COMPLETE The Small House at Allington - mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope (1815 - 1882)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-small-house-at-allington-by-anthony-trollope-2/
The Small House at Allington concerns the widowed Mrs.Dale, her daughters Isabella ("Bell") and Lilian ("Lily"), who live in the "Small House", and their suitors. The bachelor Squire of Allington (Christopher Dale), who lives in the Great House, has allocated the Small House, rent free, to his widowed sister-in-law and her daughters.
This is the fifth of the six Chronicles of Barsetshire. As with all of Trollope's novels, this one also contains many sub-plots and numerous minor characters. Plantagenet Palliiser, of Trollope’s Palliiser series of novels makes his first appearance, as he contemplates a dalliance with Griselda Grantly, the now-married Lady Dumbello, daughter of the Archdeacon introduced earlier in the Chronicles of Barsetshire.
Another key sub-plot involves the goings-on at protagonist John Eames' London boarding house where the landlady's worldly and attractive daughter (Miss. Amelia Roper) attempts to ensnare Eames into a socially downwardly-mobile marriage, and where Eames' fellow boarder and co-worker gets drawn into a love triangle with the wife of an unhappily married theatrical couple. In these London scenes at the clerks' office and the Roper boarding house, we see Dickensian echoes.
As with so many of Trollope's novels, here Trollope explores issues of emotional and generational power struggles, adultery, temptation, jilting lovers, marriage proposal refusals, and the consequences of indecision. Trollope's scene of the bull attack placed mid-way through the novel is a tour-de-force moment not to be missed by any reader interested in the art of the Victorian novel.

Edited from the Wikipedia entry for the novel - spoiler alert – which contains a much more detailed account of the main plot-lines.
(Summary by Wikipedia, edited N K Whitley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4599/pg4599.txt

Target completion date: 2024-04-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Small House at Allington. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: smallhouse_##_trollope_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. smallhouse_01_trollope_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Checking in Nick. I've shortened the file name a bit and will work on your MW (but I'm on a slow connection that drops every now and then ...)

MaryAnn
wib66

Post by wib66 »

If you are looking for a DPL I would be happy to step up for you thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Michele, but ArleneJoyce is working with Nick on this series ...

MaryAnn
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Maryann

Have the requirements for silence at the end of the recording changed? It used to be 10 secs if the recording was longer than 30 mins.

I am very happy with the new requirement if that is just 5 secs
wib66

Post by wib66 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 10th, 2021, 7:28 pm Thanks Michele, but ArleneJoyce is working with Nick on this series ...

MaryAnn
No problem thanks for letting me know :D
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Nick,

Yes, it's now 5 seconds at the end on all files (even those over 30 minutes). But if a reader leaves 10 seconds, we are not asking them to change it, just flagging it for the future.

Have you let Arlene know that the project has launched? I'm going to move this to going solo to keep the launch pad tidy, and I want to make sure she can find you!

MaryAnn
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

No - not yet. I have still got to edit my first chapter!

Thanks for your help

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Maryann

I cannot work out how to get notified whenever there is a new post - will it happen automatically?

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

And we're off! Hopefully you will get notified of this post, Nick.

As I'm posting this, I see 5 checkboxes just below this box I'm typing in. One of them is "Notify me when a reply is posted." It's checked. You could start a post and see if yours is checked. (Going to copy this to a private message just in case the box is not checked for you.)
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

The way the forums are set up, once you post in a thread, you should be automatically subscribed. Or, up at the top of the thread, next to the "post reply" box, there is a wrench. Click that and there is a toggle between subscribe/unsubscribe ... so you can check that you are subscribed.

MaryAnn
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

First Chapter!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_01_trollope_128kb.mp3 24:58.05

Hope all is well with you

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Toggle found! all well

Thanks

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

What a restful chapter! Marked PL OK.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Despite it telling me I was to be notified of new posts, I was not sent one after your latest post! I hope it works better next time!

Here is Chapter 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_02_trollope_128kb.mp3 34:33.5

Blessings

Nick