Post by Kalamareader »

Amy,

She IMed me and all is set to go.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I guess the first question is, do you want me to PL chapter 5?

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jennifer and Amy,

I made an executive decision and I went ahead and PLed Chapter Five. I didn't know how to access the original MP3 file, so I just did it off of the link in the MW. So I couldn't check specs, only blips in the reading, so here is what I found:

10:00 Could hope for salvation Inserted “only” between 'could' and 'hope'.

12:47 on the enemy's resources and moral, You read it correctly, but I really think this is an error in scanning (this happens every once in a while). Reading the context, I am sure the word the author meant was “morale”. If you agree, you can change it. If not, if 'moral' is correct, you pluralized it.

13:02 when the rapping on the window halted him. You said tapping. I don't really think this changes the meaning of the sentence, so it is up to you.

20:08 anywhere away from the ruin of explosive, You said rain

21:09 That was in the beginning, You left out “in:lol:

I enjoyed the reading. Your voice and the way the mic is set up really adds to the atmosphere of the story. What a place to start listening. The World at war and you (the listener) are right in the middle of it.

I am looking forward to more.

Thanks for the chance.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jmazzocchi wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:04 am Thank you! I will adjust accordingly.

p.s. I believe I did a test.
Jennifer,

I said that you had to post the 'link' in the forum so I could PL. I was wrong, all you have to do is make sure you post it in the MW and I can get it from there. I just now figured it out. :oops: It is soooo simple, I just never tried it before. So, just a note in the forum that you have posted a Chapter is all I need here, plus all the stuff you need to do in the MW.

I am looking forward to Tuesday to listen to Chapter One.

Wayne
Wayne
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

You were right to expect the links to be posted, Wayne. We do like to have the link posted as well as added to the Magic Window, but some soloists don't.
Cheers,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Jmazzocchi

Post by Jmazzocchi »

Jmazzocchi

Post by Jmazzocchi »

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I'll make the changes to Chapter 5 and post a new link with the correct tech settings too. I was wondering about "moral" so I'll change it to morale. So appreciate your help!

I posted the link to Chapter 1. Here's one more.

Link to Chapter 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jennifer,

Very well done. There a very few things that we can work on:

3:15. A long gap in the middle of a sentence. Could be shortened with good effect.

5:09 A little noise that can be easily cut out.

6:52 unshorn you said unshored.

13:58.5 to a cloud that was not yet the size of a man's hand, I heard head. But then again, I could be wrong, it has happened before.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jmazzocchi wrote: March 29th, 2021, 8:01 am Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I'll make the changes to Chapter 5 and post a new link with the correct tech settings too. I was wondering about "moral" so I'll change it to morale. So appreciate your help!

I posted the link to Chapter 1. Here's one more.

Link to Chapter 2: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_02_hamilton_128kb.mp3
Jennifer,

Again, very well done. It is interesting, having listened to Chapter 5, to see how all this comes together.

A couple of minor things:

3:56.5 It was some time before Theodore was even touched by the herding instinct and spirit ; apart, in a delicate world of his own, This is a case where I usually don't say anything at all, but in this one, I think it really makes a difference. In your reading, you attach the word 'apart' to the phrase before the semicolon, then leave a long pause then start in with 'in a delicate world….. I really think the author wanted the “apart' connected to the last phrase of the sentence. Try reading it to yourself with “apart” connected to the first phrase, then with it connected to the next phrase. I think you will see what I mean.

4:33 and, so soon as might be, You said as. I think this makes a subtle difference in the sentence.

Keep up the good work,

Wayne
Wayne
Jmazzocchi

Post by Jmazzocchi »

Thank you so much for being such a careful reader and for the detailed feedback. I so appreciate it! This is a truly fascinating book and I want it to be the best it can be. I'll make these changes and repost links when done. I will add Chapter 3 shortly (be warned, I think it is my weakest). Thanks again! So appreciate your help.
Jmazzocchi

Post by Jmazzocchi »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jennifer,

Continuing your good reading. On this one it seems like it took you a while to really get in the flow of things, then it got very good.

Here are a few things that we should look at:

At the beginning, please cut the silence down to .5-1 second. You are a little over one second.

1:47 There is a long gap in the middle of a sentence that could be cut down with good effect.

2:36 Another long gap

3:08 Just pulled it off You left out the word it.

4:22 and his Impossible! Left out the word and

5:09.5 But that wasn't pushed quite so far. Left out quite

7:22.5 Another long gap.

19:51 Another gap

Just work on getting rid of the 'gaps'. As you are listening to the final rendition, watch for the gaps that break up the flow of the Narration. It will really help the reading. Also, I don't know if anyone has told you about this, but after you get a reading PLed and there are things you need to change, start with the correction nearest to the end of the reading. That way, as you go towards the beginning, the 'time stamps' of the corrections will stay the same.

Thanks,

Wayne

Edit: I just realized that I forgot to mention the problems with your file name. Your first ones were correct, but this one you added a "(2)" and and extra underline following the 128kb. As I was typing this, I thought that maybe that was what you might have done to ID it as one you were working on and forgot to change it back. Anyway, when you do the corrections above, please correct the file name too. :thumbs:
Wayne
Jmazzocchi

Post by Jmazzocchi »

Thanks so much Wayne. So appreciate the feedback. I have uploaded Chapter 4 for review. Here is a link as well: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_04_hamilton_128kb.mp3

I've also corrected Chap 1-3 and Chap 5 (and I'll correct the links too). For the corrected files do I just upload them into the MW again and reset to Ready for PL?

As always, so appreciate your help.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jmazzocchi wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 2:47 pm Thanks so much Wayne. So appreciate the feedback. I have uploaded Chapter 4 for review. Here is a link as well: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/theodoresavage_04_hamilton_128kb.mp3

I've also corrected Chap 1-3 and Chap 5 (and I'll correct the links too). For the corrected files do I just upload them into the MW again and reset to Ready for PL?

As always, so appreciate your help.
Yes, that is correct. But if you will, will you drop me a note here in the forum when you have either posted a Chapter for the first time, or if you have corrected one and are looking for a "Spot PL". Use exactly the same file name when you unload a 'corrected' reading, the servers will replace the old posting with the new one. Yes, put the new file names in the MW as well as here in the forum so I can go through them again and give you a plok :D . I can go through your stuff now, so let me know when you have changed the files in the MW or post them here so I make sure I am listening to the 'new' files.

Keep up the good work,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jennifer,

I just listened to Chapter 4. FANTASTIC!! You are getting better and better. Your reading, inflection, interpretation, are great. Keep up the good work.

Oh, yes, incidentally, Chapter 4 is PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box.

I just read for LV part of a speech that President Wilson gave in 1917 about the root causes of WWI, and it is amazing how Markham's comments seemed to reflect what the world was like at that time. And sometimes it seems like it is the same now. :(

Wayne
Wayne