COMPLETE [SOLO] The Greenstone Door Satchell, William-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

I will be happy to DPL this project, if that is agreeable to you, or if you'd rather have someone more qualified I will certainly understand. I have only been a DPL once before as I am pretty new here. My knowledge of Maori words is limited to the few I remember from reading Ngaio Marsh mysteries set in New Zealand, and I am not sure if that is a problem. I listened to the preface and ran the file through Checker and it is PL OK. I could listen to a chapter a day till I catch up, and I should be able to do more on Sundays.
Zach
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

zach, wonderful. very grateful to have your ears and suggestions. i’m ok with most maori words - there is an excellent dictionary on line which helps me - but my execrable french is horrible (chap 6). i just relistened to it and think it prob needs a rerun. no rush. i’ll be recording one, maybe two chapters a week so we’re in this for the long haul.
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Maryann - ignore this message. I worked it out!
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you for allowing me to come along for the ride. I listened to Chapter 1 and your reading is great, very expressive while easy to follow, and the footnotes are very well done. The only problem I heard in the chapter is that there are about 2 seconds of silence at the start and 10 at the end. I think the guideline is 0.5 to 1 at the start and 5 at the end. Other than that it is PL OK. I don't think I have been given permission to get into the magic window yet, but once I am put on the list I will start going in and updating the status of each chapter after PL.

Don't worry about your French on my account, I know less than nothing about French pronunciation, so however you say it will sound good to me. I won't be caught up to Chapter 6 till Sunday or Monday anyhow, if you decide to redo it. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the story over the coming months.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Thanks Zachh - I've made those edits and linked the file in the Magic window -
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/greenstonedoor_chapter_1_satchell_128kb.mp3
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

I double checked Chapter 2 for silence before and after and re uploaded chapter 2. 1 minor edit (repeat 'It was the Pakeha's). Otherwise, wait your feedback.
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/greenstonedoor_chapter_2_satchell_128kb.mp3
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 1 and 2 are both PL OK. I'll be looking forward to listening to Chapter 3 tomorrow.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 3 is PL OK. I'm learning lots of new and interesting things.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Thanks zachh. Oh yes? Anything in particular?
The story is set about 3/4 of hour from where I grew up. The landscape and geology is familiar but I wish I knew more about Maori law and tonga of old times and thus be able to assess how accurate a portrayal this is.
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Chapter 8 Uploaded - Length 32:50 https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/greenstonedoor_chapter_8_satchell_128kb.mp3

Note: my course has started this week so I'll probably drop back to one or two recordings each week henceforth.
Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapters 4 and 5 are PL OK. I'm sorry, I still don't seem to have been put officially on the job so I can do my part of updating the MW. It's been interesting to hear so many new Maori words, and to get a description of the landscape of the area and the customs and social mores. It's especially interesting to start to get more of a picture of how the different Maori groups regarded and interacted with each other. This is my first exposure to a story that is told from within that civilization, rather than from the viewpoint of outside visitors. I met some folks who came from the northern end of the North Island about 19 years ago and were traveling around the world visiting various communities instead of going to college, they stayed with us for a couple of weeks or so and I enjoyed learning a little bit about their lives and their country. I don't know enough about NZ geography to understand what part of the country this book is set in. It's neat that it's so close to where you grew up.
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

I am not sure I know how to add you to the Magic window. Maryann might need to do it (Maryann?)

Pirongia and Kawhia are the main locations mentioned that will help you locate the story. See https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Pirongia+Mountain/@-37.9924992,174.8181819,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d6cd09243d87d01:0xf169907ec7993238!8m2!3d-37.9925!4d175.0983333 - this should give you a sense of where everything is set. I grew up in Kopaki and went to school in Te Kuiti (fun fact).

Kawhia as an important location for the 'Tainui' as it was where the Tainui waka (canoe) landed when they first reached New Zealand.

The Pa where Te Huata reigns is near the Kawhia harbour which you should be able to easily locate. Satchell is writing about a key period of New Zealand history where the Maori united in an effort to prevent land sales. About 20 years previous the treaty of Waitangi was signed but the interpretation of the document by the Maori differed from that of the Pakeha - mostly because the Maori version of the text didn't contain the sense that they were ceding their authority to the English Queen - here's a brief overview of the issue - https://nzhistory.govt.nz/politics/treaty/the-treaty-in-brief. In an effort to effectively fight Pakeha acquisitiveness, A Maori king was crowned - something never before done but this was seen as necessary to successfully fight the Pakeha - his seat was Ngaruawahia (north of Hamilton) and his tribe Waikato. The king country was a region where no land sales and no European could settle for about 20 years - something the Pakeha couldn't tolerate and eventually was overridden on various pretexts - and this is the central conflict at the time of this book. The King Country was located mostly in the area of this story - region of the Ngati Maniapoto.

This article will help place the context of the cause of conflict in this book. https://nzhistory.govt.nz/war/new-zealands-19th-century-wars/introduction

Greenstone as a symbol of peace (Alluded to in the title of the book) - https://teara.govt.nz/en/pounamu-jade-or-greenstone/page-7
Naomi Brewster
GNOMESB

Post by GNOMESB »

Naomi Brewster
zachh

Post by zachh »

Chapter 6 is PL OK, and the French sounds fine to me. It took me several tries yesterday to get a passable recording of the one French word I was faced with, rapprochement, so I am impressed that you are able to read strings of them. I'm sorry I didn't do any PLing yesterday, I did some recording for my solo and then ran out of time. I'll get back to a chapter a day for this week, and should be caught up in a few more days.

The story of the treaty is an interesting one, thank you for posting the links. The folks I knew lived somewhat to the north of where you grew up, I think. I know their address included Kaikohe and Whirinaki, but they lived 10 miles or more off the paved road in the bush if I recall correctly.

I think that you'd have to get MaryAnn to give me permission to access the MW since she's the MC, but I am not sure about that. I'm pretty new here and am still finding out about all the things I don't know yet.