COMPLETE - SOLO: The Red Lamp by Mary Roberts Rinehart-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great to hear Jean!

She has quite a few works on LV: https://librivox.org/author/286?primary_key=286

As long as a book was published before 1925, we can read it. I'm not sure if this knocks out any of her material or not. Our readers decide what to read ... so the few in the public domain that are left are just waiting for a book coordinator or soloist to take them on.

MaryAnn
zachh

Post by zachh »

Mary Roberts Rinehart had a long writing career, with Wikipedia listing her last published novel as 1952. This means it will be 27 years, if my math is correct, before they will all be public domain. I'd like to record The State Vs. Elinor Norton in 8 years when it is PD(assuming I am still alive by then, and that the internet is still buzzing along), and I've not yet read a lot of her other later books but I'm sure there is a lot of good material there. There also are some of her earlier works that have been PD for a while and have not yet been recorded. If you search for her on Project Gutenberg you can see the ones that have been digitized (I think that's the word) as e-books, which makes them very handy to record.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I stumbled on her quite by accident when I picked The Street of Seven Stars as my second solo. I hadn't heard of her before, but I liked it so much I did The Man in Lower Ten shortly after that. ... And then The Amazing Interlude (I really liked that one!). She's someone that I keep thinking I will go back to, but there are so many books in my "want to read" stack that I never seem to make it. That's why I'm glad to see you pick up another one of her works as a solo.

MaryAnn
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

I’m too new at this to take on a role as BC. I’m rather nervous about a solo project as well. But I’ll think about it. Thanks for all the info!!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I listened to your recordings of all of those books and enjoyed them very much, and my mother listened and liked them too. I somehow had failed to make the connection that you are the very MaryAnn who did those readings. Thank you for doing those, they're really great.

I first tried a MRR book by reading The Circular Staircase years ago when I saw it on a list of books that came up when i was searching for 'Adirondacks' as a subject. When I began listening to LibriVox a few years ago I looked that book up to refresh my memory and then began listening to the other ones of hers that have been recorded. I keep hoping that someone will do a solo of The Circular Staircase, there is a nice group recording but since it's all told as a first person narrative it seems like it would be even better with one voice. I don't have the right kind of voice to do it at all convincingly.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

The Circular Staircase is on my wish list to solo!

Jean - keep recording and once you get some more chapters under your belt, don't be afraid to try a solo. Lots of people start with a children's book because they are easier to read and usually somewhat short. Nice factors for a first solo.

MaryAnn
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Hmmmmm.... is there a posting someplace that explains all the steps involved in doing a solo project? You've all intrigued me!
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Also, I don't see a group recording of The Circular Staircase. That's what I'm surprised about - that there aren't more of her mysteries here in Librivox. Unless I don't know where to look...
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

Ok - I kept digging and found the answers to both of my questions. Sorry to be so dense. :)
zachh

Post by zachh »

I'd be very excited to get to hear you read The Circular Staircase. I know you've got a lot of things to do, though, especially with being a MC as well as all the recording you do.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Jean! and don't worry about asking questions. There's a bit of a learning curve, and we've all been at the bottom of it. You'll find the folks around here happy to help!

Any chance you'd be interested in listening to Zach read this book as the Dedicated Proof Listener? Pretty simple. You listen for repeats, stumbles and things that make you go "huh?", then let Zach know if anything needs to be fixed.

MaryAnn
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

MaryAnn - I could do that. But you'd have to set me up. I know how it's done when people proofread, but I don't know the procedure. Do I just listen to them as they are posted? I don't know how to get them into the "Magic Window."

And Zach - I am not an MC. So far I've just been a reader. I think I'll proofread your book to broaden my horizons, and then tackle the Circular Staircase. I love to have a project lined up!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Jean! I've added you as a DPL for this project.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

When Zach uploads a new section, he will post in the thread to let you know. Please listen from the link in the MW (that serves as a check that Zach has accurately posted the link in the MW, and I need that link to be accurate when it comes time to catalog). Once you've listened, you update the status for that section in the MW and post any comments (or a PL OK note) in the thread. Zach circles back to make any corrections, and then you do a spot check. You're the one tagged to mark each section PL OK in the MW.

If you have any questions, just ask.

MaryAnn
smithjeanb

Post by smithjeanb »

OK, here are the questions:

What does DPL stand for?

I followed the instructions for logging in to the Magic Window, but there is nothing to look at when I log in with my new "status." Should there be? Or does that just give me rights to the Magic Window?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

DPL is Dedicated proof listener.

And the new login will give you rights to see behind the scenes for the magic window for this project. You get there by clicking on the BC Admin link below the MW.

MaryAnn