(COMPLETE) Peter and Wendy by J.M. Barrie - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Peter and Wendy, by J.M. Barrie (1860 - 1937)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/peter-and-wendy-version-2-by-j-m-barrie/

Abandoned March 2022.
"Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up and Peter and Wendy are the stage play and novel (respectively) which tell the well-known story of Peter Pan, a mischievous little boy who spends his never-ending childhood on the island of Neverland, and his adventure with the ordinary girl Wendy Darling and her brothers. The story was written by Scottish playwright and novelist J. M. Barrie (1860–1937). It features many fantastical elements, including children who can fly, a magical fairy, and mermaids. It was first staged at the Duke of York's Theatre on 27 December 1904, then adapted by Barrie into a novel published in 1911, and since adapted numerous times for film and other media, remaining popular with generations of children and adults." (Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26654

Target completion date: 2021-06-26

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Peter and Wendy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Peter and Wendy, by J.M. Barrie. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of Peter and Wendy, by J.M. Barrie. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Peter and Wendy, by J.M. Barrie."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: peterandwendy_##_barrie_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. peterandwendy_01_barrie_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Jack,

I'll MC this for you! The MW is all set!

As a soloist you are your own BC, and are in charge of taking care of the Magic Window. You will need to enter the section titles (I've done the first few to show you how), the files, the running times, and mark the sections as "Ready for PL".

Don't worry, it isn't hard, and you can't break anything! :mrgreen:

Here are the link to the instructions on how to access the MW for the first time, and how to take care of it: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

If you have any questions, let me know!

We'll stay here a bit to see if we can snag a DPL!

Have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

I’ll be your DPL! This is one of my favorite books EVER! :D
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

Thank you both!! I'm so excited about this project.
-Jack
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Great! Bookworm added as DPL, and moving over to Going Solo! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

Monthly Update: Week of March 28th, 2021

1. Titles of chapters have been updated in the magic window

2. Read through of the script/text is finished

3. Currently working on a recording/editing schedule (will start after the Easter Weekend)

Questions:
a. Is there a standard content warning that Librivox uses? There are few things that happen in the story with regard to race, children killing adults, children being cuffed etc. I think there should be a disclaimer about the time period that this was written and the things I previously mentioned.

b. After recording and editing....is there a mastering/encoding process that I will need to see to? Or will it be handed off to someone else when it is all finished?

Thanks!
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

About your questions:
1: I personally don't care; the adults in question are bad and it is fiction and another time, but someone out there might be sensitive, so just go at your discretion.
2: Yes, once you are done, everything will be handed over to the MC, who will compile everything and put it up on the catalogue for the populace.
Hope this answered your question, and can't wait to hear your fantastic recordings! :D
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

Bookworm360 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:25 pm About your questions:
1: I personally don't care; the adults in question are bad and it is fiction and another time, but someone out there might be sensitive, so just go at your discretion.
2: Yes, once you are done, everything will be handed over to the MC, who will compile everything and put it up on the catalogue for the populace.
Hope this answered your question, and can't wait to hear your fantastic recordings! :D
Yes, thank you :) If I do add a content warning, would it be something written to post on the Librivox site for the book's page or would it be something added to the introductory recordings?
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

JackKali wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm
Yes, thank you :) If I do add a content warning, would it be something written to post on the Librivox site for the book's page or would it be something added to the introductory recordings?
If you want to add some kind of warning to the written summary, you may. Personally, I choose not to do so, but others do prefer to take that option. I can try to find an example of this that you can base it off of if you wish. However, readers comments or disclaimers are not allowed in the audio. Only the standard intro and outro and the actual text should be in the recording.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

m8b1 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:40 pm
JackKali wrote: March 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm
If you want to add some kind of warning to the written summary, you may. Personally, I choose not to do so, but others do prefer to take that option. I can try to find an example of this that you can base it off of if you wish. However, readers comments or disclaimers are not allowed in the audio. Only the standard intro and outro and the actual text should be in the recording.
Okay. For now, I will just leave it as it is and will decide later. Thank you :)
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

That's fine ~ you don't need to decide till cataloging time. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

Update: May 2nd

I have the first 3 chapters recorded. Currently working on editing. I am aiming to get them uploaded before the end of this week.

Life has been very busy and I am looking forward to the end of the school year.

Thanks for y'all's patience :) Have a great week.

-Jack
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Thanks for the update! I was getting worried! :D
JackKali

Post by JackKali »

Chapter One is uploaded into the magic window and ready for listening.

At 42 seconds, "I suppose...", there seems to be a slight tremor. I can't tell if it's in the recording or if it's my headphones. Please let me know if you hear it too. I can always go back and record it. Thanks! -Jack

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/peterandwendy_01_barrie_128kbs.mp3
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Nope, sounds PL OK to me! Wonderful job and fantastic British accent, too! :clap:
(BTW, Peter told me to tell you not to worry, they are on very good terms with the Indians and haven’t had problems for a while. :wink: )