[Complete] Summa Contra Gentiles, First Book (On God), by Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225 - 1274) -m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

Summa Contra Gentiles, First Book (On God), by Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225 - 1274), translated by The Fathers of the English Dominican Province

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/summa-contra-gentiles-first-book-on-god-by-saint-thomas-aquinas/
The Summa Contra Gentiles was composed by Thomas Aquinas between 1259 and 1265, in four books broadly covering teachings on God, on Creation, on Providence, and on tenets specific to Christianity. This Summa is not to be confused with his final Summa, the Summa Theologiae. The latter is specifically "theological" and directed to a Christian audience (hence Summa "Theologica"), whereas the former, as the "Contra Gentiles" indicates, is directed toward "non-Christian" thinkers. Implicitly a defence of the Catholic Christian faith, the first three books constitute a sort of rational apology of Christian thought, where philosophical arguments are deployed to defend Christian beliefs and usually only evoke Scripture in a latter instance to show its concordance with these largely-rational conclusions; the fourth book, however, is theological in character given that its content deals primarily with topics derived from Christian revelation. Although Thomas Aquinas certainly aims to discredit pagan, Jewish, Muslim or Christian-"heretical" positions incompatible with the Catholic Christian religion in this work, at the same time he incorporates whatever is salvageable from their thought, thus often quoting in his favor the very authors he discredits on other positions: therefore the "Contra Gentiles" of this Summa is not to be understood as an outright rejection of non-Christian thought, but rather as a sort of "rational purification" unto its Catholic assimilation, in disposing open minds to revealed Christian truths. (Summary by M.S.C. Lambert, LC)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/summacontragenti01thomuoft/page/n7/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-05-23

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Summa Contra Gentiles, First Book (On God) . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Summa Contra Gentiles, First Book (On God), by Saint Thomas Aquinas, translated by The Fathers of the English Dominican Province. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Summa Contra Gentiles, First Book (On God) , by Saint Thomas Aquinas, translated by The Fathers of the English Dominican Province. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Summa Contra Gentiles, First Book (On God), by Saint Thomas Aquinas, translated by The Fathers of the English Dominican Province."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: SCG1_###_aquinas_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. SCG1_001_aquinas_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: m8b1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by mscllc on May 17th, 2021, 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

This one is set up - moving it to Going Solo! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

Thank you, Maria! :D

Hopefully you will see some activity here soon, but after a delay of a few days: "soon", because I have already recorded Chapters 1-82 of the 102 chapters; "after a delay of a few days", because once I finish recording Chapters 82-102 (likely tonight), I will study how to best break down the 10-12 hours of recording into sections and do the material preparation of what will follow in the editing process.

Thus I will need to formulate "titles" for those sections as a synthesis of the numerous original chapter titles put together; or if I reverse this decision to use 102 sections to correspond to the 102 chapters -- then I will need to prepare the 102 chapter titles to go with them! :shock: (actually, I have already done most of that work, maybe it won't take too long :thumbs:)

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

Maria, I was just taking a look at this project setup and noticed the suggested "summacontra1_##_aquinas_128kb.mp3" file name model.

Could "summacontra" (which is an incomplete phrase in Latin, not identifiable with anything) please be replaced with either "contragentiles" or the briefer "scg"? (which are the two ways this work is referred to in the literature in abbreviated form)

Likewise, ## will become ### in the event I opt for individual chapters, since these exceed one hundred (102).

mscllc
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Yes, that is fine ~ whatever you want it to be. Also, you don't have to keep the number - just make sure it has some differentiation from volume 2, so that the files don't get mixed up.

You can edit the first post yourself by clicking on the little pencil icon in the top right hand corner. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

For anyone following this project, my personal goal is to finish it by Pentecost (May 23, 2021): time will tell.

In fact, I have already recorded almost the entirety of the First Book in two long sessions on February 7 & 9: it is therefore primarily a question of editing and exporting it.

Nonetheless, I am inclined to edit it in its entirety prior to breaking it down into segments for exportation, so that I may do so with the best combination of intelligence and practicality (better recognizing the internal relationship between the chapters in their sequence, and the knowing duration of each).

To give an idea of where I am at in this process, I will provide occasional updates: for example, as of posting this message, I have edited the translator's foreword & chapters 1-13 of the First Book (out of the 102 chapters), that is, the first 80 minutes worth of the approximately 8 hours in total.

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

An update:

I have finally decided to export this project chapter-by-chapter, even if these are brief (usually between 4-7 minutes each), so any earnest listeners will hear the repetition of the Librivox tag at that rate.

Nonetheless, this choice enables labelling each section with its proper chapter title (valuable for specific topical searches/study interests), and also to have the LibriVox-assigned section number coincide with the real chapter number (avoiding confusion if opening the files from Windows explorer seeing the filename but not necessarily seeing its specific title).

In brief, my ultimate criterion has been: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (Cf. Luke 6:31 & Matthew 7:12). Sorry, then, to any listener unlike me!

So the progress on this project will now be seen directly in the "Magic Window" at the top (now having incrementing the project to 102 sections, with the individual chapter titles added).

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

Dear Maria: here, at last, I begin to export what I have edited of my recording thus far.

I. IN WHAT CONSISTS THE OFFICE OF A WISE MAN (preceded by Translator's Preface)
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_001_aquinas_128kb.mp3
7:52

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

II. THE AUTHOR'S INTENTION IN THIS WORK
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_002_aquinas_128kb.mp3
3:56

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

III. IN WHAT WAY IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE KNOWN THE DIVINE TRUTH
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_003_aquinas_128kb.mp3
6:54

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

IV. THAT THE TRUTH ABOUT DIVINE THINGS WHICH IS ATTAINABLE BY REASON IS FITTINGLY PROPOSED TO MAN AS AN OBJECT OF BELIEF
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_004_aquinas_128kb.mp3
5:31

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

V. THAT THOSE THINGS WHICH CANNOT BE INVESTIGATED REASON ARE FITTINGLY PROPOSED TO MAN AS AN OBJECT OF FAITH
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_005_aquinas_128kb.mp3
5:09

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

VI. THAT IT IS NOT A MARK OF LEVITY TO ASSENT TO THE THINGS THAT ARE OF FAITH, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE ABOVE REASON
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_006_aquinas_128kb.mp3
5:39

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

VII. THAT THE TRUTH OF REASON IS NOT IN OPPOSITION TO THE TRUTH OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_007_aquinas_128kb.mp3
3:55

mscllc
mscllc

Post by mscllc »

VIII. IN WHAT RELATION HUMAN REASON STANDS TO THE TRUTH OF FAITH
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/SCG1_008_aquinas_128kb.mp3
2:42

mscllc