[COMPLETE]Silent Sentinels, by Westinghouse Company-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Silent Sentinels - Protective Relays for A-C and D-C Systems, by Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/silent-sentinels-by-westinghouse-co/
Possibly the first book concerning the protective relays and schemes used in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electric power. While the technology has changed over the last century, incredibly much of the fundamental theory remains the same. (Summary by Rick Jay)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=abKgCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&pg=GBS.PP1

Target completion date: 2021-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Technology & Engineering

Keywords that describe the book: relays, electric power, protective relays

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Silent Sentinels. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Silent Sentinels - Protective Relays for A-C and D-C Systems, by Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Silent Sentinels, by Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Silent Sentinels - Protective Relays for A-C and D-C Systems, by Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: silentsentinels_##_westinghouse_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. silentsentinels_01_westinghouse_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, thanks for your patience! I have this all set up for you. Since you said there were some other slight changes from your first template besides the text source, I deleted that one, and we can use this new one.

Now, as soloist, you'll be responsible for updating the MW. I've filled in the first few section titles for you, as an example. (You may have had something else in mind for the section 0 title. I didn't see a title in the text, so I guessed.)

As you complete and upload chapters, you'll enter them with their durations directly into the MW, rather than posting in the thread. It's still important to post something in the thread ("Chapter 1 is ready for PL," for instance) so that your DPL will know that there's a new section ready.

There are instructions on how to edit the MW here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window The first time you log in, you'll need to set up a password, because it's a different system from the forum login. Let me know if you have any trouble.
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

mightyfelix wrote: March 24th, 2021, 7:45 pm Ok, thanks for your patience! I have this all set up for you. Since you said there were some other slight changes from your first template besides the text source, I deleted that one, and we can use this new one.

Now, as soloist, you'll be responsible for updating the MW. I've filled in the first few section titles for you, as an example. (You may have had something else in mind for the section 0 title. I didn't see a title in the text, so I guessed.)

As you complete and upload chapters, you'll enter them with their durations directly into the MW, rather than posting in the thread. It's still important to post something in the thread ("Chapter 1 is ready for PL," for instance) so that your DPL will know that there's a new section ready.

There are instructions on how to edit the MW here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window The first time you log in, you'll need to set up a password, because it's a different system from the forum login. Let me know if you have any trouble.
Thanks for all your help. I got the MW finished (set up), should I be seeing it in the project post somewhere now, or is there something I need to do to add it? Or is it not in the original project post itself for solo projects?

Other than actual book production, are there any other tasks I need to do at the moment? Thanks again for your help!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

RickJay wrote: March 25th, 2021, 11:25 am Thanks for all your help. I got the MW finished (set up), should I be seeing it in the project post somewhere now, or is there something I need to do to add it? Or is it not in the original project post itself for solo projects?
Oh, I'm terribly sorry. No, that's my fault. I should have put it in, but I was multitasking and skipped a step. :oops: It's there now.
Other than actual book production, are there any other tasks I need to do at the moment? Thanks again for your help!
That's it! I'll leave this thread here for another day or so to see if a DPL will come along. If not, then we'll need to advertise for one in Listeners Wanted.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

I would be happy to DPL for you.
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

justjennifer wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:58 am I would be happy to DPL for you.
Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great! Jennifer is in, and I'll send us over to Going Solo.
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice work! Remember that as a soloist, it's your responsibility to put those links and durations in the MW. Double check the link I gave you above if you need a reminder of how to do that.
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

mightyfelix wrote: March 29th, 2021, 5:36 am Nice work! Remember that as a soloist, it's your responsibility to put those links and durations in the MW. Double check the link I gave you above if you need a reminder of how to do that.
I think it is correct now...let me know! Thanks.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Perfect, well done!
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Great start! Sections 0 and 1 are PL OK.

This is a interesting little piece, isn't it?
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

justjennifer wrote: March 29th, 2021, 8:03 am Great start! Sections 0 and 1 are PL OK.

This is a interesting little piece, isn't it?
The principles in the book are still in use today with modern technology. When your power goes out, it is likely because one of these protective relays operated. If it goes out for a second or two and comes back, it is because a recloser closed the breaker back in like they are describing in the book. Of course today it is all done by microprocessors but back then the relays were physical devices.

It's interesting for me because I work with the modern versions of these. Glad you are finding it interesting as well.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

RickJay wrote: March 29th, 2021, 8:31 am The principles in the book are still in use today with modern technology.
This is probably the most fascinating part for me - modern tech is great, and of course I appreciate the continuous advancements, but the fact that at its foundation are the same core principles from a century ago lends a sense of continuity and a feeling of rightness.

Or maybe I'm just waxing poetic on a Monday morning... :lol:

Regardless, it's very well written, and you're bringing it to life quite well. Looking forward to the next installment!
RickJay

Post by RickJay »

I am uploading new versions of sections 00 and 01. They are the same, just re-mastered to get rid of the humming room noise and bring the vocal out better.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_00_westinghouse_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/silentsentinels_01_westinghouse_128kb.mp3

Do they need to be re-approved? No content changes