[COMPLETE] The Great Commentary of Cornelius à Lapide (St. Matthew's Gospel Chaps I - IV)- kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian »

The Great Commentary of Cornelius à Lapide (St. Matthew's Gospel, Chapters I - IV), by Cornelius à Lapide (1567 - 1637), translated by Thomas Wimberley Mossman (1826 - 1885)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-great-commentary-of-cornelius-a-lapide-st-matthews-gospel-chaps-i-iv-by-cornelius-a-lapide/

Cornelius Cornelii a Lapide was born in Belgium. He became a priest in 1595 and taught philosophy, and Hebrew, while also preaching and administering the Sacraments. In 1616 he was moved to Rome in the same capacity. Towards the end of his life, he devoted himself exclusively to completing and correcting his commentaries, which covered almost every part of the Bible. The commentaries show a mastery of Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Syriac, and Arabic, in addition to a familiarity with the church fathers. His Latin commentaries stretched over 30 volumes and were the standard Catholic texts for understanding any part of scripture, until more modern times. (Summary by ancientchristian)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/02775964.1383.emory.edu/page/n3/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-07-12

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Commentary

Keywords that describe the book: bible, Gospels, Matthew, commentary

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The great commentary of Cornelius à Lapide (St. Matthew's Gospel Chaps I - IV). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The great commentary of Cornelius à Lapide (St. Matthew's Gospel Chaps I - IV), by Cornelius à Lapide, translated by Thomas Wimberley Mossman. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The great commentary of Cornelius à Lapide (St. Matthew's Gospel), by Cornelius à Lapide. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The great commentary of Cornelius à Lapide (St. Matthew's Gospel Chaps I - IV), by Cornelius à Lapide, translated by Thomas Wimberley Mossman."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: greatcommentary_matt1_##_lapide_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. greatcommentary_matt1_01_lapide_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: kikisaulite

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Hi! :)
I will MC this and set all up in a minute.

Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
ancientchristian

Thanks Kristine. Much appreciated.
ancientchristian

Just a note, I'm skipping the references in the text, e.g. (Conf. chap. xx., 3) or (See Life of St. Teresa.) They're somewhat onerous to figure out and I'm guessing they were added to the text by the translator/editor anyway.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Nice to see some chapters up already. :thumbs: Seems reasonable to skip the references.
Moving us to SOLO forum.
ancientchristian

Thank goodness you are OK with skipping the references, this book is quite dense with them and mostly they are in Latin. Anyway, it's interesting material. Hopefully, I can finish it up by the end of the week.... maybe.
ancientchristian

That's a wrap in terms of the initial read. Turns out I misestimated the number of sections. I only needed 20 out of the 30. I've posted an ad for a listener.
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Pl-Notes for Section 1-Preface
The intro begins with the Section name not the Section number
(2:10) the text says "when God is loved above all things", you read "when God is loved by all things"
(4:42) stumbled on the word "figure"
(6:09) added word "four"
(7:29) the text says "hear a few out of many", you read "hear a few out of them"
(7:37) mispronounced word "conflagration"
(10:10)the text says "whilst great and lofty intellects", you read "whilst great and lofty intellectuals"
(12:23) the text says "Elias", you read "Isaiah"
(12:53) the text says "dictate", you read "dedicate"
(16:59) mispronounced word "omnipotence"
(23:32) the text says "sectaries", you read "secretaries"
(26:55) the text says "S. Austin", you read "S. Augustine"

Overall great job! :D
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
SamIAm312

Post by SamIAm312 »

Hi! Can I PL sections 2-10?
ancientchristian

SamIAm312 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:51 pm Hi! Can I PL sections 2-10?
Yes, please do.
ancientchristian

In terms of Section 1, I made all the changes except:

1) The intro begins with the Section name not the Section number (apparently you don't have to say the section number, it's optional. This came up before.)
2) (16:59) mispronounced word "omnipotence" (It matches what Google is telling me... here in Canada.)

Btw, thank you for all the fixes. They really do improve things.
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

ancientchristian wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:34 am That's a wrap in terms of the initial read. Turns out I misestimated the number of sections. I only needed 20 out of the 30. I've posted an ad for a listener.
Deleting the extra sections now.

Kristine :)
Lyly14

Post by Lyly14 »

Hi, Can I PL the next section? Possibly section 3 in case someone above me already selected the section 2 -10? I don't really get the number 10 after section 2, so I'm afraid I'll be PL a section that has been selected already. Thank you!
ancientchristian

Yes please PL as much as you can.
Lyly14

Post by Lyly14 »

Thank you very much!
PL- Notes for Section 3 - On the Versions of the Gospels and on the Title Prefixed to St. Matthew's Gospel
This is my first PL work, so if there is anything that I got wrong, then please do tell!
(0:31) I'm not sure whether I should correct the mispronounced words but here is just an optional correction of the word "medici" the 'c' here doesn't seem to sound like 'k' if I'm not wrong.
(1:22) the original text 'a remarkable monument of antiquity', but I heard 'a remarkable monument to antiquity' instead.
(1:56) the word is 'cum grano' but I heard cum graneo.
(2:35) stumble word "a man"
(3:10) I think you missed the word 'Abba' as I only heard 'Salama' instead of 'Abba Salama'
(4:30) im not sure if you can call it stumble, but I heard a pause and added word 'with THE ...Niobe of old'. In addition, there is also a mispronounced word of 'Niobe'
(7:38) the word 'basar' is read as basorar here.
(8:10) correct me if I'm wrong, but this part I could only have heard it as writing writer instead of 'ready writer'
(8:56) I heard 'diction' instead of 'dictation'
(9:55) 'the title of the Syriac cogospel' instead of the title of the Syriac Gospel.
(12:03) 'weighty author', but I heard it as 'weight author'
(18: 28) stumble word 'Greek text'

There are a few extra words here and there but since they don't change any meaning of the context, I didn't note that down. Above all else, good work to you! And one more thing to add on, I'm not sure if this is appropriate to comment on, but I think you should at least got this part for future improvement. I have no problem with everything else besides the few unsure parts I've listed above, but during the time when I listened to your recording, I found that sometimes you read slowly or just normal according to your standard, and for some other parts you read a bit fast that I couldn't catch up (this happened because I was used to your slow reading until that fast part in the middle that unable me to catch up so suddenly), I'm not sure if this should be noted or not, but please take this as a grain of salt!. Also, those desynchronized parts are only for 1 to 2mn during the recording, it occurred here and there, so it should be fine.