[COMPLETE] THE GHOST KINGS By H. Rider Haggard - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

The Ghost Kings, by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-ghost-kings-by-h-rider-haggard/
Rachel Dove, a British missionary's daughter who has been trekked almost all her young life around the wilds of Africa while her father preaches the Good Word to the natives and her mother suffers silently. Her life is turned around when fellow teenager Richard Darrien rescues her from a flash flood; their common initials alone may clue the reader in that these two are another pair of Haggard's predestined lovers. Some years later however, Rachel not having seen Richard during all that intervening time, runs afoul of one of the author's patented lustful villains, Ishmael, a renegade Englishman who plots with the Zulu king to have Rachel for his own. This task is made complicated for the rogue when the Zulus come to view Rachel as their Inkosazana y Zoola or Great Lady of the Heavens; the embodiment and incarnation of their goddess. Rachel, accompanied by Noie, her faithful half Zulu attendant discovers a lost civilisations, the Ghost Kings: a dwarf-like tribe of tree worshippers who are able to peer into the future with their bowls of dew. Similarly, Ishmael who practically goes insane with lust over the beautiful Rachel. Noie is the exotic woman who dares much for love and sacrifice more. Rachel's mother and to a lesser degree, Rachel herself are endowed throughout the tale with the gift of second sight, a foreseeing ability that aids her on several crucial occasions. And while the Zulu umtakatis (wizards) do not play a role here. The magic of the Ghost Kings is shown to be very real and not a little eerie. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8184

Target completion date: --

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Ghost Kings. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Ghost Kings, by H. Rider Haggard. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Ghost Kings, by H. Rider Haggard. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Ghost Kings, by H. Rider Haggard."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ghostkings_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ghostkings_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/uploader

MC to select: 16274

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

I hope this is right. I didn't put [solo] in the thread title. Trying to follow instructions in "May I record a whole book on my own?" and "Tips for Using the New Project Template Generator" but they are not too clear to me and seem to differ.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is right enough. :) We can tell from the template you used that it's supposed to be a solo.

I'll MC this. I'll be back in a bit with the Magic Window and further instructions.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

Use your personalized uploader login for all uploads rather than the generic one. It saves some logging out then back in, whenever you want to get into the Magic Window. 8-)

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I see in a recent post of yours that you were able to log in using your personal login. And I see you filled in the chapters in the MW. :thumbs: (And it's perfectly OK to use that login for other projects. It causes absolutely no issues. I never log in with the generic login, even when sending files to others' group projects.) ;)

Moving this to Going Solo!
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.
CCatharina

Post by CCatharina »

Hello Derek/Derrick (maybe one of these spellings is right :p)

I listened to chapter one of your recording. It was almost perfect, except for a few minor points. These might not even be worth mentioning. I'm not quite familiar with the PL levels yet, so please excuse me if my comments are unnecessary. I'm afraid I went more to Word-Perfect proof listening than standard.

You mispronounce Boer throughout the chapter. If you need to correct this (I'm honestly not sure if you'd even need to), the timestamps are 00.50, 11.45, 14.40, 16.20, 16.49, 18.27, and 23.45. Anyways, it might be helpful to know the right pronunciation for further chapters. The pronunciation is closer to boar than bo-er. (https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/boer, use the blue speaker for the American pronunciation)

at 04.52, you missed a word "Afterwards, together they". This, however, does not disrupt the story. I don't think it needs to be edited.

at 13.30, you missed another word "This he could contemplate". The sentence sounds a bit awkward because it's missing the finite verb, but nothing majorly disruptive.

Apart from this, everything seems perfect! The checker shows no issues, the disclaimer is fine, no background noise, stutters or repeats, 5 seconds at the end are there. I have no further comments!

Kind Regards,
Catharina

p.s. I don't really know if I should just post my PL notes in the replies. If I need to post them somewhere else, please say so. I think I might want to review more chapters of this project. If I do, I'll post my notes in the correct place.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

p.s. I don't really know if I should just post my PL notes in the replies. If I need to post them somewhere else, please say so. I think I might want to review more chapters of this project. If I do, I'll post my notes in the correct place.
Thanks for the PL! This is exactly the place to post PL notes. :)
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

Chapter 2 ready for PL
CCatharina

Post by CCatharina »

Hello again!

I only found one small mistake, a repeat of "and remarked upon" around 12:38

I must repeat the 'Boer'-thing (at 21:24). I won't remark on the pronunciation of the other Dutch/Afrikaans words in the text because only Dutch- and Afrikaans-speaking people such as myself will notice these 'mistakes' :wink:. Boer is an exception, though (at least I think it is) because it has an agreed-upon correct English pronunciation. (This might just be me being pedantic. I took English pronunciation classes and now I'm an annoying know-it-all)

I'm getting invested in this story, so I'll probably stick around. I'm still not sure if I can be a DPL (I don't know if I'll have the time in the future), but you might hear more of my criticism :).

Kind regards,
Catharina
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

Catharina,

I will try correct the Boer pronunciation. Indeed I went through Chapter 1 and then lost my work and have not had time to repeat it.

If you have time to point out other problematic pronunciations, please do. I did try to discover the correct pronunciation of various words and not to take for granted that my assumed pronunciation would be correct but the words I was able to check on Forvo such as Natal and kaffir seemed that I was pronouncing them correctly or the difference is too subtle for me to hear.
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/ghostkings_02_haggard_128kb.mp3 Corrected

Do I need to make a change to the magic window?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes - please change the status to "Ready for Spot PL". And change the run time in the Notes field, if it has changed. :)
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

dltrial

Post by dltrial »