COMPLETE: An American Tragedy, Volume 1 by Theodore Dreiser jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tac107

Post by tac107 »

An American Tragedy, Volume 1 , by Theodore Dreiser (1871 - 1945)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/an-american-tragedy-vol1-by-theodore-dreiser/

Loosely based on a true story, this is the tale of Clyde Griffiths. Book 1 follows Clyde as a teenager, who, after taking a job at a luxurious hotel, is quickly seduced by a lifestyle of alcohol, money, and extravagance. After leaving Kansas City under less-than-desirable circumstances, he struggles to make his own way in the world after losing everything. In upstate New York, Clyde meets his wealthy extended family and is consumed with a desire to move in social circles with the rich and prosperous. His dreams are complicated when he meets Roberta, a beautiful but poor young woman from his job. As their relationship proceeds down a dark path, Clyde has to choose between true love and social status. This is Volume 1 of 2. (Summary by Tatiana Chichilla)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x000242169&view=1up&seq=1

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Romance; Crime & Mystery Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: romance, love triangle, roaring 20s, based on a true story, crime

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An American Tragedy, Volume 1 . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "An American Tragedy, Volume 1 , by Theodore Dreiser. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An American Tragedy, Volume 1 , by Theodore Dreiser. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of An American Tragedy, Volume 1 , by Theodore Dreiser."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: americantragedyvol1_##_dreiser_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. americantragedyvol1_01_dreiser_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by tac107 on June 2nd, 2021, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can MC this for you Tatiana. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
tac107

Post by tac107 »

1 & 2 are posted. The book picks back up at #30.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

3 is up and chapter 4 begins at #38.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
wib66

Post by wib66 »

This looks like a fun book I would like to be DPL if you will have me thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
tac107

Post by tac107 »

wib66 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:08 am This looks like a fun book I would like to be DPL if you will have me thanks
You're welcome to DPL! I've read this book before and I thought it was really good so hopefully you'll enjoy it as well.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi for some reason I am not able to access the text for this book. Any ideas how to do it thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jo
wib66

Post by wib66 »

How very strange I can't access this one either it just allows me to see select pages. I don't usually have a problem accessing the text how bizzare. Not sure what to do any help much appreciated.

Edited to Add: On the hathitrust site it says it is because the copyright is restricted

I am still happy to DPL but can't check against the text for missing lines etc.

Also happy if you would prefer to wait till someone who can access the text can listen for you.

I checked on gutenberg and a lot of his books are there but not this one.

Happy to go with whatever you advise
Many Thanks
Michele
tac107

Post by tac107 »

wib66 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:34 am How very strange I can't access this one either it just allows me to see select pages. I don't usually have a problem accessing the text how bizzare. Not sure what to do any help much appreciated.

Edited to Add: On the hathitrust site it says it is because the copyright is restricted

Also happy if you would prefer to wait till someone who can access the text can listen for you.

Many Thanks
I think it should be fine as long as you are ok with not being able to check the text. I have never really had an issue with lines/words missing in the past and since this is a book I am really familiar with I think I will probably be sure to notice.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
wib66

Post by wib66 »

tac107 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:09 am
wib66 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 1:34 am How very strange I can't access this one either it just allows me to see select pages. I don't usually have a problem accessing the text how bizzare. Not sure what to do any help much appreciated.

Many Thanks
I think it should be fine as long as you are ok with not being able to check the text. I have never really had an issue with lines/words missing in the past and since this is a book I am really familiar with I think I will probably be sure to notice.
That's great I will start PL ing later today. I just have some recording to finish while it is quiet in my house. Many thanks
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Sections 1, 2 and 3 are PL OK great story so far
Michele
tac107

Post by tac107 »

I have another :D the book continues on #47
If she's got the time

Tatiana
wib66

Post by wib66 »

tac107 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:10 pm I have another :D the book continues on #47
Hi thanks for that I have a copy of the text now to follow along with and just wanted to check as in book two there are 38 chapters just wanted to check if this is right.
Michele
tac107

Post by tac107 »

wib66 wrote: April 10th, 2021, 3:32 am
tac107 wrote: April 9th, 2021, 8:10 pm I have another :D the book continues on #47
Hi thanks for that I have a copy of the text now to follow along with and just wanted to check as in book two there are 38 chapters just wanted to check if this is right.
Yep, I will need to add more sections to this one at some point. When I was counting chapters I saw that it ended on chapter 38 without realizing it was BOOK 2 Chapter 38, not 38 in total. I just haven't gotten to asking for the new sections yet.
If she's got the time

Tatiana