[COMPLETE] Mark Twain's Autobiography-Volume I (1924) - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
johng

Post by johng »

Mark Twain's Autobiography: With An Introduction by Albert Bigelow Paine - Volume I, by Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/mark-twains-autobiography-volume-i-by-mark-twain/
While the Mark Twain Project has created and released a three-volume Mark Twain autobiography with extensive annotations, in the 21st century, this two-volume autobiography was published in 1924 and contains many works never before released. It came 14 years after Twain's death and so, "speaking from the grave", he felt he could be "as frank and free and unembarrassed as a love letter". The autobiographical chapters that he published years earlier in the North American Review, were selected more for their acceptability and potential popularity than for their completely true reflection of his inner thoughts. With the publication of Mark Twain's Autobiography in 1924, the world was introduced to a much more frank and less restrained Twain than had heretofore been seen or heard. This partial Autobiography, in two volumes, consisting of about two-fifths of his known material, was compiled by a personal friend and literary executor Albert Bigelow Paine, who at the time had exclusive access to Twain's papers. (Summary by John Greenman and Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015036057274

Target completion date: 2021-07-01

Prooflistening level: Word Perfect
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Mark Twain's Autobiography: With An Introduction by Albert Bigelow Paine - Volume I. Read by John Greenman. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Mark Twain's Autobiography, Volume I. Introduction by Albert Bigelow Paine and Preface by Mark Twain."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Mark Twain's Autobiography - Volume I. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. Read by John Greenman."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Mark Twain's Autobiography: With An Introduction by Albert Bigelow Paine - Volume I"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: twainsautobiographyvolume1_##_twain_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. twainsautobiographyvolume1_01_twain_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by johng on April 2nd, 2021, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!
johng

Post by johng »

I’m really excited to be able to record this two volume book... which just came into the Public Domain!!!
😃👍😷
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

If you're not planning on doing both volumes concurrently, I'd suggest waiting to launch the second volume until later. I know that my MC plate is pretty full, and I'd rather not have a project on it that isn't going to be worked on for at least a couple months.

I can put that thread in On Hold for you, and when you're getting closer to starting it, move it back to the Launch Pad. What do you think?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
johng

Post by johng »

TriciaG wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 10:46 am This is set up.

If you're not planning on doing both volumes concurrently, I'd suggest waiting to launch the second volume until later. I know that my MC plate is pretty full, and I'd rather not have a project on it that isn't going to be worked on for at least a couple months.

I can put that thread in On Hold for you, and when you're getting closer to starting it, move it back to the Launch Pad. What do you think?
That makes SO MUCH sense, Tricia!!!
Thanks so much for putting a hold on Volume II
:-)
And thanks for setting up Volume I
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Going Solo. :)
johng

Post by johng »

section 16 is done (I was working with some friends in Vienna for proper pronunciations so wanted to get it down while it was fresh in my mind.
WOW....what a crazy language-German!!!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Twain is the one who wrote "The Awful German Language" (or something like that), right? :lol:
johng

Post by johng »

TriciaG wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:07 pm Twain is the one who wrote "The Awful German Language" (or something like that), right? :lol:
Right!!
I recorded that several years ago...it's in a collection of essays or short stories!

Amazing!!
:lol:
johng

Post by johng »

Sections 0-2 are done...also section 16
wib66

Post by wib66 »

If you would like me to DPL on this I would be happy to do so.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added you in, Michele. Thanks!
johng

Post by johng »

wib66 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:21 am If you would like me to DPL on this I would be happy to do so.
Thanks Michelle!!!
I hope this will be fun for you!!
Mark Twain never ceases to surprise me!!!
thanks for jumping on board!!!!
BTW...if you need another source to confirm the written text, you can find another printout of this at:
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200551h.html
(but I've been warned that the Australian "gutenberg" might not be as reliable as the ".org" gutenberg!
:)
johng

Post by johng »

03 is done
wib66

Post by wib66 »

johng wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:29 am
wib66 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:21 am If you would like me to DPL on this I would be happy to do so.
Thanks Michelle!!!
I hope this will be fun for you!!
Mark Twain never ceases to surprise me!!!
thanks for jumping on board!!!!
BTW...if you need another source to confirm the written text, you can find another printout of this at:
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200551h.html
(but I've been warned that the Australian "gutenberg" might not be as reliable as the ".org" gutenberg!
:)
That's great thanks looking forward to listening
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Preface is PL OK
Michele