COMPLETE The Small House at Allington - mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I hope the automatic posts do start working for you.

Chapter 2 is PL OK.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Not working yet!

I will just have to check regularly.

Our clocks have gone forward this night - but we got to bed very early, so it should not feel too bad!

We have been able to go walking on golf courses during lockdown; our local one is lovely. We go early in the morning and have often seen up to seven deer and a family of pheasants, which seem to have made their home among the woods within the grounds. However, today is the last day that we can do it as outdoor sport is to be allowed from tomorrow. The good thing is that we can go sailing on Wednesday.

I hope all remains well for you.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Nick,
Any chance the notices are going to spam?
MaryAnn
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Maryann

No, I check my Spam regularly!

Arlene,

Here is Chapter 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_03_trollope_128kb.mp3 30:31.7

Happy Easter to you all

Blessings

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 3 is PL OK.

We were sorry to hear the news about Prince Philip. I suppose most Britons don't remember a time when he wasn't in public life. That's a aspect of political stability and continuity that we don't have.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Thank you

The radio and television programmes have been given over to tributes. I feel so concerned for the queen.

Could you give a brief response to this post, as I have tried something new to ( I hope) start getting notifications and I would like to test it.

Thanks

Blessings

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Hopefully you have found the solution.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

I hope all remains well with you.

Here is Chapter 4
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_04_trollope_128kb.mp3 30:58.7

We can now visit other people in their gardens - 2 households or up to 6 people - so we went to see our middle son and his wife and daughter - our only granddaughter. It was so nice to see them in person!

We are having 2 family Zooms on Sunday, the day John, our eldest, turns 40! Tghe first one, late afternoon, includes Felicity and the second one in the evening is to do an escape room for all the adults. Fortunately it is not a competitive exercise!
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

NKWhitley wrote: March 9th, 2021, 5:21 am The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope (1815 - 1882)
The Small House at Allington concerns the widowed Mrs.Dale, her daughters Isabella ("Bell") and Lilian ("Lily"), who live in the "Small House", and their suitors. The bachelor Squire of Allington (Christopher Dale), who lives in the Great House, has allocated the Small House, rent free, to his widowed sister-in-law and her daughters.
This is the fifth of the six Chronicles of Barsetshire. As with all of Trollope's novels, this one also contains many sub-plots and numerous minor characters. Plantagenet Palliiser, of Trollope’s Palliiser series of novels makes his first appearance, as he contemplates a dalliance with Griselda Grantly, the now-married Lady Dumbello, daughter of the Archdeacon introduced earlier in the Chronicles of Barsetshire.
Another key sub-plot involves the goings-on at protagonist John Eames' London boarding house where the landlady's worldly and attractive daughter (Miss. Amelia Roper) attempts to ensnare Eames into a socially downwardly-mobile marriage, and where Eames' fellow boarder and co-worker gets drawn into a love triangle with the wife of an unhappily married theatrical couple. In these London scenes at the clerks' office and the Roper boarding house, we see Dickensian echoes.
As with so many of Trollope's novels, here Trollope explores issues of emotional and generational power struggles, adultery, temptation, jilting lovers, marriage proposal refusals, and the consequences of indecision. Trollope's scene of the bull attack placed mid-way through the novel is a tour-de-force moment not to be missed by any reader interested in the art of the Victorian novel.

Edited from the Wikipedia entry for the novel - spoiler alert – which contains a much more detailed account of the main plot-lines.
(Summary by Wikipedia, edited N K Whitley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4599/pg4599.txt

Target completion date: 2024-04-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Small House at Allington. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Small House at Allington, by Anthony Trollope."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: smallhouse_##_trollope_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. smallhouse_01_trollope_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 4 is PL OK.

An escape room over Zoom. That sounds like fun! I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_05_trollope_128kb.mp3 23:04.5

The Escape Room was great fun - though I have to confess that Helen and I spent the time watching in amazement while the 6 young ones did things to work out the clues which we began to understand about 15 minutes after they had moved on!

It was in fact a Murder Mystery, in the New York subway, and there were loads of locked cabinets, locked Metro doors and so on that had to be unlocked by solving puzzzles.. I'm not sure I would dare try one without someone from their generation to exdplain what we were to do!

We had sent each house4hold a couple of bottles of champagne, and Richard and Steve had sent us all gluten and dairy free cakes they had made, and a good time was had by all!

I hope all is well with you and that things are easing up for you

Blessings

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 5 is PL OK.

That locked room experience sounds like so much fun!
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 6

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_06_trollope_128kb.mp3 38:02.3

We were going to go on a cruise round the Scottish Islands in July, to celebrate Helen's 70th birthday; unfortunately the boat (which is normally chartered by the Cruise company) is in Croatia and the owners have decided it is too risky to move it to British waters, so the cruise has been cancelled!

We are hoping that we can at least have a family gathering for a barbecue, at our eldest and his wife's house near Loughborough - the rules would appear to allow it, although who knows what will be announced on Monday! It should have been an easing of all restrictions, but it looks far from that now, with the new variant running amok!

I hope all continues well for you and your family

Blessings

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapter 6 is PL OK.

That is too bad about your cruise! I was hoping things were opening up for you as they are here. Seattle is the most vaccinated city in the U.S., as of today's news, and much is starting up again. We had in-person church for the first time last week. Masks, social distancing, no singing. It felt rather awkward. But with everything planned to open at the end of the month, things should be more normal soon. With everyone vaccinated, my family has restarted birthday gatherings and other celebrations. We had a small family party for my parent's 63rd wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago. It was wonderful to see everyone.

Hope you are able to have your barbecue!
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 7

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/smallhouse_07_trollope_128kb.mp3 37:13

We thought we were going to be back to normal from Monday, but there is a third wave with the Delta variant, so everything has been put back 4 weeks (at least!)

We are having services in the car park outside our church (weather permitting). Last Sunday it was scorching hot and that continued until Thursday, when we got Monsoon-like weather and a dramatic drop in temperature. It is supposed to be dry tomorrow.

I am trying to set up a new laptop as a 70th birthday present for Helen - it is not going too well at present! I wish my eldest were back down here to sort it out for me! Still, I should be able to take it up with us at the beginning of July!

Nick