The House In Town by Susan Warner-mtf

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

The House In Town by Susan Warner (1819 - 1885).

To be added later (Lily)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30148
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The House In Town by Susan Warner. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The House In Town, by Susan Warner. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename houseintown_##_warner_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. houseintown_01_warner_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Susan Warner
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The House In Town

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Pianolil on December 3rd, 2020, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

Hi can I please try to do a solo recording of this book? It is my first time to do a solo, but I'd like to give it a try!
Thanks,
Lily.
Is this what I should do?
Last edited by Pianolil on January 27th, 2021, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi, Lily! I can set this up for you.

Yes, you have filled out the template correctly, and this looks like a great book for a first-time solo! One pointer I'd give you is that if you have any comments or questions about your project, it's best to put them in a second post, so that the first post is a "clean" template, so to speak. I've split your question off into a separate comment to show you what I mean. :)

I'll be back in a minute with your MW.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, I have set up your MW. As a soloist, you will be in charge of keeping it up to date. Here is a rundown of how to do that: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window The login for the MW system is separate from the login to the forum, so the first time you access it, you'll need to set up a password. That link explains this in more detail, so be sure to pay attention to that.

I've filled in the first two sections for you. (You don't have to use Roman numerals if you don't want to. I just copied the format Gutenberg uses.) When you have access to the MW, go ahead and fill in the rest. Do you have a DPL already, or do we need to look for one?

Let me know if you run into trouble.
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

Thank you so much! :D I will try to follow the instructions that you sent in the link. I don't have a DPL yet.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Lily, I see that you have been able to edit the MW and have filled in all the section titles except the last one. I've added a tilde (~) to your subject line, which will indicate to potential DPLs that you are in need of one. We can wait a day or two longer in the launch pad, to see if the newly-added tilde will attract a DPL.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll go ahead and move this over to Going Solo. When you're ready, maybe after you have a few chapters in, you can advertise for a DPL over in Listeners Wanted.
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

Alright, thank you!
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Pianolil wrote: November 24th, 2020, 2:20 pm Here is the first chapter!
Duration: 30:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/houseintown_01_warner_128kb.mp3
Looks great! Don't forget to add the duration in the notes column of the MW. Otherwise, this is perfect.

(Oh, also, you don't really need to put the link in a post for a solo unless you want to. You could just as easily just say "Chapter 1 is ready for you" or something like that.)
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

Hi, chapter two is ready for PL! I feel like in this recording, my voice sounds muffled, and different from the first...I'm not sure why except that I am sitting farther from the computer. I hope it still sounds ok though. But I'm willing to try again if I could do better.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, proximity from the microphone can definitely make a noticeable difference. I don't know that I'd redo the whole thing if I were you, but it would be a good idea, from now on, to try to keep your setup, including distance, as consistent as possible every time you record.

I've posted an advertisement for a DPL for you, here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=83933
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

mightyfelix wrote: November 29th, 2020, 11:18 am Yes, proximity from the microphone can definitely make a noticeable difference. I don't know that I'd redo the whole thing if I were you, but it would be a good idea, from now on, to try to keep your setup, including distance, as consistent as possible every time you record.

I've posted an advertisement for a DPL for you, here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=83933
Thank you! I will do my best to do that
Pianolil

Post by Pianolil »

I rerecorded the chapter because I couldn't bear how I sounded :lol: This time it sounds better, I think!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've had a first listen to Chapter 1 and think I will enjoy listening to more. There are some things that must be addressed, though.

The volume needs to be raised by 10 dB and I feel the sound could be improved by a run through the noise reduction effect. I'll be happy to explain how that is done if you'd like.

The oddity here, however, is that you begin repeating what sounds like a long section from the beginning of the chapter at 6:44. Would you please have a listen and a look? Once that is addressed, I'll be happy to listen again and give a proper PL.