[COMPLETE] The Crocodile, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Click on the "BC Admin" link just below the Magic Window in the first post. ;)

No worries - we were all new once! 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
phillipcryan

Post by phillipcryan »

Now I see where that is. Thank you! However, when I click on "BC admin," I get this message:

"You don't have permissions for this area.

Return to LibriVox Management Tool Homepage"

And I am definitely signed in. Any suggestions?

Sorry again to be so slow with all this!
P
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You probably signed in with the generic uploader login. Correct?

You'll need to log out of that and log in using your personalized one.

If you haven't set up your personal workflow login (it's different than the forum password setup), see HERE.

I recommend never using the generic login to get to the uploader, even on projects that aren't your solo. Just use your personal login. That way you can always access your MW. 8-)

I'm around for another 30-45 minutes, if you have further trouble and need to post again. :)
phillipcryan

Post by phillipcryan »

Shoot, I'm at a loss. I really appreciate all your attempts to help. I just did the whole "first time accessing the system" protocol over again for a second time, and set a new password, hoping that the problem was because I'd done that wrong somehow when I did it a couple weeks ago. But when I click on "BC admin" I still get the same message saying I don't have access to it. I can go to the management tool page with information about the project, but I can't get into the "BC admin" link under the Magic Window.

:(

Phillip
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did you click "Logout" on that "you don't have access" page then try again?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, here's a Q for you.

Are you planning on sticking with LibriVox and doing other solos? If so, it's best if we get this figured out. If not, and you are planning on finishing off this solo and that's it, then I can work the MW for you so that you don't have to stress about it over one project.

Heading out. I'll be back in maybe 2-3 hours.
phillipcryan

Post by phillipcryan »

Good question. I would really like to do more of these, if I can figure out how to use the system without it being so confusing and stressful. But possibly I am too dumb about computers to be able to figure this out. I am sure I now have two different login passwords, one for the forum and one for the BC part, and yet whichever of the two I put in, I only ever get to the management projects-overview page, never to the one it looks like I'm supposed to be getting to in order to update the MW. No idea why.

In the meantime, here's the recording of the fourth and final chapter of this project:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/the_crocodile_chapter_4_cryan.mp3

Please let me know if there's some other better way to try steer me past whatever obstacles I seem to keep running into here on the basic set-up.

Thanks,
Phillip
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OHMYGOODNESS! Another admin let me know that I hadn't added you in as the BC! (In other words, I hadn't given you access to the project!) I'm so sorry!!

You should be able to get in now. :roll:
phillipcryan

Post by phillipcryan »

Aha, now I can get in! :)

Will spend some time later tonight trying to figure out updating file names, etc. according to the instructions as best I can, and will let you know when done with that.

Best,
Phillip
phillipcryan

Post by phillipcryan »

Okay, I took another look through all the comments and instructions here. The one piece I can't figure out how to do is update the file names to the correct format, but hopefully someone else can do that since the ones I've used have the right information in them (I think) just not the right sequence/format.

And here's a brief description of the story I put together, since the Wikipedia one I originally posted can't be used:

Fyodor Dostoevesky's "The Crocodile," first published in 1865 in the magazine "Epoch," is the story of Ivan Matveitch, a young man who gets swallowed by a crocodile, and survives. What will life be like for him, inside the crocodile? How will his marriage with Elena Ivanovna fare?

Best,
Phillip
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks - I've put the summary into the database. :)

Changing the file names will happen if/when you have edits to make. When you export the file after making any edits, change the file name then, and then upload the edited file. If there are no changes to make, I can change the file names at cataloging time.

The DPL will post any changes to make, when she is able to listen and post.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello.
I am posting my apologies for not pling what has been posted today. I have not forgotten to check on this thread and I promise to pl the posted chapters by the end of this week.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Philip,
I have just listened to all 4 of your recorded chapters. The story was made more engaging listening to your different voices, appropriate for the roles. Well done for that!!
I will list my findings with edits for you to make.

chapter 1:
* This has a double track. I do not know quite how to tell you to fix this so I am thinking that the MC, Ann will step in here.

* The beginning is not the written text. Please delete the current recorded text to replace with the text for chapter 1.
Following your having said the chapter number this is the text beginning:

"On the thirteenth of January of this present year, 1865, at half-past twelve in the day, Elena Ivanovna, the wife of my cultured friend Ivan Matveitch, who is a colleague in the same department, and may be said to be a distant relation of mine, too, expressed the desire to see the crocodile now on view at a fixed charge in the Arcade."
* The file is incorrectly named as there is a . after the number 1, Chapters 2, 3 & 4 are correct so please do change it to be like those.
* Please amplify entire file with +3.0 amplification, amplifying effect is located in Audacity, upper area, under effects at the top of that.

chapter 2:
* 4:00 the text shows "you are speaking of his wife?" I hear "you are speaking of my wife?" Please put in the correct and delete the incorrect.
* 8:50 the text shows "is poison"."I hear is pshoah" garbled word. Please fix.
* the volume is lower from 11:24-11:27.5 so please select that area and increase the volume there by +2.5
* please delete words following "end of chapter 2" they are not suggested for each chapter, those are only necessary at the end of the book. "end of chapter # for all other chapters.
* remove clicks at 20:12, 20:14 & 20:18
* ensure there are 5 seconds of silence at the end.

chapter 3:
* word "been" is at the wrong location.
please copy it from 6:19, paste it in at 6:21 than delete it at 6:19
* 7:32 I hear "I wish here to be celebrated" it should be 'I wish her to be celebrated", please delete current once new is put in .
* 9:13-9:16.5 please amplify +1.5, volume is lower here.
* 10:58-11:01 amplify by +1.5, volume is also lower here.
* 17:26 delete word " was", not in text.
* 21:59 I hear "deserts me" though it should be "deserts him", please fix.
* cut off 1/2 second from ending to maintain the full 5 seconds for the ending silence.

chapter 4:
* amplify entire file by 2.0 & cut off 1/2 second from ending for the 5 seconds of ending silence

Okay please do the above edits & repost. Thank you.
April
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Regarding double track: if the volume levels are the same on both, then you can go to Tracks / Mix / Mix Stereo Down to Mono.

If the volume levels are different, then on the track itself on the far left side where it's named, above the mute button and next to the X, click on the track name there and select Split Stereo to Mono. Then delete the quieter one.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

TriciaG wrote: February 16th, 2021, 4:40 pm Regarding double track: if the volume levels are the same on both, then you can go to Tracks / Mix / Mix Stereo Down to Mono.

If the volume levels are different, then on the track itself on the far left side where it's named, above the mute button and next to the X, click on the track name there and select Split Stereo to Mono. Then delete the quieter one.
Thank you, tomorrow I can do as you have stated Patricia. I am so plain horrified that I mistakenly referred to you by the wrong name. I am sorry.
April