[COMPLETE] Closing In: Marines in the Seizure of Iwo Jima, by Joseph H. Alexander - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

Closing In: Marines in the Seizure of Iwo Jima, by Joseph H. Alexander (1938 - 2014)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/closing-in-marines-in-the-seizure-of-iwo-jima-by-joseph-h-alexander/

Volunteers outside the USA: Joseph H. Alexander died in 2014. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Sunday, 4 March 1945, marked the end of the second week of the U.S. invasion of Iwo Jima. By this point the assault elements of the 3d, 4th, and 5th Marine Divisions were exhausted, their combat efficiency reduced to dangerously low levels. The thrilling sight of the American flag being raised by the 28th Marines on Mount Suribachi had occurred 10 days earlier, a lifetime on “Sulphur Island.” The landing forces of the V Amphibious Corps (VAC) had already sustained 13,000 casualties, including 3,000 dead. The “front lines” were a jagged serration across Iwo’s fat northern half, still in the middle of the main Japanese defenses. Ahead the going seemed all uphill against a well-disciplined, rarely visible enemy. But the battle was beginning to take its toll on the Japanese garrison as well. General Tadamichi Kuribayashi knew his 109th Division had inflicted heavy casualties on the attacking Marines, yet his own losses had been comparable. The American capture of the key hills in the main defense sector the day before deprived him of his invaluable artillery observation sites. His brilliant chief of artillery, Colonel Chosaku Kaido, lay dying. ...Kuribayashi moved his own command post from the central highlands to a large cave on the northwest coast. The usual blandishments from Imperial General Headquarters in Tokyo reached him by radio that afternoon, but Kuribayashi was in no mood for heroic rhetoric. “Send me air and naval support and I will hold the island,” he signalled. “Without them I cannot hold.” (Summary by Joseph H. Alexander)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49080

Target completion date: 2021-06-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: F0PgBmny
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_H._Alexander (Joseph H. Alexander)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 2015
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Closing In: Marines in the Seizure of Iwo Jima. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Closing In: Marines in the Seizure of Iwo Jima, by Joseph H. Alexander. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Closing In: Marines in the Seizure of Iwo Jima, by Joseph H. Alexander. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Closing In: Marines in the Seizure of Iwo Jima, by Joseph H. Alexander."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: seizureofiwojima_##_alexander_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. seizureofiwojima_01_alexander_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! We will wait here a day or two, hopefully we can pick up a DPL while we wait. I have also shortened the file name to something much easier to use.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

Thank you!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Did you get a DPL? If you haven't I'd like to sign up!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

ColleenMc wrote: March 19th, 2021, 6:43 am Did you get a DPL? If you haven't I'd like to sign up!

Colleen
The job is yours! Thanks Colleen!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

Awesome! Thank you. I'm finishing up another project this week and will be out next week on vacation. I'll start recording audio for this project the week of 5 April.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Perfect, I'm out of town myself right now so I'll be looking forward to getting on this when I get back!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi!

I've been away for a couple of weeks but back now and will be getting going on this this week.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »