COMPLETE: The Life of Abraham Lincoln by Ida Tarbell -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

LCaulkins wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:53 pm Sections 8 and 9 are both PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs:

Oh! and the anecdote of the rambunctious dinner made my mind envision the dwarves busting it up in Bilbo's house . . . . :lol:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

I know what you mean about hearing actors and narrators on tv make those sounds I so dread on my recording and thinking maybe they aren't such a big thing after all! But I just can't help myself from fussing over breath sounds, plosives, and ESPECIALLY those super sibilant s sounds that I kind of attribute to the gap in my front teeth! 8-)

BTW, congrats on your first shot! So pleased you were finally able to get it! I got my second on Monday, and I must admit it laid me low for a couple of days (Tues and Wed) with pretty good sized fever and headache. But knowing it was for a good cause, I was actually quite content to sit under a comforter watching tv and graciously allowing Mare to serve me meals in my recliner. And now I feel fine.

And with that, chapter 10 is up - and parts of it are immensely entertaining, I think.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Your S's don't sound bad to me! :)

This first shot hasn't been too bad so far. Today I felt great until getting tired just now, about 3 hours earlier than normal in the day. We'll see what tomorrow is like - that's the timing of when it hit Scott. His second one didn't phase him at all. He had the Moderna shot, though, and the batch they had in for my appointment was Pfizer. It kind of interesting how differently they affect people!

Ha!! Yes! This chapter was hilarious at points. Good for Mary Owens! At first I was a bit miffed with Abe for being superficial about her looks and all, but then it's so funny - his talking of it smarting to be refused by someone you'd thought nobody else would have. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Section 10 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

You are probably better off with the Pfizer shot. From what I have read it's less likely to cause a significant reaction. The second Moderna shot wiped me out for 24 hours and then left me with 'Covid Arm' for the next week. Women tend to have a stronger reaction than men (a general trend with other immunizations as well). It turns out we have a stronger immune response in general. Interesting article on the subject here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7405769/
Jo
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Interesting! I had the Moderna, too. I was a little surprised at the severity of my symptoms. Site soreness was not too bad, though. It is pretty much gone now.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

That *is* interesting, Jo!

Well, I don't have COVID arm anymore already - if you push right on the site, it feels like a weak bruise, but I do have COVID nodes all through my armpit and breast on that side. Extremely swollen and definitely "talking" to me with every movement.

I've heard, actually, that it's pointless to get a non-emergent mammogram before 4 months after the vaccination because of the way it can affect the lymph nodes. Makes imagery diagnostics impossible for cancer purposes.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Whew - close call. I actually downloaded a completely unedited chapter into the MW. That would have been embarrassing :oops: :oops: :oops: ... Should be okay now, though.
Chapter 11 is up.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Just put chapter 12 in the mw :D .

There is a reference in this chapter to his writing a poem about returning to his early home, but she does not include it. Here is a link to what must be that poem:
http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/poetry.htm
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 11 is PL OK :thumbs:

Very interesting, in terms of deliberate or negligent mis-information. And funny about the log in the red shirt. :lol:
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 12 is PL OK :thumbs:

Thanks for the link to the poem. That's a pretty intense madness scene regarding Matthew in the second part.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

It certainly was!

And on we go - section 13 is up. In which we learn that Lincoln liked to GO BOWLING (not the most important thing we learn by any means, but the one I had to share at dinner). Now I can't get a picture out of my mind of Lincoln hanging out at the Boulevard Bowl in Petaluma.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hehe :) And, having just before this seen an adorable YouTube of a kid who fell down royally while throwing his ball . . . only to score a strike . . . That is the image my brain produces of Lincoln bowling. :lol:

Section 13 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Section 14 is all set! :D
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

:) "that this world is at least 14,000 years old"

Section 14 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yeah, well, give or take....