COMPLETE: In The Wilderness by Charles Dudley Warner - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

In The Wilderness, by Charles Dudley Warner (1829 - 1900)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/in-the-wilderness-by-charles-dudley-warner/
These eight essays about Charles Dudley Warner’s visit to the Adirondacks cover a broad range of topics, all with more or less of his dry humor. They include spoofs of the popular Adirondack ‘sportsman’ stories being published at the time, a plea for hunting regulations told from the viewpoint of a deer, the biography of a local guide and character, and reflections on humanity’s effect on the wilderness, and vice versa. Much has changed in the Adirondacks since the 1870s, but getting lost in the woods is still pretty much the same now as it seems to have been then. (Summary by Zach Hoyt)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3132

Target completion date: 2021-06-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of In The Wilderness. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "In The Wilderness, by Charles Dudley Warner. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of In The Wilderness, by Charles Dudley Warner. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of In The Wilderness, by Charles Dudley Warner."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: inthewilderness_##_warner_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. inthewilderness_01_warner_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by zachh on May 20th, 2021, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I hope it is okay if I start another solo. My current solo is fully uploaded and waiting for the DPL to have time to listen, so I thought I would get going on this book in the meantime.

I think this book is not yet in the catalog, at least I didn't find it when I looked. If I am wrong and it is already here I'll read something else. I picked June 31 as a target completion date because I haven't ever gotten to do anything on that date up till now, and because I am not sure how fast I will read during the warmer months that are coming. It will depend somewhat on the weather on my days off from work. I will read at least one chapter per month, and probably more.

I read a couple of chapters from this book years ago in The Adirondack Reader, and the part about how much better "eaten by a bear" would look on one's tombstone in German than it would in English has stayed with me and made me wonder if the book was on LibriVox so I could hear the rest of it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If I am wrong and it is already here I'll read something else. I picked June 31 as a target completion date because I haven't ever gotten to do anything on that date up till now
:lol:

Only because of that quip, I must MC this. 8-) Note, though, that I probably will not catalog it on that date. :mrgreen:

I do not see it in the catalog, either, so I think you're free and clear!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much. I have great faith in the super powers of LibriVox MCs, so it's enough for me to know that you could catalog it on June 31 if you wanted to.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Going Solo. :)
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much for all of your help. I had forgotten to put the tilde at the start of the title, and then I couldn't figure out how to get back in and add it, so I appreciate your repairing my omission.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ehhh, don't worry about the tilde. I'll DPL. :lol:
zachh

Post by zachh »

Well, that's very nice of you. Thank you very much.
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL. Should I paste the link to the chapter into this thread, or in a solo is it only supposed to go in the MW? Thank you very much for all of your help.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Just in the MW is fine, although there's no harm in pasting it into a post, either. Your choice.

Do post something (as you did) when you have uploaded a new section, to trigger the notifications on my end - the metaphorical bell jingle that something has happened in the thread. 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PL OK!

If you're interested in suggestions for improving it, I'd mention that the reading is really fast. If I take the recording and do Change Tempo at -5 (slowing it down by 5%), it's better for me. Your mileage may vary. :)
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I am indeed interested in suggestions for improvement, so if you have any others please don't hesitate to let me know, if you have time. I like the Change Tempo effect and will use it on my future recordings as an initial editing step, and I think I'll also use it to spot edit individual sentences that are faster than those around them. I'm still pretty new to Audacity and all of the wonderful things it can do.

Going too fast is my besetting sin, and I am very glad to know there is a way to compensate for it. I have a mild stammer, so the pace at which I read the chapter initially is about as slow as I can go without getting stuck, unless I go all the way down to about half that speed. I've been hoping that reading for LibriVox will help me to be more aware of how to control my voice and speak better, and it's very nice to have digital editing. Without it I would not be able to do this kind of reading at all, since my initial file length is about half again as long as what I end up with after I cut out all of the false starts and stumbles.

I've reduced the speed by 5% as you suggested and have re-uploaded the file and corrected the time. I hope you won't have to PL the whole thing again, I didn't make any other changes than the speed. Thank you very much.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I downloaded it and did a quick check towards the beginning, middle, and end.

By the way, I did snicker a bit at the account. :)
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 2 is in the MW. I did a preemptive speed reduction at the start of editing. Thank you for telling me about Change Tempo, it's something I'll definitely plan to use on all my recordings when I do the noise reduction step.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha! So many snicker-worthy phrases and thoughts. :lol:

PL OK!