Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dronald

Post by dronald »

On Modesty Part 3 PL Notes:

1:39 You left out the phrase "You have at the very outset of the Psalms"

19:19 You said "I wish however reluctantly..."
The text reads "I wish however redundantly..."

Good reading.
Tertullian acting like he's as sinless as Jesus Himself. I'm pretty sure he's wrong about basically everything he wrote in this work... I certainly hope he is!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

On Female Dress: Purple clothes are of the devil because sheep are not purple - Tertullian

Any interest in joining in for Calvin's only not-olde-English set of sermons?
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: December 15th, 2020, 8:13 pm On Female Dress: Purple clothes are of the devil because sheep are not purple - Tertullian

Any interest in joining in for Calvin's only not-olde-English set of sermons?
2 Timothy 3:16-17 sure sounds tempting. But given that Tertullian's stuff will take hours and hours to PL and record, I'm not going to pick up much more.

We'll see if there's another lockdown here or not though...
dronald

Post by dronald »

On Modesty Part 1 is PL OK now.
You missed the removal of the intro repetition of the 2nd part though. Fix that up and that will be OK too.

(Also, I may take a break from reading and just start recording for a bit. There's an awful lot of works to do which I didn't expect. I thought his "shorter works" would only be works that are under an hour or so to read but I notice the list keeps growing, and with multiple parts too. I don't mind continuing, but I am not active enough to do a lot of reading while also recording. So as long as you're okay with waiting a while, I can still DPL all of these works but I do want to start on those Augustine Psalms as well as the works of Tertullian that I've requested. I may also start a new book soon.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:07 pm On Modesty Part 1 is PL OK now.
You missed the removal of the intro repetition of the 2nd part though. Fix that up and that will be OK too.

(Also, I may take a break from reading and just start recording for a bit. There's an awful lot of works to do which I didn't expect. I thought his "shorter works" would only be works that are under an hour or so to read but I notice the list keeps growing, and with multiple parts too. I don't mind continuing, but I am not active enough to do a lot of reading while also recording. So as long as you're okay with waiting a while, I can still DPL all of these works but I do want to start on those Augustine Psalms as well as the works of Tertullian that I've requested. I may also start a new book soon.
You've done such a diligent job! I know what you mean about the proliferation of works. What if we cut it off after #22 and I advertise for a DPL so that you are spared more of Tully and will also have more time to record your sections and others?
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:49 pm
dronald wrote: December 16th, 2020, 7:07 pm On Modesty Part 1 is PL OK now.

You've done such a diligent job! I know what you mean about the proliferation of works. What if we cut it off after #22 and I advertise for a DPL so that you are spared more of Tully and will also have more time to record your sections and others?
Thank you!

And that sounds good to me. Maybe I'll end up reading some Calvin with you.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:44 pm Once you click on the magnifying glass, all you need to enter is a link for the source. The rest of the fields in the magnifying glass area will be filled in automatically when I catalog.
Hi MaryAnn,

Could you do us the favour of deleting section 23 onwards? Would it be possible too, to change the title to The Shorter Works of Tertullian Volume 1? (If not, it's fine - but just to prepare for someone else to come along and finish them or maybe I'll do it as a solo at some point).
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sure! except I got carried away and deleted 22 as well. Sorry about that ... but by this time, you're very skilled at adding sections, so I hope it will all work out in the end ... :lol:

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 16th, 2020, 8:47 pm Sure! except I got carried away and deleted 22 as well. Sorry about that ... but by this time, you're very skilled at adding sections, so I hope it will all work out in the end ... :lol:

MaryAnn
Rectified. Thanks heaps!

What's the process for advertising for a DPL? Do I just post a thread in Listeners Wanted? Is there a particular format to use?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yes, you post in Listeners Wanted. There is a template here: http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

After you post, an admin will be along to stickie and lock the post -- so it stays at the top until you find a DPL, and so prospective DPLs have to post over here rather than in the advert thread.

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 16th, 2020, 9:04 pm Yes, you post in Listeners Wanted. There is a template here: http://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

After you post, an admin will be along to stickie and lock the post -- so it stays at the top until you find a DPL, and so prospective DPLs have to post over here rather than in the advert thread.

MaryAnn
Will do. Lemme write the description text for this project first so that people know what they are in for.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: December 16th, 2020, 8:04 pm Thank you!

And that sounds good to me. Maybe I'll end up reading some Calvin with you.
I'm thinking about a blurb for the project - I am reticent to put my name to material about which I have such mixed feelings, but nor do I want to write a takedown of him that is less than neutral. I wonder if the best solution is to quote the takedown (and praise) of someone else.

I have extracted the sentences from The history of the church of Christ by Joseph Milner: https://archive.org/details/historyofchurc01miln/page/266/mode/2up

What do you think?
"In the latter part of the second and in the former part of the third century there flourished at Carthage the famous Tertullian, the first Latin writer of the church whose works are come down to us. All his writings betray a sour, monastic, harsh, and severe turn of mind. "Touch not, taste not, handle not," might seem to have been the maxims of his religious conduct. The abilities of Tertullian, as an orator and a scholar, are far from being contemptible, and have doubtless given him a reputation to which his theological knowledge by no means entitles him. Yet the man seems always in good earnest, and therefore much more estimable than thousands who would take a pleasure in despising him, while they themselves are covered with profaneness. It is not for us to condemn, after all, a man who certainly honoured Christ, defended several fundamental Christian doctrines, took large pains in supporting what he took to be true religion, and ever meant to serve God. The Montanists, whose austerities were extreme, and whose enthusiasm was real, seduced at length our severe African, and he not only joined them, but wrote in their defence, and treated the body of christians from whom he separated with much contempt. He, in a great measure, left the montanists afterwards, and formed a sect of his own, called Tertullianists, who continued in Africa till Augustine's time, by whose labours their existence, as a sect, was brought to a close." (Extracted from Joseph Milner, The History of the Church of Christ, p.267-275)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hello :)

I can't commit to DPL, but I have a little time just now for prooflistening. So I'm pulling Section 13 to listen to.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 13 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
dronald

Post by dronald »

Excellent. I marked it.

Christmas season has been a busy one so I haven't been able to get to as much as I would like. Feel free to jump in and do some listening whenever you'd like!