[DUET/COLLECTION] The Shorter Works of Tertullian Volume 1-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » November 23rd, 2020, 7:22 am

dronald wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:52 pm
Concerning Prayer PL notes:

10:46 Repeated phrase "for the Lord had also given the command: seek first the kingdom and then these things also will be added unto you"

16:42 Repeated phrase "to build on it"

Wonderful read. Well done.
Reuploaded with the changes.

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » November 23rd, 2020, 7:56 am

dronald wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am
I have fixed the errors.

If you have any advice on how to make audio splices less obvious, I would really appreciate it. It seems like the solution is worse than the problem no matter how hard I try.
Play around with filter curves (an effect) in audacity. Editing by ear will usually be enough to get it not too noticable. If you prefer to have some data, you can go to Analyse-> Plot Spectrum and compare a section of the base recording with your recorded section. Also be careful to match the surrounding volume.

dronald
Posts: 105
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 23rd, 2020, 5:26 pm

InTheDesert wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 7:22 am
dronald wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:52 pm
Concerning Prayer PL notes:

10:46 Repeated phrase "for the Lord had also given the command: seek first the kingdom and then these things also will be added unto you"

16:42 Repeated phrase "to build on it"

Wonderful read. Well done.
Reuploaded with the changes.
PL: OK

I'll also see what I can do about the sound change tonight.

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » November 23rd, 2020, 6:54 pm

dronald wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 5:26 pm
I'll also see what I can do about the sound change tonight.
No pressure from my end to get the edit neat - only to the extent that you want it done. Let me know at any point that you are happy with it and I'll PL ok it.

dronald
Posts: 105
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 24th, 2020, 12:45 pm

InTheDesert wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 6:54 pm
dronald wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 5:26 pm
I'll also see what I can do about the sound change tonight.
No pressure from my end to get the edit neat - only to the extent that you want it done. Let me know at any point that you are happy with it and I'll PL ok it.
I'm good with it as it is. I may get a new microphone at boxing day so that it's easier to match my voice when I go back to it. My current one is extremely sensitive.

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » November 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm

dronald wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 12:45 pm
I'm good with it as it is. I may get a new microphone at boxing day so that it's easier to match my voice when I go back to it. My current one is extremely sensitive.
Marked as PL ok. You might find this recent thread useful.

I've started on On Modesty and I'm discovering that serveral of the works that I've lined up might run over 74 minutes and if so, I'll pull it out of this collection and launch it as a separate project. His Montanist self is a lot harsher than the warmth of earlier.

dronald
Posts: 105
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 28th, 2020, 3:29 pm

InTheDesert wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm
dronald wrote:
November 24th, 2020, 12:45 pm
I'm good with it as it is. I may get a new microphone at boxing day so that it's easier to match my voice when I go back to it. My current one is extremely sensitive.
Marked as PL ok. You might find this recent thread useful.

I've started on On Modesty and I'm discovering that serveral of the works that I've lined up might run over 74 minutes and if so, I'll pull it out of this collection and launch it as a separate project. His Montanist self is a lot harsher than the warmth of earlier.
Thanks. After I added "Against all Heresies" to the list, I had trouble finding anything else that would be considered short by him.

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » November 29th, 2020, 9:45 pm

You know what? We can probably split some of his works in half and do a part 1 & 2. If it's a many part work then it should be its own thing but no harm in doing something that's ~1.5 hours into the collection.

dronald
Posts: 105
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 30th, 2020, 8:44 am

Sure that's fine.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16458
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » November 30th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Just listening in ...

I like the idea of putting "short" works in this collection, even if they are in two parts. Seems like 2 sections is a bit short for a stand alone project, and once a listener gets here, it's great to offer as many works as make sense to include - so they don't have to go looking for others.

MaryAnn

dronald
Posts: 105
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Post by dronald » November 30th, 2020, 8:42 pm

To his wife:
At 18:20 you said "Wherefore, so far as we can, let us love the opportunity of continence; as often as it offers itself.

should be "as soon as it offers itself" Also right about that time it sounds like a dog is yapping in the background.

31:45 you said "for who would doubt that flesh undergoes a daily process of obliteration by unbelieving intercourse"

should be "for who would doubt that faith undergoes a daily process of obliteration by unbelieving intercourse"

39:30 you said "that it can in no case be carried to a preposterous end"

Unfortunately that simple slip changes the meaning quite a bit which should read: "that it can in no case be carried to a prosperous end"

And as always, it was a pleasure listening to your reading.

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » December 4th, 2020, 8:47 pm

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 8:12 pm
Just listening in ...

I like the idea of putting "short" works in this collection, even if they are in two parts. Seems like 2 sections is a bit short for a stand alone project, and once a listener gets here, it's great to offer as many works as make sense to include - so they don't have to go looking for others.

MaryAnn
On Modesty is most likely going to come out at ~160 minutes. Do you think it would be better to:
a) Make it its own project
b) Try to do some editing magic and make it two parts of 74 minutes each
c) Have three parts in this collection?

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16458
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 4:37 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 4th, 2020, 8:53 pm

I think it's fine to have 3 parts in this project.

After my last post, I was thinking. And I've PL'd a collection of stories by Elizabeth Gaskell - collected misc works. Many of them ran a couple of sections. The format worked well for me as a listener. So I'd feel free to include anything you want in this collection, don't worry about it running over a couple of sections. I don't think the listeners will care in the least.

MaryAnn

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » December 5th, 2020, 11:10 am

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 8:53 pm
I think it's fine to have 3 parts in this project.

After my last post, I was thinking. And I've PL'd a collection of stories by Elizabeth Gaskell - collected misc works. Many of them ran a couple of sections. The format worked well for me as a listener. So I'd feel free to include anything you want in this collection, don't worry about it running over a couple of sections. I don't think the listeners will care in the least.

MaryAnn
So shall it be.

InTheDesert
Posts: 337
Joined: August 20th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Post by InTheDesert » December 7th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Part 1 of his full blown Montanist On Modesty is up.
Last edited by InTheDesert on December 7th, 2020, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply