real Venus.
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

loon wrote: April 5th, 2021, 4:27 pm
Aaaah classic SF Venus: steaming stinky swamps and hostile critters... don't expect to find any of those if you manage to book a flight to the real Venus.
LOL, all too true. Like so many things, massively over-sold. Sometimes I miss our old future. ;-)

Part 2 ready for PL at 21:30. Hope you have a good weekend!
loon

Post by loon »

EVKesserich wrote: April 16th, 2021, 2:18 pm
Part 2 ready for PL at 21:30. Hope you have a good weekend!
Excellent. I'll take a listen soon.
loon

Post by loon »

Part 2 is PL OK.

Your volume is quite close to the LibriVox minimum: 86.2 dB (range is 86 - 92). Maybe boost the next chapter by a dB?