ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 18 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

Thanks for the PL on 17 & 18 - Sections 22 ~ 24 now uploaded.

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Sections 19 and 20 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

21 and 22 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 23 PL Ok!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 24 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1
Location: Living the (Broadland) dream somewhere between the Middle of Nowhere & the Back of Beyond

Post by TND1 »

Thanks for the PL on 19 ~ 24 - Section 25 now uploaded.

We leave the birds of Breydon behind now and check out what's lurking in the watery depths of the Broads! :)

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 25 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1

Post by TND1 »

Thanks for the PL on 25 - Section 26 now uploaded.

Cheers

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 26 PL OK!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1

Post by TND1 »

Thanks for the PL on 26 - Sections 27 & 28 now uploaded.

Section 28 has a lot of detail about one of my favourite fishes - the dog fish. Well, it is my favourite whenever I go to my local fish & chip shop!! :) Where for marketing purposes it is called (in my part of the country) 'Rock Eel' or very occasionally 'Rock Huss'.

Well, we're almost there now, with just the one section to go!

Cheers

TND
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Closing in on the end! 27 and 28 are PL OK!

I personally enjoyed the section about the “delicacy” of the dried skate best...tho I’m with Patterson, I don’t think I would have been brave enough to try it!

Is this the end of Mr Knowlittle or do you have more in the works by him?

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

TND1

Post by TND1 »

ColleenMc wrote: May 31st, 2021, 11:56 am Closing in on the end! 27 and 28 are PL OK!
Thanks for the PL on those sections. I'm hoping to be able to release the final section this week sometime but whilst editing, I've realised that a few parts need to be re-recorded! :(
I personally enjoyed the section about the “delicacy” of the dried skate best...tho I’m with Patterson, I don’t think I would have been brave enough to try it!
AHP's description of this fisherman's “delicacy” reminded me of similar dried meats such as American jerky or South African biltong. I think that I'll give both these & the skate a miss as well!
Is this the end of Mr Knowlittle? ...
No - not yet, you'll be pleased to hear! :)

The End of Mr Knowlittle? (Now that'd make a great title for a book, though!)
... or do you have more in the works by him?
A 'Wherry' 'Broad' plan (did you see what I did there?) would be to look at recording four more books over the next eighteen months or so.

Two of these (as with most previous ones) concern nature around Breydon and on the Broads. Another is a 'Broads sailing holiday' book similar to the one we did last year which documented AHP's trip on a Breydon Punt. The forth one, which I must admit, I haven't checked out properly yet, is completely different in that it about his connection with his local chapel and the influence that Primitive Methodism had on his life and on the life of the locals in and around Great Yarmouth.

There are a further four books that he published around 1929 ~ 1930 that won't be out of copyright (for Librivox purposes) until a few years time.

He also published innumerable articles in various publications that if there were sufficient available could be grouped into a special project. I am keeping a check on the local secondhand booksellers and local vintage book auctions to try and pick up some of these.

However, to provide a bit of a diversion whilst I was editing the sections of this project, I did record most of a 'Broads sailing holiday' book but by a different author. Compared to AHP's work, I found this book to be a 'light holiday read' but the author, Walter Rye, was another important person of Broads renown.

So, if you're interested, we could look at setting this up as a project in a couple of weeks or so's time.

... The End of Mr Knowlittle? - No there's life in the old boy's writings yet! ;)

Cheers

TND

PS: I have also recently acquired a (1902) copy of a humorous novel based in Broadland which is proving to be a right royal pain when attempting to digitise it - Mainly because it is in such a grim condition! But since I won't be able to release that book until 2023, I have a bit more time to drag it kicking and screaming into something resembling a PDF file!! :lol:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

You are very dedicated and I'm looking forward to working with you on more of these projects! I was also thinking that his writings could be a cool basis for a middle-grades kid lit book -- basically have a kid's eye view of rambling around with an eccentric and knowledgeable grandfather who would basically spout off Patterson's findings and allow the kid (and thus the readers) to meet the sort of old fellas who were already relics in Patterson's time and hear about/see things like the dried skate snacks. And having a campout with Granddad on his beached boat and a sailing trip etc.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon