[COMPLETE] Short Stories 1859-63 by Elizabeth Gaskell - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! Those two corrections have been made and Part the Second uploaded again. I noticed that the sound of my voice on the replacement text is really different to the original - not sure why I can't get the same quality, I may have another go later, but it may just the passage of time!

I'll give The Sleeper and the Spindle a try - my wife is a bigger Gaiman fan than I am - I don't seem to be able to get the point of him.... And I still have the Good Soldier to listen to, if it is still there!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Notes for section 3 below.

If she gets to listen, I hope your wife likes the Gaiman drama. There's a lot to listen to, so I'm not surprised you have a queue!

With editing in re-recorded bits, you could always try recording the lines multiple times in multiple recording sessions at at different points during the sessions, then taking the best one of the lot to try to match the surrounding sound. Just a thought!

12.04-12.09, p 610 second column bottom half
...that they might wrestle with Satan before delivering her up to the civil [heard evil] power.

12.22-12.25, p 610 second column bottom half
...which should ultimately release them and their fellow-sufferers.
Slight stumble on fellow, as in fellow-er? I don’t think it’s really noticeable, but you’ve changed smaller things in the past.

48.59-49.03, p 616 first column top half
Speaking of those “unbelieving [heard unbelievable] Sadducees”...
Newgatenovelist

Part the Second is spot PL OK!
Newgatenovelist

A few notes for Part the Third II. This really is such a good story!

1.59-2.05, p 617 second column end first para, self-correction
...as to enable Dr. Cotton Mather to be heard again- to be again heard in prayer and exhortation.

13.18, p 619 first column mid-page-ish, omission
[Could it, oh God!-] could it be true that Satan had...

18.24-18.29, p 619 second column last para
The next day she was led before Mr. Hathorn and Mr Curwin, justices of Salem...
Hay-thorn

25.00, p 620 second column antepenultimate para, omission
...doubting her lover. [Oh! if she were but with him!] Oh! If she might but be with him!

29.28, p 621 top second column, omission
[For I am] but a young girl, and not…

46.20-49.23, p 623 second column bottom half, alternate take
“Mother!” “Mother!”

50.17-50.22, p 624 first column bottom half, correction (?)
(2 Kings, 14 [this is what I’m querying] xxiv. 4)
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Last two files for Lois the Witch, corrected and ready for spot PL!

Working on the Grey Woman now.
Newgatenovelist

Lois the Witch Part the Third, I and II, are spot PL OK. I'm so glad you've done this. It really is one of Gaskell's strongest short works, and it will given listeners a whole new appreciation of what she could do beyond her two most famous novels.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: January 28th, 2021, 2:44 pm Lois the Witch Part the Third, I and II, are spot PL OK. I'm so glad you've done this. It really is one of Gaskell's strongest short works, and it will given listeners a whole new appreciation of what she could do beyond her two most famous novels.
Mary Barton and Cranford? Or North and South? I didn't really enjoy what I read of Cranford, and I found Mary Barton a bit too sentimental. It is 'the great Manchester novel', but I think Mrs. Banks's 'the Manchester Man' deserves that accolade, though it is much less well-known. I think she got better as she got older, so maybe I should try North and South...

Meanwhile, here is the first serving of the Grey Woman -

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_07_gaskell.mp3 - 43:04
Newgatenovelist

Two very short notes for Grey Woman, Portion the First. The first one is a bit picky. My goodness - a nefarious Frenchman-cum-Bluebeard! A wicked stepmother (ish) figure!

I was thinking of Mary Barton and North and South, as I think Cranford isn't straightforwardly a novel, or wasn't composed as one, like the others are. But in the last 15 or so years it's Cranford and North and South that were adapted for television, so perhaps those are the better known ones!

1.32-1.36, p 300 first column second para, omission
I went to drink [coffee] there with some friends in 184-.

18.11-18.16, p 302 second column first para
I was silently [heard slightly] vexed, I remember, at Babette’s inspection of my clothes…
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! Portion the first corrected and ready for spot PL! Portion the second will be not too far behind. Exciting isn't it? We are about to enter the world of the 'chaufffeurs' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauffeur_(criminal)
Newgatenovelist

Portion the First is spot PL OK!

Last night I was prepping a section I'm recording, also set in a bygone France - also very lawless and full of ruffians! I guess these demure mid-Victorian authors were coming up with some pretty wild material! Bring on Portion the Second...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Here we go! Portion the second ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_08_gaskell.mp3 - 54:23

I'm afraid this is a bit of a raggedy recording with quite a few clunky edits and probably more to come. I hope there is some enthusiasm in my voice to make up for it.

If you remember, I recorded these during the Gaskell House readalong last year and by this point I was struggling to keep up! I think you can hear that. Plus the Gray woman becomes more and more German as the recording goes along :lol:
Newgatenovelist

Notes for Portion the Second are below. Amante really deserves her own story!

You've made me feel better about my own editing practices. I'm impressed that you have these files from last year. I've been neglecting files I recorded more recently than the Gaskell House readalong, but which have been sitting unedited, quietly reminding me to come back to them, ever since! I'm comforted to know it's not just me being a naughty narrator who doesn't edit immediately!

30.13-30.17, p 325 first column first para, self-correction
I hated it I hated and dreaded him from that moment.

35.16-35.24, bottom quarter p 325, omission
They had not dared to leave him where he was slain for [fear] lest people should come and recognise him, and raise the hue and cry upon them.

43.30-43.34, p 327 first column first para
...was only fenced [heard faced] with iron bars, two of which were loose…
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks for the notes, and here is the final portion... There are a few bumps and scrapes in this file, so please tell me if they are intrusive. Although I fear that the corrections will sound worse than the mistakes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/shortstories4_09_gaskell.mp3 - 54:36

Yes, Amante is a great character and you'll be pleased to know she does kind of get her own story. But there is a hint of some deep dark secret and that she'll be revealed as being somebody else... but unfortunately that is not going to happen.

I guess we all had a recording blast last year! What I've learnt from this exercise is that it is a good idea to do a quick edit straight away to check for things that will need correcting and do those straight away!
Newgatenovelist wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:47 pm Notes for Portion the Second are below. Amante really deserves her own story!

You've made me feel better about my own editing practices. I'm impressed that you have these files from last year. I've been neglecting files I recorded more recently than the Gaskell House readalong, but which have been sitting unedited, quietly reminding me to come back to them, ever since! I'm comforted to know it's not just me being a naughty narrator who doesn't edit immediately!
Newgatenovelist

One note for Portion the Third is below.

For my own recording, with some files that have to be just so I do record, check and edit all right away. But usually my recording revolves around whether or not it's windy/raining/snowing/bin day/student party night. I always figure that editing can be done at any time, but the premium is on good recording conditions... though sometimes that does leave me with a file pile!

Have you seen that John Rylands have digitised some manuscripts, including Gaskell's, and including The Grey Woman?
https://rylandscollections.com/2021/02/08/placeholder-gaskell-and-dickens-mdc-launch/

24.48-24.51, p 351 first column bottom first para
Then the ostler left the stable [heard table]...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Parts 2 and 3 of the Gray Woman corrected and ready for spot PL. A great story but I'm glad to see the back of those French and German accents! I'm reading the Ghost in the Garden Room now - back in Yorkshire - just my cup of tea!