[COMPLETE]Silent Sentinels, by Westinghouse Company-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

RickJay wrote: April 11th, 2021, 3:45 pm I am uploading new versions of sections 00 and 01. They are the same, just re-mastered to get rid of the humming room noise and bring the vocal out better.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_00_westinghouse_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_01_westinghouse_128kb.mp3

Do they need to be re-approved? No content changes
That's a great question. I believe that since they're re-mastered versions of the original files, they don't need a full PL. I will do a quick spot PL just to make sure that nothing funky happened in the upload.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

justjennifer wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:51 am
RickJay wrote: April 11th, 2021, 3:45 pm I am uploading new versions of sections 00 and 01. They are the same, just re-mastered to get rid of the humming room noise and bring the vocal out better.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_00_westinghouse_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_01_westinghouse_128kb.mp3

Do they need to be re-approved? No content changes
That's a great question. I believe that since they're re-mastered versions of the original files, they don't need a full PL. I will do a quick spot PL just to make sure that nothing funky happened in the upload.
These sound good!
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

Just uploaded section 3. A 77 minute monster!
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_03_westinghouse_128kb.mp3 (1:17:10)

Don't ask me why or how, but I skipped right over chapter 2. Will be coming soon.
Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow, that is a long one! In fact, we'll need to split it up. :? We need to keep our sections below 74 minutes at the absolute maximum. I personally try to go no longer than an hour, if I can help it. It shouldn't be hard to make the split. You'll want your intros/outros to say "Chapter 3, part 1" and "Chapter 3, part 2." Then just decide where is the most logical place to split it, and tack an intro/outro where they need to be.

I added a section to the MW to accommodate this split. Can you double check the length of the other chapters in the book to see if there are any others that will likely need to be split? This is best done at the very beginning of the project, or as early as possible, anyway.

Be sure, for subsequent chapters, to use the section number in your file name, rather than the chapter number. I'd still use the chapter number for your intros, if I were you. So, for instance, for Chapter 4, Direct-Current Systems, I would read the intro as "Chapter 4 of Silent Sentinels..." etc, but name it silentsentinels_05_westinghouse_128kb because it is now section 5. Does all that make sense? If not, please ask! Splitting chapters is kind of a necessary evil, but that's why it's best to do it early on!
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

mightyfelix wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 4:13 pm Wow, that is a long one! In fact, we'll need to split it up. :? We need to keep our sections below 74 minutes at the absolute maximum. I personally try to go no longer than an hour, if I can help it. It shouldn't be hard to make the split. You'll want your intros/outros to say "Chapter 3, part 1" and "Chapter 3, part 2." Then just decide where is the most logical place to split it, and tack an intro/outro where they need to be.

I added a section to the MW to accommodate this split. Can you double check the length of the other chapters in the book to see if there are any others that will likely need to be split? This is best done at the very beginning of the project, or as early as possible, anyway.

Be sure, for subsequent chapters, to use the section number in your file name, rather than the chapter number. I'd still use the chapter number for your intros, if I were you. So, for instance, for Chapter 4, Direct-Current Systems, I would read the intro as "Chapter 4 of Silent Sentinels..." etc, but name it silentsentinels_05_westinghouse_128kb because it is now section 5. Does all that make sense? If not, please ask! Splitting chapters is kind of a necessary evil, but that's why it's best to do it early on!
Yep makes sense. I don't remember seeing the length requirement for sections. The reason I ask is, if it is written somewhere, maybe I've missed more requirements I should know about. Just want to get out in front of any other possible hurdles.

I'll get the file split up tomorrow and post the two sections. I am also going to take a look at Chapter 9 (now section 10). It may be close enough to split in two, although at first look I think it will be within the time limits. The rest of the chapters are very short.

Thanks for the information! Sorry for the extra work.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

RickJay wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 4:17 pm
mightyfelix wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 4:13 pm Wow, that is a long one! In fact, we'll need to split it up. :? We need to keep our sections below 74 minutes at the absolute maximum. I personally try to go no longer than an hour, if I can help it. It shouldn't be hard to make the split. You'll want your intros/outros to say "Chapter 3, part 1" and "Chapter 3, part 2." Then just decide where is the most logical place to split it, and tack an intro/outro where they need to be.

Yep makes sense. I don't remember seeing the length requirement for sections. The reason I ask is, if it is written somewhere, maybe I've missed more requirements I should know about. Just want to get out in front of any other possible hurdles.

I'll get the file split up tomorrow and post the two sections. I am also going to take a look at Chapter 9 (now section 10). It may be close enough to split in two, although at first look I think it will be within the time limits. The rest of the chapters are very short.

Thanks for the information! Sorry for the extra work.
No problem! You may be right about that information not being posted anywhere "official," or at least maybe not anywhere very obvious. :hmm: I'll have to take a look. You're actually the second person in maybe the last month or so to miss that in a project that I was MCing, so it does seem like it is a common pitfall.

(And, I'll admit, I BCed a project myself, last year I think it was, that had a very long chapter which needed to be split, and I didn't split it when I set it up. Either I overlooked it entirely, or just underestimated how long it would turn out to be. :roll: So it happens.)
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

So it looks like we will be ok with the rest of the book. The longest chapter remaining is 9, estimated at about 9200 words which will come in right about the hour mark. We could go ahead and split that one as well if you think we should.

One other thing though, chapter 8 is exclusively charts that will not be read, so...we could split chapter 9 into 2 sections, and remove chapter 8. Then we'll be set on the format going forward. Or we could just stick with the split chapter 3. Whatever you think is best.

I based the following times on estimated word counts from counting lines in the chapters, so I'm confident it's a fair estimate for our purposes:

Est time (mins)
Chapter 1 8.69
Chapter 2 14.62
Chapter 3 78.69
Chapter 4 5.19
Chapter 5 7.73
Chapter 6 5.87
Chapter 7 10.27
Chapter 8 0.00
Chapter 9 59.33
Chapter 10 7.34
Total 197.75
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks great! I am fine with splitting chapter 9 or keeping it together, whatever works for you.

I do think it would be a good idea to include a short explanation in the book summary for why chapter 8 is not included in the recording, so we don't get people emailing us about the "error" they found. :mrgreen:
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

RickJay

Post by RickJay »

RickJay

Post by RickJay »

RickJay

Post by RickJay »

Chapter 4 - Section 5 uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silent_sentinels_05_westinghouse_128kb.mp3 (5:14)

Made a small boo-boo on the file name, I stuck an _ in between silent and sentinels. I can fix it if it's an issue.

Thanks
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice work, Rick. Don't forget to also change the status of those sections to Ready for PL.

:thumbs:
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 2 is PL OK! Nice job, Rick.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 3 - PL OK!