Complete--SOLO Harlem Shadows by Claude McKay-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Alg1001 and Lomond
Please be advised that I have completed 31 poems and the introduction and word from the author as of today. Please let me know if there are any listening corrections that I need to revise. 😊

Adraya2
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

For some reason, I have not been getting any notifications for this thread. Thanks for the heads up, Amy. I will get caught up post haste.

I am finding this a very interesting book. 50+ years ago, I toured Jamaica on my bicycle and have always liked that culture.

Here are some notes on the first five sections:

The reading on all of them is very good...good timing, good diction, good emphasis on the right words.

Section 1:

The reading part is just fine but the silence at the end of the recording is about three seconds too long.

Section 2: PL OK

Section 3: PL OK

Section 4:

TIME: 00:42 TEXT: "And riotous rakes; magnificently flings" I generally don't comment on pronunciations but, in this case... The word "riotous" sounds more like "righteous". A riotous rake is a bit different than a righteous rake. :-)

Section 5: PL OK

In the Magic Window, Sections 4 and 5 are reversed in order from the book.

Looking forward to reading more as soon as I can.

Lomond
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Lomond,
I made the following corrections as stated in your PL Notes:
Section 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/harlemshadows_01_mckay_128kb.mp3 Duration 4.37

Section 5: Riotous was changed from righteous

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/harlemshadows_05_mckay_128kb.mp3

Sections 4 and 5 were changed as well as the beginning and ending of the 2 sections

Adraya2
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sections 6-10:

Section 6: PL OK

Section 7: PL OK

Section 8:

TIME: 00.39 TEXT: "The gold fruits ebon-speckled to remove," Reading has "sparkled" instead of "speckled".

Section 9: PL OK

Section 10: PL OK

Section 10 sure has a message about prejudice and bias. :hmm:

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sections 11-20 have been deemed to be PL OK as noted in the MW.

You are doing a good job of reading these. They share so many different emotions.

Lomond
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Lomond
I made the correction on Section 8.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/harlemshadows_08_mckay_128kb.mp3 Duration 1.29

Adraya2
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sorry about the delay in getting to these. :( :(

Sections 21-30:

A couple of odd occurrences:

Chapter 22:

TIME: 01:11 TEXT: "The dawn departs, the morning is begun" Reading has "day" instead of "dawn".

Chapter 28:

TIME: 00:50 TEXT: "Of village dances, dear delicious times" Reading has "tunes" instead of "times"

It seems the text download from the Archive site differs from PDF download. In both these cases, the PDF version is the correct one. So, in both cases, how you read it is correct. All ten chapters are PL OK.

"Enslaved" really hit home with me as, in too many cases, the situation hasn't changed all that much. How do you handle your emotions when you read these?

More poems PLed soon.

Lomond
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

HI Lomond
Thanks for the heads up about the two poems. I will make the corrections and send them. In terms of reading the poems and my emotions, I tend to think about what was going on during Mckay's time. I try to emphasize those words that I feel tell the story. Some of the poems are upsetting however it took a lot on Mckay's part to write about them. Some of them mirror what is going on today. Somethings still have not changed.
Adraya2
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sorry for not making myself clear. No corrections are needed. From now on, I will check both the text download and PDF download if I notice any difference in what I hear being read.

Lomond
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Alg1001 and Lomond
Please advise that I read 60 of the 75 poems associated with Claude McKay's Harlem Shadows. This being said I will not be able to make my target completion date of April 12th. I should be able to complete the poems by April 30th. Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to change the target completion date?
Thanks for your support,
Adraya2
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adraya2,
That date is entirely up to you so you don't have to complete it by that day. Most people don't even enter a target completion date. I removed yours, but it can be updated if you would like to specify one. You can take as long as you need to complete your project. You are making amazing progress!
Thanks!
-Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

I have once again escaped the clutches of "normal" life and can do some PLing. :-)

Chapters 31-46 were all read well and all will be marked PL OK Chapter 41 which has one item needing attention.

Chapter 41:

TIME: 00:33 TEXT: "They scare the singing birds of earth away" Reading sounds like "scarce" instead of "scare".

"The Lynching" was sobering to listen to. Sadness.

Lomond
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Lomond,
I am glad that you have some time to do PL work! I made the correction to Section 41- Bird of prey!

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/harlemshadows_41_mckay_128kb.mp3

Adraya2
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Amy and Lomond
Please be advised that I have finished reading Harlem Shadows. Amy I would like to change my summary of Harlem Shadows and Claude McKay. How do I go about doing that? Also I added to many cells to my reading list. I tried to delete the extra cells (3) but not successful. Can you let me know how to go about this.

Lomond I would love to hear your comments about poems 47-75.
Thanks
Adraya2
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adraya2,
If you post your revised summary I will update it for the project. I can delete the extra sections.
It is wonderful that you have finished this so soon.
Have a good night!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood