~[POETRY] Spenser's Four Hymns - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 13th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Four Hymns by Edmund Spenser (1552 - 1599).

Spenser explains in the dedication of this volume that the hymns to love and to beauty were written early in his career and their "heavenlie" counterparts much later, in response to the dissatisfaction that one of the author's patrons expressed toward the earlier poems, although to a modern sensibility those are in no way offensive except perhaps in focusing upon the sublunary world. However that may be, all four poems are idealistic, expressing the neo-Platonic philosophy that was growing in popularity in Elizabethan England. According to this doctrine, the soul is primary and shapes the body that clothes it. The material world is only a pale reflection of the ideal world, and mortals gradually, through growth from infancy to old age, unfold, or "dilate," the many-dimensioned wholeness of their being as it exists in eternity. Life on earth, a journey to heaven, is conceived of as the pursuit of beauty, the proper object of earthly love, and the quest of love leads the soul back to the source of love and beauty, God. The structure of The Faerie Queene rests upon this concept. ( T. A. Copeland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10602/
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Poetry/Lyric
    Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, love, neoplatonism
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Four Hymns. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Four Hymns, by Edmund Spenser. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Four Hymns by Edmund Spenser. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Four Hymns, by Edmund Spenser. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename fourhymns_##_spenser_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fourhymns_01_spenser_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Last edited by chymocles on November 25th, 2020, 6:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 14th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Hi Tom,

nice to have you back! I'll set this up for you! :D

Aaand, we're ready to go! Let's stay here for a few days and see if we can catch us a DPL.
Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 15th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Hi, there! I'm glad to be back, too. I'm ready to upload the first part. I forget how to gain access to the MW, though.

Tom

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 15th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Click the "BC Admin" link below the MW and enter your username - chymocles - and your password. :wink:

Let me know if you need further help.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 15th, 2020, 4:48 pm

But there isn't a BC link below the pane.

Tom

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 15th, 2020, 5:07 pm

It says "BC Admin", below the MW and just above the list with the genres. But it's in a similar color than the background, so it may be difficult to see.

Here you go: https://librivox.org/section_compiler/15898
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 15th, 2020, 5:23 pm

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 21st, 2020, 12:08 pm

Part 2 is completed. I probably should mention that I have corrected a couple of obvious misprints (the text made no sense and the errors were easy to spot). I intend to send these to the compositor, but I prefer to send them all at once, and so they will probably not be corrected by the time the file is proofed,

Tom

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 21st, 2020, 4:54 pm

I thought you would :wink:

In any case, let's move us to "Going Solo" for now.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 21st, 2020, 5:34 pm

I've broken in a laptop computer for this work, and it's been an interesting day, but I passed Checker's test with Part 3, which will be found here: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/fourhymns_03_spenser_128kb.mp3.

Tom
Last edited by chymocles on November 22nd, 2020, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 21st, 2020, 5:43 pm

I"m glad things run smoothly!

I have advertised for a DPL, hopefully somebody will come forward soon.

Also, I have claimed the cover for you, just upload it as usual when you're done. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 23rd, 2020, 9:34 am

Things are no longer running smoothly. I have created numerous MP3 files for Part 4. All have failed because the sampling rate was judged by the Checker to be other than 44.1 kHz. I have reset the Audacity preferences to 32 Hz and 48 Hz (I don't know what "kHz" means, and it is not in the preferences). These trials failed because the rate was as specified. However, whenever I set the preferences for 44.1, Checker always tells me that it is 48. I have two computers with all the programs installed, and on both the results are exactly the same.

I also tried saving the file was a Wave and opening it in Audition (also set to 44,100), from which I then created an MP3 file, likewise read by Checker as 48,000.

I have sent one of the failed files which I think should have passed:
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/fourhymns_04_spenser_128kb.mp3. Please tell me if your software agrees about the incorrect sampling rate.

Thanks,

Tom

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 23rd, 2020, 4:34 pm

Tom, it is indeed 48000 Hz.

Are you recording with audacity? Then open the file in audacity and check the little window in the lower left hand corner - it says indeed 48000 there. You can change it there as well (it's a drop-down) and try to re-export.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

chymocles

Post by chymocles » November 24th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Audacity is powerful and has a superior continual noise-removal tool, but I've never learned how to record in it. I do all my recording and editing in Audition and then massage it in Audacity to make it ready for uploading or archiving.

However, I found the spot that you mentioned in the Audacity file and solved the problem. Very likely changing the preferences will affect only files created subsequently to the adjustment. The file in question has been uploaded: https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/fourhymns_04_spenser_128kb.mp3. Since no DPL has been found, and since we are nowhere near my deadline, I think I will re-record the three earlier poems. I merely digitized old tapes of mine to be done with the matter, but I am not happy with the results. The fourth poem was recorded in the present, and I like that reading better. I want to bring the others up to snuff. So I have marked them as "Assigned" and only the fourth as "Ready for PL."

Thanks,

Tom

ConnerRuschmeyer

Post by ConnerRuschmeyer » Yesterday, 8:47 pm

Hello, I Proof listened to Part 1, while I did not notice any speaking errors, pauses, or anything of that sort, there was a constant "rustling" white noise in the background and it does a bit of a spike at 2:12. Perhaps this audio can be edited and fixed for that issue, but overall the rest is great.