[COMPLETE][Solo] Scottish Ghost Stories by Elliott O'Donnell - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Scottish Ghost Stories by Elliott O'Donnell (1872 - 1965).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/scottish-ghost-stories-by-elliott-odonnell/
A public domain collection of Scottish Ghost tales by Elliott O'Donnell. 1911 ( Sherry Morrow)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20034
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Scottish Ghost Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Scottish Ghost Stories, by Elliott O'Donnell. [Section title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section[number] of Scottish Ghost Stories by Elliott O'Donnell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [Number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Scottish Ghost Stories, by Elliott O'Donnell. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename scottishghoststories_##_odonnell_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. scottishghoststories_01_odonnell_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hello Sherry, I can MC this. Great choice for a first solo. I will be back with a MW in a few minutes. Stay tuned.

Also if you don't have a DPL in mind yet, I wouldn't mind taking it in charge as well. I am looking forward to getting spooked 8-)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

All right, MW is set up, and I gave you an example for the first section title. I leave you in charge to fill in the remaining titles.

To log into the MW, simply click on the BC Admin link right beneath the MW. It may ask you a new password, so simply click on "forgot pw" and they will send you a new one via email. Once you're in it's quite straightforward, I think. Just fill in the titles, and once you have a file ready, post the link in there, write the length of the file in the notes section and change the status to Ready for PL. Then also please make a post in this thread, so I get alerted that there is activity and new files for me to PL ;)

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :) Waiting for you read this, and then we'll move over to Going Solo.

Have fun !

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Hi Kitty, yes, please! And thanks for getting back so fast. I'll get it set up today. And try not to get lost in all the admin stuff, lol. The stories are fairly short and should be fun. Again, thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

beardiepaw wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 7:15 amI'll get it set up today. And try not to get lost in all the admin stuff, lol.
no worries, you'll manage, and if there are problems, I'm there :)

Moving over to Going solo then....

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Hi Kitty, yes, please! And thanks for getting back so fast. I'll get it set up today. And try not to get lost in all the admin stuff, lol. The stories are fairly short and should be fun. Again, thank you!

I do have one question. How do I handle the blank places where he does not identify the house such as: "____ house"?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

beardiepaw wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 7:30 amI do have one question. How do I handle the blank places where he does not identify the house such as: "____ house"?
ah yes, tricky question. I know that some readers use "blank - house" in that case. I personally don't like that too much but it's a valid way to put it. I would probably let my voice trail off a bit when saying this part. Maybe you know what I mean, example: "We spent an evening innn... [inaudible thinking pause, maybe a very soft, nearly inaudible "nnn"] ...house".

In the end it is your choice how to do this. These are two methods I already encountered, there may be others.

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Thanks, Sonia. That'll work for me. Now to get logged in.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh yes, something else I noticed when I wrote the first title in the MW. I know a copy/paste would be so much quicker, but in the book the titles are all in capital letters and I think that doesn't look good at all on the finished project page later on. Would you mind typing them in small letters instead of copying ? :?

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Sonia, I got in, logged in, but when I get to the dashboard, none of the choices take me to the mw link to add in my sections. I am getting there, slowly. I will be glad to type them in,btw.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

beardiepaw wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 8:01 amSonia, I got in, logged in, but when I get to the dashboard, none of the choices take me to the mw link to add in my sections. I am getting there, slowly. I will be glad to type them in,btw.
sorry, I had my dinner right now ;) it seems you managed to fill in the MW, so you solved the problem ? I am not really sure what you meant by your question :hmm:

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

Yes, i'm sorry. It wouldn't let me log in, so I had to log out, and then it worked. I'm sorry I bothered you, I think I have it all figured out. thanks for all the help you've given me. This is actually fun.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

beardiepaw wrote: December 4th, 2020, 10:57 amYes, i'm sorry. It wouldn't let me log in, so I had to log out, and then it worked.
ah ok, that was probably because you were logged in with the librivox uploader password. Yet some browsers still keep it in the cache, so you indeed have to delete the cache or log off or something, to log in with your personal password.

Sonia
beardiepaw

Post by beardiepaw »

HI, I posted Case 1 of Scottish Ghost Stories. Sorry for the dela, my sister who lives with me had a small stroke, it set me back a little. If there is something I"ve done wrong, please let me know and i will fix it. BTW, have you had any problems with the new windows update? It fouled this file all up and I had to redo much of it today. Thanks, Sher Morrow
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

beardiepaw wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:01 pmHI, I posted Case 1 of Scottish Ghost Stories. Sorry for the dela, my sister who lives with me had a small stroke, it set me back a little. If there is something I"ve done wrong, please let me know and i will fix it. BTW, have you had any problems with the new windows update? It fouled this file all up and I had to redo much of it today.
sorry to hear about your sister, I hope she is making a full recovery. And yes, it's understandable that you don't have the time for recording then.

I resisted updating Windows so far (don't have Windows 10 yet) because I already heard it would mess up the audio volume. So I keep hanging on to my old windows as long as possible :lol:

As for the section, you have to post the file link you uploaded here in the project and update the MW. Put the link into the "Listen URL" column and press enter. Then I can download it from there. Also update the final column with the Status to "Ready for PL" then I see it on my to-do-list.

Remember you have to name all your files according to this example in the first post: scottishghoststories_##_odonnell_128kb, changing the ## to your section number. So your first file should be called: scottishghoststories_01_odonnell_128kb

All the best for the New Year for both of you.

Sonia