[COMPLETE]Tom Swift and His War Tank by Victor Appleton - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Chapter 2

On solos, you can use the shortened INTRO after Chapter 1 (see First Post INTRO instructions). No need to change here unless you want to.
10:13 "Jove! if he really didn't know who I was," you say he instead of I.
11:43 A London banker friend of mine sent it to me, you say me instead of mine. HINT: You could re-record, or you might just delete "of mine", because the meaning would remain correct.
12:33 Repeated: You don't mean to say you've seen that picture before. Second iteration is correct.

As I recall, you did Compression on Chapter 1 with settings I had recommended , but it looks like not on Chapter 2. I recommend you perform that function to get rid of those peak volume bursts and to create uniformity between chapters.
As it stands now:
Volume Chapter 1 = 90.5
Volume Chapter 2 = 87.9
After compression, 2 would be at 87. Then, you could Amplify +2, and reduce Chapter 1 by -1.5 would realize a more uniform volume between them.
And on future chapters shoot for 89.

Everything else sounds good.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hi Nathan, this is a test of your subscription. Let me know if you get this.
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Nothing yet
msfry

Post by msfry »

Maria, Nathan is having trouble receiving email notifications of posts to this project. We have set all our Control Panel settings to receive emails. He does not receive notifications, either. Can you help us out here?
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Revisions made and I think I got the volume to 89ish. 13 minutes on the nose now. Lemme know if its ok

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_02_appleton_128kb.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Spot PL Notes Chapter 2
There are 8 seconds of lead silence. All intros are to be between .5 and 1 second. Lop off 7 seconds, and this chapter will be ship shape!
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

12:52 now - I removed the extra space at the beginning! About to begin Chapter 3 and hopefully will have edited later today or tomorrow!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_02_appleton_128kb1.mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

NathanPFry wrote: March 24th, 2021, 9:04 am 12:52 now - I removed the extra space at the beginning! About to begin Chapter 3 and hopefully will have edited later today or tomorrow!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_02_appleton_128kb1.mp3
Chapter 2 is PL OK. Alright!
Just so you know, yesterday I recorded a short story during the thunder storm. I made sure to record 6 seconds of the rolling thunder with pattering rain as a sample, and Audacity noise cleaned it right out of there. So now I know I can record when it is raining and rolling thunder!! :D
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Chapter 3 - Post-zoom session....I hope its an improvement! Worked on pauses and articulation, also proof listened.

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_03_appleton_128kb.mp3

10:39
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 3 is technically PL OK. Volume within range. No text errors. Great clarity of sound in your mike.

But Ned's voice, especially when he exclaims things, creates many red vertical lines in the wave form (turn on View/Show Clipping), indicating "too hot", verifying visually what my ear is hearing. I think this file would greatly benefit by a bit of compression at the settings I mentioned before : -14, -40, 5:1, left, left, nothing checked. It brings down Ned's volume but his exclamatory remarks remain exclamatory. This also brings your volume down to 88.1, so you can then amplify +1 if you're aiming for 89 throughout your files.

Pauses between phrases as demonstrated in the narrator workshop is a tricky technique to know when to apply. I find it most helpful when the text is convoluted and the brain has to cipher what is being said. I thought it made the flow of this particular text sound a bit stilted. Sporadic pauses work better in any case, certainly not after every phrase.

Go ahead and fool with it, and if you like it better, reupload, and I'll check it again.
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Ok, I'll check it out. When I tried to apply the compressor it shrunk the file to half and failed the checker. Sounded muddled and awful too on my speakers. Tried to compress 5 different settings and no luck. But I never have any luck with PC. Feel free to compress and adjust if it works on your system and I'll keep trying to tweak! Thanks for the feedback
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, I applied compression and amplification as described and here's how it came out. (Notice the 03mtf, signifying this is my revised file.) Have a listen in Audacity and see what you think. If you like it okay, save it with the original file name and upload as yours.
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/tomswiftwartank_03mtf_appleton_128kb.mp3
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Ok, will do! Thanks
NathanPFry

Post by NathanPFry »

Have spent the morning working on a few shortuts and microphone configuaration and settings because I'm not happy with my tone or the extreme volume variances in my voice, and definitely want a different keyboard layout to let me start, stop and listen more easily. So far I like what I'm getting but not quite there yet. With rain predicted for the rest of the week I plan to record at least three and maybe more Chapters and have them to you by Friday!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Great! Thanks for checking in and I look forward to hearing more of the story.