COMPLETE [SOLO] Mrs Dalloway (Version 2) by Virginia Woolf-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: April 6th, 2021, 4:23 am Fab, thanks! You're so quick off the mark I feel like I need to get on with the recordings!
No, please don't even begin to feel that way. This is 100% your project, and you really must do it the way that suits your own inclinations. As for me, if we're still working on this next Christmas time, I really don't mind in the least.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

TheBanjo wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:03 am
Expralitemonk wrote: April 6th, 2021, 4:23 am Fab, thanks! You're so quick off the mark I feel like I need to get on with the recordings!
No, please don't even begin to feel that way. This is 100% your project, and you really must do it the way that suits your own inclinations. As for me, if we're still working on this next Christmas time, I really don't mind in the least.
Honestly it's nice to have someone else as keen as me! I've uploaded 3 more sections today :D
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: April 11th, 2021, 10:35 am
I've uploaded 3 more sections today :D
Sections 7 to 10 are all PL OK - and I really enjoyed listening to them, too.

How many surprising turns this narrative takes. Just when we are getting used to the idea that this is NOT a conventional story about relationships, but is more like a bejewelled chandelier, an effect of glistening fragments, we shift, for some pages at least, into a relatively conventionally told tale of thwarted adolescent love.

I must say I do wince a little to find myself sharing a first name with uninspiring Peter Walsh. As for that pocket knife of his and Clarissa's sewing needle, I am guessing there have been a few theses written about these by now... It really is a stunning novel, and you're doing it full justice.
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

It is a really interesting novel for sure! Glad you're enjoying, even if you're cringing at Peter!

Four more sections uploaded - nearly halfway there!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 9:25 am Four more sections uploaded - nearly halfway there!
Sections 11 to 14 are all PL OK.
What a beautifully nuanced reading. I especially enjoyed hearing for myself the voice like 'an ancient spring' of the 'battered old woman with her hand exposed for coppers', and the actual plaintive note of Rezia's voice. You will have a lot of very appreciative listeners of this reading one day, Hannah!
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Thanks Peter!

It's probably going to go a bit slower for the next few months as I've mostly been doing it on weekends, and with things opening up more in the UK, and a wedding coming up, my weekends are looking a bit busier! My initial aim of July may have been quite ambitious! I will of course make sure to keep the thread updated, and I certainly haven't lost interest or forgotten, just life!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:26 am Thanks Peter!

It's probably going to go a bit slower for the next few months as I've mostly been doing it on weekends, and with things opening up more in the UK, and a wedding coming up, my weekends are looking a bit busier! My initial aim of July may have been quite ambitious! I will of course make sure to keep the thread updated, and I certainly haven't lost interest or forgotten, just life!
You may end up calling the project "The Day That Became A Year", but so what? It will certainly be worth it in the end for lots of listeners - and hopefully for you, too. :D
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Haha, thanks for your understanding!

I have uploaded one more section - I had recorded two, but having listened to the first few lines of it, I've done something terrible and need to rerecord it!
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:44 am I had recorded two, but having listened to the first few lines of it, I've done something terrible and need to rerecord it!
Aghhh! Infuriating, isn't it? I've read for forty minutes with the greatest eloquence (ahem...) before today, only to make some very grizzly discoveries when I got back to look at Audacity (I record in a separate room).
Well, the good news is that Virginia Woolfe's paean of praise for the medical profession is in the very best of health, unlike poor Septimus. PL OK. And you're now officially half way. :D
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Hi there

Apologies for going silent, it's been quite full on for me over the last month. I haven't forgotten about the project and am going to try to do at least one section this weekend!

Thanks
Hannah
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: June 10th, 2021, 8:21 am Hi there

Apologies for going silent, it's been quite full on for me over the last month. I haven't forgotten about the project and am going to try to do at least one section this weekend!

Thanks
Hannah
Not a problem, Hannah. You flagged quite clearly that this would be happening. It's not a race! I'll look forward to hearing some more when you're ready.
Peter
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Hi there

I have uploaded another two sections. I also wanted to let you know that the link originally listed for the text no longer appears to be working but this one: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.93420 appears to be the exact same one (and both are sourced from the same library) so this is what I am now using.

Thanks!
Hannah
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

Expralitemonk wrote: June 17th, 2021, 4:49 am I have uploaded another two sections. I also wanted to let you know that the link originally listed for the text no longer appears to be working but this one: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.93420 appears to be the exact same one (and both are sourced from the same library) so this is what I am now using.
Thanks Hannah. For Standard DPL purposes, I'm not listening to you against the original text - but if I ever do need to check against that for any reason, thanks for the update on that.

Both sections 16 and 17 are beautifully read in a way I'm sure VW would have really appreciated — so it breaks my heart to have to say that there's quite a "popping" problem on both sections 16 and 17, often associated with the production of plosives (for example, 'P' sounds) but also with some other sounds too. Examples are numerous, but for one, in section 16 around 0:39 ("The war?" the patient said. "The European war") there are three pretty audible pops in just those few words.

When I say "pretty audible", this does depend on how I listen. On Jabra elite earbuds, the popping is noticeable, but I could almost live with it. On a pair of mid-priced Audio Technica headphones, it's more than noticeable. On my car audio system loudspeaker, the pops are very noticeable, as they are on the loudspeaker of my iMac.

Your basic audio setup has been really excellent until now, way better than what I hear on many Librivox recordings. Really great quality. And there's nothing the matter with the technical specs of your recording. But it seems like you've made some (maybe quite slight?) change to your setup this time which has resulted in this popping. It may simply be that you're a little closer to the microphone than previously, or, if you've got a pop baffle, that you didn't use it this time.

I DO hate saying this, but I think you're going to have to do both these sections again.

If it's any consolation (and it probably isn't) I had to rerecord a 35 minute section of Nostromo the other night because I unaccountably failed to save my recording. I do have some sense of how annoying this must be!

Sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Peter
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

Hi Peter

Thanks for letting me know, and please don't worry about giving me feedback! I clearly need to check different ways of listening when editing, as I did notice a few pops but nothing that seemed too awful! I think I was trying to sit closer to the mic as I have a tendency to be too quiet, but clearly it was not necessarily the right move! I will re-record!

Thanks
Hannah
Expralitemonk

Post by Expralitemonk »

TheBanjo wrote: June 18th, 2021, 4:06 am there's quite a "popping" problem
I've just rerecorded and uploaded section 16 and the doctor's obsession with ProPortion makes it very difficult to avoid!! But I sat further from the mic and edited down the few that made it through so fingers crossed this works better!!

Will try and have a crack at section 17 in the next few days.

Hannah