COMPLETE [Solo] The Letters of Madame de Sévigné by Marie de Rabutin-Chantal - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 2 is PL OK.

Delightful and you are the perfect reader for this project!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:46 pm Hi Barbara,

Section 2 is PL OK.

Delightful and you are the perfect reader for this project!

Pam
Those years of French lessons are paying off .... Thanks for the PL.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

You are welcome!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Pam, sorry to inflict this upon you but I was dissatisfied with the sound quality of Section 00 (recorded early in the morning when my allergies were at their most rampant) so I re-recorded it tonight - for your PLing pleasure. :twisted: David, you will notice that the recording time of Section 00 is now 20:31 (I've altered the MW).

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/letters_00_sevigne_128kb.mp3

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

No problem, Barbara.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

The Preface is PL OK.

Sounds great!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Section 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/letters_03_sevigne_128kb.mp3
M:S
23:18

This is a section that could have done with even more footnotes - I spent some enjoyable time researching the personalities. I think I perceived a quotation from Molière too.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Section 3 is PL OK.

What a section!

According to Wikipedia, Madame de Sévigné's letters are our principal source for the famous suicide of Vatel. Alhough I haven't been to Versailles, I did visit the wonderful Vaux le Viscomte where Vatel oversaw the magnificent reception for Louis XIV which led to Fouquet's downfall. By the way, there is a pretty good movie, "Vatel," starring Gérard Depardieu, which depicts the events related in the letters.

And La Rochefoucauld--don't you love "Le bonheur n'est pas un événement, c'est une aptitude"?

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: March 4th, 2021, 5:58 pm

According to Wikipedia, Madame de Sévigné's letters are our principal source for the famous suicide of Vatel. Alhough I haven't been to Versailles, I did visit the wonderful Vaux le Viscomte where Vatel oversaw the magnificent reception for Louis XIV which led to Fouquet's downfall. By the way, there is a pretty good movie, "Vatel," starring Gérard Depardieu, which depicts the events related in the letters.

And La Rochefoucauld--don't you love "Le bonheur n'est pas un événement, c'est une aptitude"?

Pam
Thanks Pam, and Yes! to La Rochefoucauld.

You enjoyed the movie? I hadn't heard of it but - the extras! the costumes, the expense! It should have looked ravishing.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes, it looked great.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Hi Pam,

Section 4 - Mme de S is in Brittany, where "the incessant rain has been interrupted only by storms". :

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/letters_04_sevigne_128kb.mp3
M:S
19:17

I was going to check the mp3, as usual, on my little Walkman player. But it perished tonight! It went down with its cargo of hundreds of precious podcasts still on it...

But I think this section will be OK.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Oh my gosh, Barbara. That is so sad!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

In Section 4 at 16:15, there is a skip at "The honour of having described it so well...

I see that at Vitré there is a Musée des Rochers Sévigné.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

pnagami wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:43 am Hi Barbara,

In Section 4 at 16:15, there is a skip at "The honour of having described it so well...

I see that at Vitré there is a Musée des Rochers Sévigné.

My best,

Pam
Thanks, Pam. I hope it's OK now. I have changed the time in the MW.

Best,

Barbara
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Barbara,

Yes, perfect now.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson