COMPLETE [DUET/COLLECTION] The Shorter Works of Tertullian Volume 1-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Here's a list of his works, sorted by whether they should be in the collection or their own projects. Feel free to take the first pick of the remaining ones. We should update the MW for the multi-section ones so that we get the numbering right.

Its own project
Shorter Works Collection
  • Apologeticum (Apology)
  • Ad Scapulam (To Scapula)
  • Ad nationes (To the nations)
  • De testimonio animae (On the testimony of the soul)
  • De praescriptione haereticorum (On the prescription of the heretics)
  • Adversus Hermogenem (Against Hermogenes) (3 sections)
  • Adversus Judaeos (Against the Jews) (? sections)
  • Adversus Marcionem (Against Marcion) (12 sections)
  • Adversus Praxean (Against Praxeas) (3 sections)
  • Adversus Valentinianos (Against the Valentinians) (2 sections)
  • De anima (On the soul) (6 sections)
  • De baptismo (On baptism)
  • De carne Christi (On the flesh of Christ) (2 sections)
  • De resurrectione carnis (On the resurrection of the flesh) (6 sections)
  • Scorpiace (Antidote to the Gnostics) (2 sections)
  • Ad martyras (To the martyrs)
  • Ad uxorem (To my wife)
  • De corona (On the garland)
  • De cultu feminarum (On female fashion)
  • De exhortatione castitatis (On an exhortation to chastity) (1 section)
  • De fuga in persecutione (On running away from persecution)
  • De idololatria (On idolatry) (1 section)
  • De ieiunio adversus psychicos (On fasting, against the carnal believers) (2 sections)
  • De monogamia (On monogamy) (2 sections)
  • De oratione (On prayer)
  • De paenitentia (On repentance)
  • De pallio (On the philosopher's cloak) (1 section)
  • De patientia (On patience) (1 section)
  • De puditicia (On modesty)
  • De spectaculis (On the games) (1 section)
  • De virginibus velandis (On head-coverings for unmarried girls)
Last edited by InTheDesert on December 9th, 2020, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: 25-26 DPL 21 43 27-28
dronald

Post by dronald »

Okay great. I'll figure out if there's anything else I would like to pick up. I'm not sure how many writings are left that can fit into one part.

Also, On Baptism is ready for PL. The guy who translated it either had a Thesaurus or was a Thesaurus. Hardest English I've dealt with yet.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

dronald wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:53 pm I'm not sure how many writings are left that can fit into one part.
They can be 2 or 3 sections ... you'll just need to add sections to the MW if they are. Use the "Add New Section" button at the top of the MW. The new section will be created at the bottom. Then click and drag it where you need it to be in the MW.

MaryAnn
dronald

Post by dronald »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 8th, 2020, 3:08 pm
dronald wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:53 pm I'm not sure how many writings are left that can fit into one part.
They can be 2 or 3 sections ... you'll just need to add sections to the MW if they are. Use the "Add New Section" button at the top of the MW. The new section will be created at the bottom. Then click and drag it where you need it to be in the MW.

MaryAnn
For sure. I'm just thinking if there is anything that can be done in one part, I could put it in section 17 or 19. If not then I think we ought to move everything we've selected, but haven't finished up in the list. Then we can leave the bottom blank to fill in whatever extra books and the amount of "parts" it would likely take to complete.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: December 8th, 2020, 6:15 pm For sure. I'm just thinking if there is anything that can be done in one part, I could put it in section 17 or 19. If not then I think we ought to move everything we've selected, but haven't finished up in the list. Then we can leave the bottom blank to fill in whatever extra books and the amount of "parts" it would likely take to complete.
I've marked the single section ones in the list ;)

A few things:
1. Feel no compulsion to keep recording to finish off all his shorter works. I'm happy to take the remainder if you would prefer and even willing to split the collection off into part 1 and part 2 if PLing is arduous. My goal is to get them recorded but life can get busy and projects can become bigger than they seemed. I've been having fun digging out obscure works that I don't think anyone has recorded before. If it's worth anything, I've dropped the Librivox link to the Tertullian WP page so your apology might get some extra listens!
2. The reason I did alternating sections (roughly) was so that it felt more like a duet. If you think that any of yours will take multiple sections where they are currently one, you are welcome to rearrange things. As long as you keep the original files, it's not too hard to change the filenames to match the rearranged sections.
3. In case you didn't know, Against All Heresies was almost certainly not written by Tertullian, though it has a long history of being attributed to him. It's very welcome to land in this collection, just as long as you aren't thinking it has to be included in order to complete his works.

Thanks for all your work. I'll PL Baptism soon. Which translation did you use? (So I can mark it in the MW).
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:08 pm A few things:
1. Feel no compulsion to keep recording to finish off all his shorter works. I'm happy to take the remainder if you would prefer and even willing to split the collection off into part 1 and part 2 if PLing is arduous. My goal is to get them recorded but life can get busy and projects can become bigger than they seemed. I've been having fun digging out obscure works that I don't think anyone has recorded before. If it's worth anything, I've dropped the Librivox link to the Tertullian WP page so your apology might get some extra listens!
Thanks! I'm still happy to keep going with you. I can't read quite as much as you can, but I would be happy to continue. I can't think of a better hobby when I have free time. Though things might be crazy for me in March, but I think that leaves us plenty of time.
InTheDesert wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:08 pm 2. The reason I did alternating sections (roughly) was so that it felt more like a duet. If you think that any of yours will take multiple sections where they are currently one, you are welcome to rearrange things. As long as you keep the original files, it's not too hard to change the filenames to match the rearranged sections.
Good to know!
InTheDesert wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:08 pm 3. In case you didn't know, Against All Heresies was almost certainly not written by Tertullian, though it has a long history of being attributed to him. It's very welcome to land in this collection, just as long as you aren't thinking it has to be included in order to complete his works.
Oh really? I had no idea. I was going off https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/ which lists it as one of his works, also called "Appendix". Besides this, there's many works that say "Sometimes attributed to Tertullian" which I've avoided so far. Perhaps New Advent is the one who's got it backwards.
InTheDesert wrote: December 8th, 2020, 7:08 pm Thanks for all your work. I'll PL Baptism soon. Which translation did you use? (So I can mark it in the MW).
https://archive.org/details/antenicenefather03robeuoft/page/668/mode/2up

Edit: Mobile makes it look like everything below The Martyrdom of Perpetua and Felicity is sometimes attributed to Tertullian. I just checked on my computer and apparently it's only that work.
dronald

Post by dronald »

On modesty part 1 PL notes:

23:41
you said "what doest thou, gentlest and humanist disciple"

The text says - what doest thou, gentlest and humanist discipline"

38:52 missing phrase "nor does he remain there"

1:02:38 it sounded like you said "and the counsel embodied therein, will cease only with the world."

It reads "and the counsel embodied therein, will cease only with the word."

Well done. If you want to keep picking up books to read by Tertullian that would be fine. I don't feel we need an even amount. I'll just get through these books I've chosen and then go for more if there's any left!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:53 pm Also, On Baptism is ready for PL. The guy who translated it either had a Thesaurus or was a Thesaurus. Hardest English I've dealt with yet.
Well read! You set yourself a difficult task with this translation (Souter's is easier). I've decided not to continue with Augustine on the Psalms because of the difficulty of the translation.

He's very interesting isn't he. His discussion of whether the apsotles were baptised and his understanding of martyrdom as a second baptism (and a second opportunity for remission of sins) is fascinating (whatever else one might think about it). He holds a similar assumption in On Modesty but seems to think that mortal sins will not be remitted even at martyrdom.

PL notes:
As usual - if this is how it is pronounced in your part of the world, let it stand or if the editing gets messy :)
(optional) ~35:00 "incumbent"
(optional) ~39:40 "incongruous"
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Hi MaryAnn,

Could I just check which MW fields are important and which are not? Link to the text is obviously important but does Duration/MP3 URL/Author matter too?

Thanks heaps
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Once you click on the magnifying glass, all you need to enter is a link for the source. The rest of the fields in the magnifying glass area will be filled in automatically when I catalog.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 10th, 2020, 7:44 pm Once you click on the magnifying glass, all you need to enter is a link for the source. The rest of the fields in the magnifying glass area will be filled in automatically when I catalog.
Very helpful!
dronald

Post by dronald »

On Modesty Part 2 PL Notes:

Intro is repeated.

3:45 You said: "As not at least to have extracted from the criminal"
The text reads: "As not at least to have exacted from the criminal"

4:03 You said "As if he were making satisfaction to them"
The text reads ""As if he were making satisfaction to him" (I wasn't sure about this one, but I think it changes the meaning enough that it may be worth fixing. I'll leave it up to you.)

32:26 You said "no longer, to with, requiring (the command)"
The text reads "no longer, to with, requiting (the command"

37:47 you said "And because of sin"
The text reads "and became of sin" (Though both sentences are Theologically accurate, I think this one may need to be fixed.)

You also repeated the outro.
dronald

Post by dronald »

Also, I'm happy with how On Baptism sounds!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

On Fasting, part 1 is up where Tertullian explains that people have told him some very sound things about why Tertullian is wrong about fasting and instead of listening to their good advice, Tertullian decides to take them down. Including explaining that the cause of all sin was Adam ignoring that first command about... fasting. This guy...
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: December 12th, 2020, 8:33 pm On Fasting, part 1 is up where Tertullian explains that people have told him some very sound things about why Tertullian is wrong about fasting and instead of listening to their good advice, Tertullian decides to take them down. Including explaining that the cause of all sin was Adam ignoring that first command about... fasting. This guy...
I didn't expect to disagree with this guy as much as I do. He's hilarious.

After listening to "on modesty" part 1, I was like "Tertullian, have you not read the 2nd chapter of 2 Corinthians?" And then to my surprise he spends part 2 answering this question. And his answer at the end is entirely insufficient. He's basically like, "that's one example, don't make a big deal out of it." Haha.