LORELEI OF THE RED MIST by Leigh Brackett - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Lorelei of the Red Mist, by Leigh Douglass Brackett (1915 - 1978)

This project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/lorelei-of-the-red-mist-by-leigh-douglass-brackett-2/

Volunteers outside the USA: Leigh Douglass Brackett died in 1978. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Published in Planet Stories in 1946, this story is a great mix of Golden Age Sci Fi and Swords & Sorcery. The first half was written by Brackett and when she was pulled away by other commitments the publisher gave it to a new writer, Ray Bradbury, to finish. It is one of his earliest works. It is a sort of prequel to the Stark character developed by Brackett where a weak puny man is transferred into the body of a Conan like superman and then cruses through adventure after adventure, always rescuing damsels who are tough and feisty. The publisher blurb says "He died—and then awakened in a new body. He found himself on a world of bizarre loveliness, a powerful, rich man. He took pleasure in his turn of good luck ... until he discovered that his new body was hated by all on this strange planet, that his soul was owned by Rann, devil-goddess of Falga, who was using him for her own gain."
(Summary by phil c)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63917

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lorelei of the Red Mist. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Lorelei of the Red Mist, by Leigh Douglass Brackett. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Lorelei of the Red Mist, by Leigh Douglass Brackett. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Lorelei of the Red Mist, by Leigh Douglass Brackett."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: loreleioftheredmist_##_brackett_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. loreleioftheredmist_01_brackett_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: philchenever

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

It should be a special honour to be a DPL for Phil, I believe... May I claim? 👶
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

HandmadePSK wrote: April 21st, 2021, 7:27 pm It should be a special honour to be a DPL for Phil, I believe... May I claim? 👶
And I would be honored to have you do so. For this one and the Citadel of Lost Ships which youposted in. Just let me know about that one. The DPL i Had was required to relinquish due to life situation.
EDIT: I am not anything special when it comes to recording!
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Volunteers outside the USA: Leigh Douglass Brackett died in 1978. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Dear Phil, I beg your pardon! Excited by the possibiliy to collaborate with you, I missed this disclaimer. Being Ukrainian copyright law 70+ years, I`m afraid I can`t work with this text.
Excuse my fault and please cancel my DPLing from here. 😔
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

HandmadePSK wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:38 am
Dear Phil, I beg your pardon! Excited by the possibiliy to collaborate with you, I missed this disclaimer. Being Ukrainian copyright law 70+ years, I`m afraid I can`t work with this text.
Excuse my fault and please cancel my DPLing from here. 😔
No problem at all but I certainly understand. Your enthusiasm for helping in LibriVox is inspiring. Thanks for all you have been doing.
loon

Post by loon »

Phil - it looks like you still need a DPL for this one. I'd be happy to, with no concerns about copyright out of the US.

(I'm midway through DPLing a different Leigh Brackett book, why not make it a festival?!)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

P.S. Brackett and Bradbury - hoo woo!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

loon wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 8:19 pm Phil - it looks like you still need a DPL for this one. I'd be happy to, with no concerns about copyright out of the US.

(I'm midway through DPLing a different Leigh Brackett book, why not make it a festival?!)
Yeah, why not? This is an exciting story and as mentioned half written by Brackett and half by Bradbury. Thank you for the offer.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Part 1 is in the MW. The adventure begins!!!!!! :D
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:44 pm Part 1 is in the MW. The adventure begins!!!!!! :D
Phil - the file name is missing "_brackett_128kb" but I know you can fix that. I'm just keeping an eye on some bread almost ready to pop out of the oven. I'll be back to listen in a bit.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

loon wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:57 pm
philchenevert wrote: April 26th, 2021, 12:44 pm Part 1 is in the MW. The adventure begins!!!!!! :D
Phil - the file name is missing "_brackett_128kb" but I know you can fix that. I'm just keeping an eye on some bread almost ready to pop out of the oven. I'll be back to listen in a bit.
Well, that's what I get from moving too fast. Geeeesh! and MMmmmmm. I can just smell that delicious aroma. :D
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: April 26th, 2021, 1:08 pm I can just smell that delicious aroma. :D
It looks like it has about 15 minutes to go. Well, just leap into your canoe and start paddling upstream. I'm only a few states north of you - should be ready by the time you arrive.

And - I'm standing by for interplanetary adventure!
loon

Post by loon »

Part 1 - At ~3:40 I hear a missed edit: "It w---It Was" The rest is fine.
The red mist is above a sea of lava, maybe?
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

loon wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm Part 1 - At ~3:40 I hear a missed edit: "It w---It Was" The rest is fine.
The red mist is above a sea of lava, maybe?
Lava? oh yes, but what else has Ms Brackett put down there? The entire world is very well thought out and beautiful to imagine. This story is the most enjoyable and exciting one for me so far.

Part 1 fixed and uploaded.
Part 2 edited and ready. :thumbs:
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:00 pm The entire world is very well thought out and beautiful to imagine. This story is the most enjoyable and exciting one for me so far.

Part 1 fixed and uploaded.
Part 2 edited and ready. :thumbs:
Part 1 is PL OK. I've adjusted the link in the Magic Window.

Part 2 - two optional suggestions
1) check the pronunciation of "unobtrusively" at about 2:36
2) at around 15:16 perhaps change "cut your throat before Beudag comes in" to "cut your throat before Beudag came in" (make it past tnese??)

I see what you mean about this story! Strange things are going on. And, with the long swords and scantily-clad bodies, I could almost believe we're on Barsoom and not Venus.