COMPLETE: Thoughts on South Africa by Olive Schreiner jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rachelmayferriman

Post by rachelmayferriman »

Thoughts on South Africa, by Olive Schreiner (1855 - 1920)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/thoughts-on-south-africa-by-olive-schreiner/

'Thoughts on South Africa' is a collection of Schreiner's observations of colonial South Africa in the early 19th century, mostly regarding Boer-English relations. The book was published posthumously in 1923. Prospective listeners should be aware that it reflects the place, culture and language of the time in which it was written.
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/64520

Target completion date: 2021-11-18

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C); *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: history, south african, free-thinking, racial understanding

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Thoughts on South Africa. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Thoughts on South Africa, by Olive Schreiner. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Thoughts on South Africa, by Olive Schreiner. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Thoughts on South Africa, by Olive Schreiner."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: thoughtsonsouthafrica_##_schreiner_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. thoughtsonsouthafrica_01_schreiner_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Rachel,

I will MC this for you. Be back shortly to add the MW and some more info.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you. :)
Jo
rachelmayferriman

Thank you so much, Jo!
rachelmayferriman

The keywords describing the book should definitely include 'colonial'. Schreiner was certainly a free-thinker but her context was one in which the study of race was considered a science, and she did not have the benefit that we do - of hindsight. I wonder if one should include a note in the overview of the book that use of the 'k-word' in colonial times was not meant in a derogatory or hurtful way, or people might dismiss the book just on the grounds that it uses this word.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You can add a note to the summary if you wish.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Rachel,

I see you have a few sections uploaded. You can advertise for a DPL in Listeners Wanted. Here is a link to the PL wanted template/instructions for posting.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

Meanwhile I see that the length of section 3 is 83:14. Typically we suggest a 74 min limit for individual sections so that they will fit on a CD for those listeners who still burn CDs to listen. Therefore I would recommend splitting that section into two at a convenient spot somewhere in the middle of the recording. Call them part 1 and part 2. An extra line is easily added to the MW (it goes in at the bottom, but you can click and drag it up to the appropriate spot). The rows will automatically be renumbered. If you have questions about any of this or need help, just post here to let me know. :)
Jo
rachelmayferriman

knotyouraveragejo wrote: March 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm Hi Rachel,

I see you have a few sections uploaded. You can advertise for a DPL in Listeners Wanted. Here is a link to the PL wanted template/instructions for posting.

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_Template

Meanwhile I see that the length of section 3 is 83:14. Typically we suggest a 74 min limit for individual sections so that they will fit on a CD for those listeners who still burn CDs to listen. Therefore I would recommend splitting that section into two at a convenient spot somewhere in the middle of the recording. Call them part 1 and part 2. An extra line is easily added to the MW (it goes in at the bottom, but you can click and drag it up to the appropriate spot). The rows will automatically be renumbered. If you have questions about any of this or need help, just post here to let me know. :)
Thanks, Jo! I will do so!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Would love to DPL on this for you if that's ok thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

PL Notes for section 00

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently shorter than this
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Sections 1 to 4 are PL OK thanks
Michele
rachelmayferriman

wib66 wrote: March 30th, 2021, 9:13 am Would love to DPL on this for you if that's ok thanks
Thank you so much!!!
rachelmayferriman

wib66 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:23 pm PL Notes for section 00

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently shorter than this
Noted, thank you.
rachelmayferriman

rachelmayferriman wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:35 am
wib66 wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 12:23 pm PL Notes for section 00

Noted, thank you.
Lengthened the silence at the beginning of the file.

Also recorded the next chapter in two parts:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thoughtsonsouthafrica_05_schreiner_128kb.mp3
Duration: 41:11

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thoughtsonsouthafrica_06_schreiner_128kb.mp3
Duration: 41:10

Thanks again for Proof Listening. Olive Schreiner does say many culturally offensive things and uses colonial terms that today would be totally unacceptable :oops: but she is also ahead of her time and highly perceptive and expressive. It's been very interesting to read this book for the first time, as I go along. I am a South African descended from both British colonists and Boers. I can completely relate to the feelings she describes of someone of European descent who, born in South Africa, visits England and Europe for the first time; andI can also completely relate to that passion that a person of Boer descent feels for the physical land of South Africa.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Great thanks section 00 is now PL OK
Michele