COMPLETE: The Life of Abraham Lincoln by Ida Tarbell -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I wish! It takes me hours to edit a section, usually. This one just happened to be nearly done already! :lol:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, good. :) - It takes me a good 2-3 hours to edit a 25-30 minute file, so I don't feel so bad anymore, knowing your sections take work, too. :lol: I was thinking, "it must be the years of teaching that yield such smooth recordings."

I forgot to say on section 2 that the elopement story he concocted cracked me up. I'll be hitting section 3 later today.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 3 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 4 is up! I am so glad you found this book - I am really enjoying it.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 4 is PL OK :thumbs:

She does have a very engaging style, doesn't she? Also, I've read several Lincoln biographies, and she's including anecdotes I was not yet familiar with. Very enjoyable.

And yes - Tom Hanks, the actor, is a cousin. I went and looked after the last section. :lol:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

It never occurred to me that Tom Hanks might be related to Nancy Hanks Lincoln!
Chapter 5 is all set!
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 6 is in the MW :D .
Only about a fifth of the way through, and I already have volume 2 tabbed in my Safari. I mean, we can't just leave him at the inauguration!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

We absolutely cannot! 8-)

Section 5 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 6 is PL OK :thumbs:

As I was listening, I was thinking how supremely ironic it is that Army helicopters were named Black Hawks. I wondered if other helicopters, Apaches, Lakotas, etc., were an issue for Native Americans.

It turns out: Nope. Like some football teams (Florida's FSU Seminoles, e.g.), tribes approve of the names, and several of them literally bless new helicopters named for them. This article explained it best: Everyone Relax - The Army's Native American Helicopter Names Are Not Racist, and this article in Native America Today corroborates it: Why Army Helicopters Have Native American Names.

I thought that was interesing.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! Section 7 is in the MW.

The articles were quite interesting - thanks for sharing them. I had not even really thought about this as I was reading the chapter. Had I considered it, I think I would have wondered if Native Americans were insulted by these names, given their early history with the American government. Clearly, it's all about respect, right?
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 7 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you ! Section 8 is in the mw.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 9 is now in the MW. Whew! Do you ever, after a long editing session, just get utterly TIRED of the sound of your own voice? I am ready to join an order of contemplative nuns and take a vow of silence. :wink:
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

LOL! Not quite that strongly, but yes, I do know what you mean. Plus, I hear every single little click, pop, and slushy s and want to edit those out, but many of them are impossible to do. I've been training my mouth to do better S's, but I had a huge "O-ho" moment just last week. While watching TV, I noticed that almost every actor had the same thing going on if you really pay attention - and I've never, ever noticed it before! So I'm not being nearly as hard on myself about those things as I was before.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Sections 8 and 9 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:
~Lynette * -