Complete [SOLO] An Earthman On Venus by Farley-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

An Earthman On Venus, by Ralph Milne Farley (1887 - 1963)

Volunteers outside the USA: Ralph Milne Farley died in 1963. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
"An Earthman On Venus" was first published as a serial under the title "The Radio Man" in 1924. It is the first book in a science fiction series imaginatively written in the vein of Edgar Rice Burroughs. The main character is Myles Cabot, an earthman who finds himself accidentally transported to the planet Venus. He is naked and unarmed in a world filled with man-eating plants and giant insects. He soon discovers the planet is ruled by enormous ant-men, who have subjugated the Cupians, a more human-like race of inhabitants, to use as their slaves. Myles is immediately captured and must learn to communicate with the Formians, his six-foot tall ant-like masters. But how can one hope to converse with creatures which seem to be completely deaf and dumb? While Myles is in their grasp, he meets and becomes enthralled with Lilla, a beautiful Cupian maiden who has been kidnaped from her own people and enslaved by the giant monsters. Though more human-like in appearance, she, too, seems totally without the power of hearing or speech. Using all his wits, Cabot must devise a way to escape from his captors in order to help Lilla and the Cupians end their long slavery to their Formian masters. Other books in the series include "The Radio Beasts" (1925) and "The Radio Planet" (1926). (Summary by Daryl Hanson)

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/an-earthman-on-venus-version-2-by-ralph-milne-farley/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52167

Target completion date: 2021-12-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: radio, war on venus, giant ant-men

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An Earthman On Venus. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "An Earthman On Venus, by Ralph Milne Farley. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of An Earthman On Venus, by Ralph Milne Farley. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of An Earthman On Venus, by Ralph Milne Farley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: earthmanonvenus_##_farley_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. earthmanonvenus_01_farley_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you need a DPL for this project, I would volunteer to join you on this journey to Venus.
~ Larry
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to be sure you know, it will be version 2 - some people prefer to add to the catalogue range.

Anne
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

silverquill wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:18 pm If you need a DPL for this project, I would volunteer to join you on this journey to Venus.
Hey silverquill or Larry, whatever the case may be, I would love to have you as DPL. This is my first shot at soloing, so I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Daryl
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

annise wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:31 pm Just to be sure you know, it will be version 2 - some people prefer to add to the catalogue range.

Anne
Hi Annise (or do you prefer Anne?),
Yes, I understand this is a second version. So for me, and for them, I would love to do another rendition. Besides, I want to learn how to be a BC, and this seems like just the project. I think it'll be fun.

Daryl
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Daryl,
I'll MC this for you.
Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I PM'd you information on obtaining a password for the magic window and how to update it.

Over to Going Solo. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

Hey Amy,

I responded to your PM, but I thought I might do the same here. Thank you for coming alongside to MC for me. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask before this is all done. I'll try to do my BC research asap so I don't take up too much of your time. I'm sure this will be a great experience. :)

Daryl the Talespinner
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

Amy,

Here are the first three chapters of An Earthman on Venus
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/earthmanonvenus_01_farley_128kb.mp3
Running time=14:55
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/earthmanonvenus_02_farley_128kb.mp3
Time=21:06
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/earthmanonvenus_03_farley_128kb.mp3
Duration=18:02
Do I now enter these into the MW or is that something you do? I know, I know, I haven't done my homework yet.

Thanks,
Daryl
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Daryl,
You should paste them in your post like you have done here, and put them in the magic window, too. You can enter the duration in the notes section and then mark them as Ready for PL.
The Magic Window looks great.
Thanks!
-Amy
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

Hi Amy,

I copied the links for the first three chapters into the MW. It was easier than I thought. I marked them ready for PL. Do I need to contact him, I think his handle is silverquill, or will he just see that they're ready to proof on his own?

Thanks for your help and encouragement! :D

Daryl
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Daryl,
Silverquill's name is Larry. He should be watching the topic so I'm sure he'll come along soon.
Have a good night!
Amy
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

Thanks, Amy. I'll wait for Larry then.

Daryl
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sorry to get off the ground a bit late.
Chapter 1 is PL OK.

I'll get caught up soon.
~ Larry
Talespinner

Post by Talespinner »

Hey silverquill,

No worries, man. Glad to see you on board. Hope you enjoy the adventure.

Daryl
:)