[COMPLETE] Short Stories 1859-63 by Elizabeth Gaskell - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Short Stories (All the Year Round, 1859-1863) by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell (1810 - 1865).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/short-stories-1859-1863-by-elizabeth-cleghorn-gaskell// [/color]
In 1859 Charles Dickens launched a new weekly journal, All the Year Round, to replace Household Words. Elizabeth Gaskell remained a prolific contributor until 1863. Her fictional contributions feature strong female characters and have a darker tone than her previous works, reflecting the fashion for Gothic fiction of the 1860s and her travels in Europe. They include two of her best known shorter works: Lois the Witch, a heartfelt story of a young English girl who becomes of a victim of the Salem witch trials, and The Grey Woman, a powerful tale of a deceived wife's flight from her husband, a nobleman who turns out to be a leader of the French 'chauffeurs'. Two of Gaskell's most complex family sagas were thinly disguised as Christmas Ghost stories: The Ghost in the Garden Room (later, The Crooked Branch) and How the First Floor Went to Crowley Castle. The Cage at Cranford is a short reprise of Gaskell's Cranford stories. Of the two documentary pieces, Select Committee on French Songs (attributed to Gaskell in 2015) appears here for the first time in a collection of Elizabeth Gaskell's work. (Phil Benson)

============================================

Genres for the project: Short Stories/Single Author Collections

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Short Stories (All the Year Round, 1859-1863). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Short Stories (All the Year Round, 1859-1863), by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Short Stories (All the Year Round, 1859-1863) by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Short Stories (All the Year Round, 1859-1863), by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename shortstories(alltheyearround18591863)_##_gaskell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. shortstories(alltheyearround18591863)_01_gaskell_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Short Stories (All the Year Round, 1859-1863)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is:Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by eggs4ears on April 7th, 2021, 4:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC and Newgatenovelist DPL - This is a new collection, in addition to the Household Words collection I set up last week. I am editing Lois the Witch and the Gray Woman now.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MW set up.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks Anne!

Part the first of Lois the Witch ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_01_gaskell.mp3 - 50:41
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in!
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Notes for Part the First. Thanks for having me along for the ride. It's been too long since I last read this, and I can't believe how much I'd forgotten!

1.18, p 564 first column first para
is this clipped or truncated, possibly through editing?
...in shape of outline to those which Lois Barclay [this is where I had the query] knew well in her old home in Warwickshire.

10.23, p 565 second column first para, omission
“Poor wench! [poor wench!] It is a strange land to her...

22.10-22.13, p 567, last full para
...every gun loaded, and every ear [heard car, but I think it’s ear] on the watch...
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part the first is corrected and uploaded. I am struggling through Part the second which should come in at just under 80 minutes, while Part the third is around two and half hours! Dickens must have had more space to give her than he did in Household Words. I'll take them away with me and hopefully get them done by the end of the year.

Seasons greetings to both of you and have a great Xmas and New Year!
Newgatenovelist

Lois the Witch 1 is spot PL OK.

If you need to split Parts II and III into more sections, by all means do. As a reader those sound like monster sections to record and edit, but as a listener it's quite exciting to have more Gaskell to listen to!

I have no idea if this is any good, but there's a BBC radio adaptation of The Good Soldier (an hour - how did they squash it into an hour?), if you fancy some FMF as you cook or do chores.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000plwp

Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_02_gaskell.mp3 - 71:37

Lois, Part the Second ready for PL! I'm afraid 70 minute recordings are going to be par for the course for this project.

Planning ahead, I've decided to consider A Dark Night's Work a novel (it was published over 8 issues) and leave it out. I have already recorded The Grey Woman, which means that there is not too much left to record. So the plan is to stick with this collection until it is finished.

I've updated the MW with all of the links. Lois part 3 and Crowley Crowley will be split in two, but Im not sure exactly where yet.

Thanks for the Good Soldier link - I also wonder how they can do justice it in an hour. I am loving the Witches of Scotland podcasts - the perfect accompaniment to Lois the Witch!
Newgatenovelist

Notes for Part the Second are below. Gaskell does a great job of building the ominous atmosphere. Just as well I'm not listening to this on Halloween!

No problem at all that the sections are bout 70 minutes. That will take me a little bit longer to PL, but it's great that you're doing these Gaskell pieces. Split the upcoming sections wherever you need to.

I'm glad you're getting into the Witches of Scotland! Some of that has been in the back of my mind as I listen, I'll admit.

8.39-8.45, p 588 bottom half first column
...but our English ancestors entertained superstitions [heard suspicions] of much the same character at the same period…

15.29-15.34, p 589 first column last full para, omission
...why Faith had lost all care about [father or mother, brother and sister,] about household work and daily occupation…

34.28, p 592 first column top half, omission
“Cousin Manasseh! [Cousin Manasseh!]” cried Lois after him…

39.12-39.16, p 592 second column second para, omission
Evening was coming on, and the wood fire was [more cheerful than any of the human beings] surrounding it...

41.05, top third p 593 first column, omission
...as if to himself. [“But all submission-] all submission.”

52.08-52.15, top third p 594 second column, stumble
“I come back to ask if perchance I may- I may call this evening to inquire how young Mistress Hickson finds herself?”

55.11, p 595 first column first para, omission
[Lois, my cousin,] I have seen it in a vision…

57.35-57.38, p 595 first column last full para
...and not a prelatist and a stranger like this girl.
https://howjsay.com/how-to-pronounce-prelatist
I don’t think this one is a big deal, but I’ve noted it in case you want to change anything.

1.01.10, bottom p 595 second column, omission
[“He cares not for me,” said Faith.] “He cares more…

1.06.41, bottom half p 596 second column, omission
[Faith,] lay straws across on the doorsill.”
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

I think I'm now seeing Manchester everywhere! Did you see this story? Part of a bathhouse that opened in 1857 has been rediscovered. It looks gorgeous (and incredibly well preserved, what's left of it), and it's hard to believe it opened a year or two before Lois the Witch was published.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jan/10/victorian-mayfield-bathhouse-uncovered-archaeologist-beneath-manchester-car-park
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_03_gaskell.mp3 - 59:11

This is the first part of part the third, ready for PL! The second and final part will follow in a day or two.

Thanks for the PL notes on Part 2. So many omissions! I remember that this recording was quite tiring on the eyes - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

That is interesting! I know that housing conditions were especially bad in the 1840s, so maybe that was a sign of things getting a little bit better. Nice to see they are making a park there as well. I don't think much has happened in that part of town since the second world war.
Newgatenovelist wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:46 pm I think I'm now seeing Manchester everywhere! Did you see this story? Part of a bathhouse that opened in 1857 has been rediscovered. It looks gorgeous (and incredibly well preserved, what's left of it), and it's hard to believe it opened a year or two before Lois the Witch was published.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jan/10/victorian-mayfield-bathhouse-uncovered-archaeologist-beneath-manchester-car-park
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 2 corrected and uploaded and Part 2 of Part 3 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_04_gaskell.mp3

Could I ask to look out for 'prelatist' in 04 - it is in there somewhere but just realised I didn't correct it. Also I have chosen Ha as in HaHa! for the pronunciation of Justice Hathorn. I'm not sure whether that is right or not (it could be Hawthorn?), but I was inconsistent and also said 'Haythorn'. I think I caught them all, but may have missed one or two.

Listening back, this is a really powerful story, one of her best!
Newgatenovelist

eggs4ears wrote: January 14th, 2021, 3:38 am I remember that this recording was quite tiring on the eyes - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Ha! No problem at all. Working from these scans is slower for PLing and spot checking. That's not a complaint, just an observation. I think it's an excellent thing that you're working from the original publication regardless of finicky-ness. And I'm not even doing the hard part, the actual reading!

I have two notes for Part the Second. Neither requires re-recording. I think they just hid among the tiny type in the double columns!

15.29-15.34, p 589 first column last full para, omission
...why Faith had lost all care about [father or mother, brother and sister,] about household work and daily occupation…
The missing bit has been added, but there is now repetition of ‘household work’ – just delete one and this will be okay!

52.08-52.15, top third p 594 second column, stumble
“I come back to ask if perchance I may- I may call this evening to inquire how young Mistress Hickson finds herself?”
I think this one might have been overlooked!

I've only just seen this - a radio drama of Neil Gaiman's The Sleeper and the Spindle. I've not listened to it yet, but I'm going to try to get to it in the next couple of days. It's up for just over a week and is an hour long, in case you're interested:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qm49
Off LV 25-28 March.