[COMPLETE][Solo] Scottish Ghost Stories by Elliott O'Donnell - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Hi, I just uploaded Scottish Ghost Stories Section 5. Thanks :)
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I saw and have listened, so I will be in touch momentarily, so to speak.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Good job. You had fewer errors this time and most of them were fairly harmless, so we won't mention those. However, I want to reiterate the need to do a final review with the text to fix the more serious deviations. I just have a few things for you to fix. Note the direction below the MW (Magic Window where you submit your files) that states that there should be silence at the beginning of your file between 0.05 and 0.10. You are getting closer, but this time you are still slightly over and need to be under between the before mentioned parameters. And if you would also fix the following, it will make clearer the meanings:

At 4.04, you have said faint rather than distinct, which is opposite in meaning.
At 7:09, you have chopped off kitchens so it sounds like kitch. And at 10:13 you have clipped noise in the same way.
At 16:43, the word should be writhed, not withered, which mistake changes the meaning.

I like your pace, which to some would sound a little speedy and you do slow down nearer the end, but just be aware that a faster pace will contribute to clipping off endings of words. I mentioned a couple, but I noted some s's being left off and an ending -ly, that sort of thing. But I do enjoy your recordings. Keep up the good work!
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

I do go over it, twice, trying to catch it all, but I am learning. Corrections will go today. I am having trouble getting the correct time right at the front. I thought I had it this time. Thanks again.
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

I have a question. Could my noisegate be clipping the ends of the words that were shortened?
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

I am a little confused. I think I am misunderstanding something. You state that " that states that there should be silence at the beginning of your file between 0.05 and 0.10. " but the MW says to leave 0.5-1.0 sec at the beginning. Which should I do? I thought I had left 1 sec, but I will gladly cut it down, but is it that 0.10 correct? I guess, I will cut it to 0.5, that should put me in a safe zone, correct? thanks
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Sorry my explanation was indeed unclear. You will begin your recording between 0.05 and 0.10 (and you can manipulate this by cutting, etc. later if need be), which means that the space before that is silent. But between doesn't mean end of, so you will not begin at 0.10 but before it and after 0.05. As for your review, which you say you are doing, you know now that you may have a tendency to clip off the endings of words, especially at the end of a sentence. But you are doing fine. We all want to have our ok first go, but the truth is that all of us have to go back now and then to correct errors our PL has noticed, which means that the final product will be better. It is a collaboration. And it insures that what we are recording is faithful to the author's words. Yours, Jim :thumbs:
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Ok, I just uploaded the corrected file. I went over it again, corrected some "s" drops, could not find the "ly", but I did figure out what was happening. When I remove my breaths, which are a little more pronounced because of a slight asthma, I am reducing the noise and overlapping a little too much. I could not figure out what was happening. I have cut the front time to 0.5, and made the corrections. I would like to reiterate that I do not mind these corrections at all. I now have a couple of things diagnosed that I can watch for. I want to be really good at this, thank you for your input. I will do my best not to be your problem child, lol, and make your work easier. I here Vow!! Have a good day, from cold, snowy Michigan USA
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I may have forgotten what else I had noticed at the end of words, so I am sorry I sent you on a wild-goose (that is I) chase for the nonexistent ly ending. You are all PL ok now. Don't worry about me. I enjoy a little different sort of interaction by doing an occasional DPL assignment. Take care. Jim
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Thanks for letting me know. It's good for me! :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

beardiepaw wrote: January 27th, 2021, 7:42 amI am a little confused. I think I am misunderstanding something. You state that " that states that there should be silence at the beginning of your file between 0.05 and 0.10. " but the MW says to leave 0.5-1.0 sec at the beginning. Which should I do? I thought I had left 1 sec, but I will gladly cut it down, but is it that 0.10 correct? I guess, I will cut it to 0.5, that should put me in a safe zone, correct?
hi Sherry, maybe you were confused by the way Jim was writing up time stamps, but I am sure he means the same than our guidelines. So what is actually meant is that we should not start too abruptly in the beginning, so at least leave half a second of silence there. On the other hand we should not let it linger too long before the text starts, or the listeners may be wondering whether there was something wrong with the audio :lol: That's why we recommend not exceeding 1 full second before the intro starts.

So bottom line: stay between half a second and one second of silence at the beginning and you are good.

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Thanks, I've done that. I am just uploading Section 6. I try to match my speed to my text, but I natually speak quickly, and have been trying to slow up. Kinda works sometimes, but i'll keep at it. I hope you are well. I'm going to go to the MW and put in this next section.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

What a story! Excellent rendition too! Very few and unimportant slips. The speed is fine with me, but if you think it too fast you can manipulate with the Change tempo control under Effect on Audacity. You are PL ok! :thumbs:
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

:clap: THANK YOU!! I started this book because I have a Scottish friend who lives near Pitlochry. I thought she would enjoy them. (Probably already have heard them,lol). She sent me a delightful pic on FB a couple days ago of a huge snowman someone built along the road to Pitlochry in full Scottish garb, arms akimbo. and, I think, a big snowy grin. I take it she likes the idea! Again, thanks!
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Oh, a short question. Should I go back to the other stories and correct the Edinburgh pronunciation? It would be relatively easy to do. Sher