[EXPLORATION] A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 25th, 2020, 8:14 pm

zachh wrote:
December 25th, 2020, 7:48 pm
I recorded 4 chapters today, but 3 are fairly short. Please don't feel like you need to PL right away, I know you have a lot of projects to do, and I had told you I would just do a chapter a week. I am speeding up a bit now while I have some extra free time, but I won't be through with recording the book for at least a month. I just realized as I was putting in the links that I left one of the Bs out of Hubbard in the file name for chapter 10. Do you know if I need to re-upload it or if my error can be fixed during cataloguing? I'm sorry I didn't pay better attention and catch that before I uploaded the files.

9 8:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_09_hubbard_128kb.mp3
10 10:26
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_10_hubard_128kb.mp3
11 9:56
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_11_hubbard_128kb.mp3
12 14:20
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_12_hubbard_128kb.mp3
This is a fun project for me; don't worry about sending me sections to hear.

As for the file name, I will correct it.

zachh
Posts: 74
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am
Location: Orwell, NY

Post by zachh » December 25th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Thank you, that's very kind of you. I'll proofread my file names in future, after I type them.

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 25th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Section 10 file name corrected.

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 26th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Sec. 9 through 12 PL OK!

I don't know why I haven't been listening to this book without a map in front of me.

zachh
Posts: 74
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am
Location: Orwell, NY

Post by zachh » December 26th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Thank you very much. I read it without a map in front of me, I had been looking for a map by including Mina Benson Hubbard in the Google search, but today I finally figured out that on the map she lists herself as Mrs. Leonidas J Hubbard, and under that name there is an unrestricted digital copy from the University of Toronto Libraries. I'll put in a link below, if outside links are not allowed I hope that a moderator will come and delete it.

https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/collections/scanned-maps/map-eastern-labrador

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 26th, 2020, 4:38 pm

zachh wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Thank you very much. I read it without a map in front of me, I had been looking for a map by including Mina Benson Hubbard in the Google search, but today I finally figured out that on the map she lists herself as Mrs. Leonidas J Hubbard, and under that name there is an unrestricted digital copy from the University of Toronto Libraries. I'll put in a link below, if outside links are not allowed I hope that a moderator will come and delete it.

https://mdl.library.utoronto.ca/collections/scanned-maps/map-eastern-labrador
Thank you!

zachh
Posts: 74
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am
Location: Orwell, NY

Post by zachh » December 27th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I've recorded another 3 chapters, but I don't plan to do any more now till next Sunday. Thank you very much for all of your help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_13_hubbard_128kb.mp3
5:59

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_14_hubbard_128kb.mp3
11:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_15_hubbard_128kb.mp3
13:42

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 27th, 2020, 4:30 pm

zachh wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 2:58 pm
I've recorded another 3 chapters, but I don't plan to do any more now till next Sunday. Thank you very much for all of your help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_13_hubbard_128kb.mp3
5:59

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_14_hubbard_128kb.mp3
11:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_15_hubbard_128kb.mp3
13:42
Okay, I'll meet you next Sunday in Labrador!

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 31st, 2020, 4:35 pm

zachh wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 2:58 pm
I've recorded another 3 chapters, but I don't plan to do any more now till next Sunday. Thank you very much for all of your help.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_13_hubbard_128kb.mp3
5:59

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_14_hubbard_128kb.mp3
11:14

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_15_hubbard_128kb.mp3
13:42
All three PL OK!

zachh
Posts: 74
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am
Location: Orwell, NY

Post by zachh » January 4th, 2021, 11:31 am

Thank you for all your help. I had these recorded and edited yesterday but ran out of time to listen back over them. Now all that is left are two ~15k word chunks of text, which I think I may be able to read in under 74 minutes each but I'm not sure. If I can I'll do them that way, if not I'll try to find a natural sounding place to split them into four chapters.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_16_hubbard_128kb.mp3
16:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_17_hubbard_128kb.mp3
19:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_18_hubbard_128kb.mp3
5:44

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » January 4th, 2021, 11:48 am

~15k each? 15k would take me almost 100 minutes.

(Incidentally, the advice I give is not to go over 72 minutes per section.)

If you decide to break the sections into parts, do you know how to add sections to the Magic Window?

zachh
Posts: 74
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am
Location: Orwell, NY

Post by zachh » January 4th, 2021, 2:48 pm

My besetting sin is reading too fast, and even with my best efforts to go slowly I don't seem to be able to overcome it. That last chapter of 4072 words came out to 19:44 after editing, so I think I may be under the limit. 72 minutes sounds good, I had seen 74 mentioned in another thread so that was what I had figured on. I have seen the link for how to add sections to the MW but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure when I'll get the first long section recorded and edited so I can see what I need to do, I'm hoping to have it ready to upload next Sunday but it'll depend how much time I make to work on it. It currently takes me about 3 or 4 times the finished length to edit a section, so I'm figuring at least 6 hours, probably more like 7 or 8, and then I'll know if I need to split it or not. Thank you very much for all of your advice and assistance.

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » January 4th, 2021, 3:04 pm

zachh wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 2:48 pm
My besetting sin is reading too fast, and even with my best efforts to go slowly I don't seem to be able to overcome it. That last chapter of 4072 words came out to 19:44 after editing, so I think I may be under the limit. 72 minutes sounds good, I had seen 74 mentioned in another thread so that was what I had figured on. I have seen the link for how to add sections to the MW but haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure when I'll get the first long section recorded and edited so I can see what I need to do, I'm hoping to have it ready to upload next Sunday but it'll depend how much time I make to work on it. It currently takes me about 3 or 4 times the finished length to edit a section, so I'm figuring at least 6 hours, probably more like 7 or 8, and then I'll know if I need to split it or not. Thank you very much for all of your advice and assistance.
Well, you sound like a pro to me. I guess we all need to edit to sound so good. One day I hope to get to where you are!

zachh
Posts: 74
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 5:02 am
Location: Orwell, NY

Post by zachh » January 4th, 2021, 3:55 pm

That's very generous of you. I have to edit a lot because I stutter when trying to start some sentences, and sometimes it takes me 10 or 12 tries to get something usable. I don't know why, but some combinations of sounds just seem to make me stick, or even be unable to start at all. I have never been able to say the title of this book entirely to my satisfaction, something about saying "A Woman's Way" always makes it comes out a little slurred, even when I redo it. Part of why I wanted to try reading for LibriVox is to try to learn to read aloud and speak better, and thanks to the wonders of digital editing I can make myself sound a lot more intelligible than I do in real life by cutting out all the bad parts.

KevinS
Posts: 10196
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » January 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm

zachh wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:31 am
Thank you for all your help. I had these recorded and edited yesterday but ran out of time to listen back over them. Now all that is left are two ~15k word chunks of text, which I think I may be able to read in under 74 minutes each but I'm not sure. If I can I'll do them that way, if not I'll try to find a natural sounding place to split them into four chapters.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_16_hubbard_128kb.mp3
16:02
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_17_hubbard_128kb.mp3
19:44
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_18_hubbard_128kb.mp3
5:44
All three sections PL OK!

Post Reply